EA Still Confident in BioWare

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
EA Still Confident in BioWare

Despite the criticisms of its latest three games, BioWare still has the full support of Electronic Arts.

BioWare is in a very unique position at the moment. One the one hand, its last three games were arguably the most anticipated of the developers entire history. On the other hand, those three games were Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, and Star Wars: The Old Republic, the first two of which divided the fanbases of its franchises while the third <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117133-The-Old-Republic-Population-Shrinking>saw subscription figures drop six months after launch. Despite the ups and downs of the past 18 months, BioWare still has friends backing it up, in particular EA COO Peter Moore, who still has confidence in what the developer can accomplish.

"They're doing great," Moore told Eurogamer. "You say the last 12-18 months, I think of three things: I think of Star Wars: The Old Republic, I think of what Mass Effect 3 has done and all of the offshoots we've done of that, and then a little bit further back Dragon Age. So from that perspective I think the studio has done great."

Moore noted that most of the problems faced by these games had little to do with the products themselves, all of which enticed the gaming community. Mass Effect 3 alone generated over $200 million in sales while <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111932-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Breaking-EAs-Pre-Order-Records>The Old Republic was EA's most pre-ordered game ever. The difficulties were based almost entirely on the receptions of certain game elements, which Moore and BioWare can use to better develop games in the future. "Nobody in entertainment has more passion and a bigger megaphone than gamers," Moore said regarding the Mass Effect 3 ending. "So the team at BioWare, again, to their credit, said, all right, we're going to stop a few things right now, the team's going to go back and provide some DLC, no charge, to provide more context around what went on there."

Mass Effect isn't the only BioWare franchise attempting to adapt to its fans after a shaky start. The team is already using player feedback as it develops Dragon Age 3, while <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118818-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Goes-Free-to-Play>The Old Republic will go free-to-play to draw back the subscribers it initially lost. "So rather than crying about spilt milk," Moore continued, "we're going to evolve [The Old Republic] into a hybrid model ... We're just reacting to consumer feedback by doing that."

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-22-peter-moore-gives-bioware-vote-of-confidence-after-tumultuous-18-months>Eurogamer

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"You guys are doing great, right Greg and Ray?"

"Uh, yeah sure... can you point that gun away from my head now?"

It's hard for me to share Moore's enthusiasm >.>

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Every time I see a statement come from either EA upper management or a Bioware employee, I imagine Baghdad Bob standing in front of Saddam Hussein's castle saying, "Nothing is wrong! Everything is perfectly fine!"

...I have a strange mind.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I can't help but feel that the reason this article was written is exclusively because of EA.

"Nah they're doing fine...What was that? Pushing deadlines on unfinished products? Cutting features for the sake of broadening the audience? Noooo, we would never make them do that."

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Oh god.

EA, you guys having confidence in something is the kiss of death. It's like David Cameron, George Osborn or Nick Clegg declaring their confidence in something: It guarantees it's destruction in short order.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Unfortunatly we're beginning to see Biowares flaws the more they make games. DA2 was crud. Mass Effect 3 managed to piss of a ton of fans with the liniar ending, and SWTORS rapid decline. Unless Bioware can pick up the slack they might find themselves facing EAs wrath. I mean if the guy who made Plants Vs Zombies isn't safe from getting the axe, who is?

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Honestly, is this really surprising? Someone want to throw out another EA developer that's been doing even marginally well? Who else is there... Visceral? Maxis? Popcap? Last game of theirs that wasn't Bioware I was looking forward to was SSX. Next one I'm looking forward to is Overstrike... and when the hell is Insomniac gonna finish up that one?

They've had some horrid luck with their games recently... APB, BulletStorm, Hellgate: London, Kingdoms of Amalur, Syndicate, Spore... I have a feeling they'll need to shrink and consolidate here pretty soon before someone buys them out and does it for them.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Vie said:
Oh god.

EA, you guys having confidence in something is the kiss of death. It's like David Cameron, George Osborn or Nick Clegg declaring their confidence in something: It guarantees it's destruction in short order.
Oh Parliament, you so silly

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Translation: "We're still making just enough money off their ideas not to close down the studio... FOR NOW"

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
"Hey Bioware you are good at making RPGs right?"
"Why yes EA, Mass Effect is a big hit but Dragon Age 2 despite our claims wasn't our best work and lets not talk about The Old Republic."
"Well that is good because we want you to make a multiplayer Command & Conquer game to rival StarCraft."

HOLY SHIT EA WHAT THE FLYING FUCK ARE YOU DOING!

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Everyone else has already posted my points for me, but I'd like to add that moral support from EA means GAH! SHIT! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES BEFORE THEY TOUCH YOU!

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Has this free DLC that "fixes" Mass Effect 3 been released already? Is it safe to buy/play yet?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Ah... EA just stating that its not their meddling that is fucking shit up at Bioware, but it's Bioware screwing stuff up. Cleverly worded though. Essentially this is EA loading the gun....