EA Slashes Prices Across Origin Today

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
EA Slashes Prices Across Origin Today

Do you like cheap PC games? Then head over to the Origin Store and snag some sweet, sweet discounts.

EA has a big holiday treat available for Origin customers: The publisher has launched a one-day sale on the Origin Store that's knocked about 40% off of most of the games that are for sale.

Over 200 titles have been discounted, including Batman: Arkham City, The Sims 3, and Battlefield 3. So, if you've been holding off on picking up some last-minute gifts for your friends, are just looking to snag some deals for yourself, or have decided that you need to outdo <a href=http://escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114667-Watch-the-Greatest-Plane-Kill-in-Battlefield-3>that epic plane kill in Battlefield 3, then you might want to head over to the store and shop 'til you drop.

Source: <a href=http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/html/pbPage.holiday-deals-2011?easid=Origin-40offsale_Web_Hero>Origin

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
The discount isn't here, in the Netherlands, possible whole Europe. :(

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And all you need to do is use a service that likes to ban you from your games.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
I do sincerely hope against hope that this is a sign that the anti-origin movement is actually working, and that this is an attempt by EA to get people into a struggling system. 40% is tempting... But no EA, I will not use your spyware disguised as a gaming client.

Toby Kitching

Oct 24, 2011
I was just as pissed off about the whole origin thing as everyone, but I looked at the new EULA and it's not far different from the Steam one. they both collect data about application usage and computer hardware; the original Origin EULA was appallingly vague, but the new one is much better. I'm okay with origin now. Besides, the ability to online shop for EA products and upload them to play from any computer via cloud computing is pretty useful

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
4RM3D said:
The discount isn't here, in the Netherlands, possible whole Europe. :(
Not here in Germany either.
Damm... 40% off BF3 and would have got it.
Maybe well get them later.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
To be honest, between the data mining they carry out and the ban system that apparently runs according to the whims of an Elder God, the only way I'd download anything from or use Origin in any way is if it was completely free.

No way in Hell am I investing money in a system that bans you based on someone else's forums post and requires you to enter an internet mother-effing browser page to play a single player game as well as the content 'service itself'. May as well roll it up and smoke it, better value...

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Toby Kitching said:
I was just as pissed off about the whole origin thing as everyone, but I looked at the new EULA and it's not far different from the Steam one. they both collect data about application usage and computer hardware; the original Origin EULA was appallingly vague, but the new one is much better. I'm okay with origin now. Besides, the ability to online shop for EA products and upload them to play from any computer via cloud computing is pretty useful
Maybe so but there has been a trust fostered between Valve and PC games. I'm not saying that this trust isn't potentially misplaced, but EA has never given gamers a reason to trust them.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Couldn't Origin block you out of your legally purchased games at their slightest whim, or when they are moody,
or when the moon is at its very zenith?

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Not effective in Europe? Come on EA, you're *really* pushing it now, why won't you let me not hate you???

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
The wheels of capitalism are working, though several more online distributers are needed to do away with the current oligopily

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Nah, I'd rather save my money for the Steam holiday sale. There will be a lot more games and the prices of some of the games will drop a lot more than 40%.
So I don't really see a reason why I should buy there now.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Micalas said:
Toby Kitching said:
Maybe so but there has been a trust fostered between Valve and PC games. I'm not saying that this trust isn't potentially misplaced, but EA has never given gamers a reason to trust them.
There are still major differences between Steams user agreement and origins. I also agree with Micalas, Valve has earned trust, EA has not.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
This could be good news to me......... If I actully used origins, however I see no reason for me to use origin when I can just use steam which will still have more games on sale and for cheaper discounts. It also has the plus side of not being owned and run by a company I hate who could stop me from playing any of my games that I purchased simply because I commited the horrible and vile act of swearing.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
iLikeHippos said:
Couldn't Origin block you out of your legally purchased games at their slightest whim, or when they are moody,
or when the moon is at its very zenith?
So can any DD. Steam included. It's in every digital service ToS. In theory a publisher has right to lock You out of hard-copy as well, just not real means to do so. All the games You ever bought in Your life - it's just limited licence to use the software, and the licence can be terminated.

Oh well. It's Steam fanbois problem if They don't want to take advantage of discounts. Not mine.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
It's not that I have a problem with origin's EULA, in general those agreements contain all kinds of anti-consumer language that never actually gets invoked.

My problem with origin is EA's terrible reputation (that goes back in time before origin existed) that I've also experienced first hand with all their "make an EA account to play the off-line game you bought - nag, nag, nag." It's not the DRM, it's that they turn PC gaming into a cheap, over-commercialized experience. The way they constantly advertise their shit at me, in-game, is completely unacceptable. I wouldn't install origin even if the games were all discounted 100%, even for free I wouldn't install any EA shit.