EA Unveils New Free-to-Play Battlefield Game

Wolfinton

Jan 1, 2010
GIJames said:
I'm glad they're revisiting BF2; that game was awesome.
So do I. I want the Spec Ops to get the C4s, not the snipers mainly. I love to use the C4 and sneak up on the tanks, but I like to be able to keep my own in a fight without having to use a pistol. Also I want planes. Yeah, I miss planes.

Anyway, seems intresting enough. May as well try it when it comes out.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
DannibalG36 said:
Just one question.

How the fuck is this supposed to run in a browser? I hope that was just a misunderstanding for "it launches from the browser."
Probably like Quake Live, the site installs a plugin/ActiveX control/whatever that is basically a game client. It does the rendering and sound and gets input, but runs in a browser window. It works.

MazeMinion

Mar 7, 2010
I'm guessing they're going to use Punkbuster again?

God, Punkbuster ruined Battlefield Heroes. It's a great game, I used to play it ALL the time and even spent money on it, but Punkbuster kicks me out of every other match. I tried everything, and it still happens.

I'm not buying any more multiplayer EA games until they rid of that God-awful anti-cheating program.

dickseverywhere

Oct 6, 2010
looks good but why does everything have to be in a friggin browser, means you have the overhead of the browser on top of the game. whats wrong with a nice lightweight dedicated client? hopefully they'll offer both.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Yay, MEC Theme.

I guess its kind of cool, although BF2 Complete Collection is pretty cheap now, and with all the mods is kind of hard to let it go. (See Forgotten Hope 2, Project Reality, AIX 2, BF2 Assault, Point of Existance and others)

Also the microtransactions may limit the gameplay. You probably have to pay for new weapons.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
That music can make me do bad things....
Looks like a cool idea, and the hints of getting into BF3's BETA are the icing on the cake.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Very nice remix of the original Battlefield theme:

That said, I don't know how to feel about this game. It looks preety nice, but I am not sure if a browser-based game can really capture the fundamentals of a Battlefield game (such as the large...eh ehm, battlefields).

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Seems like I'm the only one uninterested. After trying that horrible mess of a game that is Battlefield Heroes, I just can't get interested in this.
You're not alone. The bullshit that has happened to BF Heroes is ridiculous. They bump up the prices of VP guns to ridiculous extremes, and then give super powered weapons to people who pay. Thats a great way of balancing the game morons.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I had BF2, never got to use the online though, looks good though.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
Jets? Finally? Hell yes. I just hope they don't pull any stupid shit like the ability to buy better weapons though.

Rewold

Mar 18, 2010
Almost missed this piece of news...These guys are crazy I am SO trying this game out. :D

Awesome song in the backround amirite?

nub the samurai

Jul 12, 2010
Not sure how to feel bout this one. BF Heroes was great when it first came out, then they decided to bump up the prices and make it so Valor Points couldn't really buy shit anymore. Then the Uber weapons came in and pretty much made it so people who paid had the most advantage. If they can avoid that in this one then it will be awesome.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I'm wondering what the max player count is?

Is it the the full 64 players? Or are they smaller versions of the maps.

If it is the full 64 or even 32 I would be happy.

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
I don't know what to think about this game.

On one hand, I love Battlefield 2. On the other, Battlefield: Heroes sucked.
On one hand, they're using BF2's awesome maps, on the other they are using bad company 2's classes and weapons. But maybe they'll actaully keep BF's feel this time rather than trying to be Modern Warfare 2: The Copy.
And they also managed to absolutely ruin the Battlefield theme, so it bodes ill.
But they said if I was looking forward to BF3, that I'd like this, and they already know that they have a ton of fans that hated all the BF spinoffs, and would like a more Battlefield game, so I have to maintain some hope for that game.

I guess I'll have to wait and find out, though I'd like to be cautiously optimistic about this.

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
I swear this is the Korean Battlefield Online just being released here....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_Online