EA Wants "To Be 90 Plus Metacritic at Everything"

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
itsthesheppy said:
gigastar said:
Comparing social networking to digital distribution...

I doubt im the only one who thinks that theres something fundamentally wrong with that.

itsthesheppy said:
Metacritic is maybe the worst thing going on in the video game world today.
No, thats Games for Windows Live.
Oof. Hard to argue with that, but I like Games of Windows Live is annoying and awful, but Metacritic makes studios develop terribad games.
Not only that but some companies use it as an excuse to not make sequels or release other games in the states.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
So they refuse to have sales approaching the kinds of sales Steam has, ban you from some of their games for modding (as opposed to Valve's Steam Workshop), and already have the reputation of the big, evil company?

There's simply no way Origin will ever beat Steam if they keep this kind of thing up.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Bold sentiment EA. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M]

I could write a lengthy magazine article on how many mistakes Origin makes and how it taking over from Steam or even being a significant challenger to it is laughable. Could it be good if they identified and fixed their many mistakes? Sure, why not. However I think the best Origin can hope for though is being the Google+ to Steam's Facebook, not the Facebook to Steam's MySpace.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
Oh this looks familiar. EA bad mouthing other people's products without actually making their own better. Steam is superior in a lot of ways EA, and unless you offer better things than them, in prices, in offers, in service and in better EULA terms, you haven't got anything close to Steam.

Also, 90+ everything on Metacritic? Maybe if you stop working your devs off the face of the earth, I could say "Yeah, that's possible", but since we're getting another generic FPS this year that looks no different to last years (Seriously, Medal of Honour looks too much like Battlefield, but more confusing, somehow), removing the horror from Dead Space for action and generally rushing your developers, that's not possible.

Calumon: If being nice is everything, why are they so rich? : (
Steam is actually the worst DD for prices.

Other than their sales. That's how they make money like all the regular stores do; get customers in for the sale then rip em off elsewhere.

I just don't care for either as they artificially inflate prices for my region so I'll stick to the good guys like GOG and GMG.

Shanecooper

Aug 12, 2009
I kinda just wish that EA would come out one day and say "Yeah, we're jerks. What're you gonna do about it? Now buy new versions of our games that you already own or we're going to burn down your mothers house."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FantomOmega said:
I find it funny that I've completely forgot Metacritic even existed, until EA (and IGN) brought it up.
The industry seems to put more stress on it than anyone else, really. I find it pretty forgettable.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Wow.

I can't actually believe this.

It's like EA have no idea how much people hate them :D

They're the Cartman of the gaming world.
... Fuck that made me laugh. I gotta go hit myself now.

EA needs to go die. Nobody want's them anymore. They are just Oblivious to the hate they generate with everything they say they want to be. They wanna be Indie? Hate. They don't wanna do sales cause it "Devalues" IP's? Hate. Have a huge Sale after that? HATE. Now this.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
animehermit said:
Somebloke said:
...some sort of connection to any additional authenticator, on top of from Steam, such as the EA network, for the Dragon Age games and Mass Effect 2.
both of which are able to be played while you aren't online. I know because I've done it before with all 3 games, as well as Mass Effect 3.
Oh? That's kind of funny - we seem to have the same problem, but with opposite services. :D

Do you have the "From Ashes" DLC for Mass Effect 3?
(I am wondering, because ME3, on its own, will launch and play without recurring authentication, as promised (last minute before release) by the developers, but as soon as you add DLC it will go check twice each time launched and, for me, block any playing if the authentication service is unavailable.)

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Origin:
It's like a polished version of GFWL.
Sure, it's still a turd, but now it has sprinkles on it!

But, seriously?
I'd rather use GOG, they're cool.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. This is why your stock is worth half as much as it was less than a year ago EA. EA doesn't have the necessary resources to put together a better marketplace than Valve. The problem lies in the fact that EA has yet to realize that they have the worst customer service and consumer goodwill of any video game company proportionate to the money they have.

I literally groan when I want to buy a game from EA, I don't think that's a unique perspective either, I think many people do that. We don't like you EA. You make some good games but literally EVERYTHING else you do surrounding those games makes me hate you. Buying a game from EA is like going to a movie theater where every ticket is sold with a kick in the groin and a pie in the face. Until you make buying your games something we feel good about doing you will never outpace Steam, never.

As for 90+ on Metacritic, you should be focusing way more on making more games for less investment, not every game you make should be AAA, right now your company is doing little to no innovation because all of your games are too expensive to take ANY risks on. The indie market for gaming has never been better and it's gaining steam because large game producers are making fewer and fewer games with different titles and smaller companies and individuals are closing the gaps that you create by innovating. You are slowly losing parts of the market because you are too stiff in how you fund games.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Cyberjester said:
Kalezian said:
But, yea, in many ways GoG is better than Steam while Steam is better than GoG if that makes any sense, while both are better than Origin.

Like WoW which dominated the MMO area for years, it's starting to lose out and other games are coming to the fore.
Actually, that's not true at all, WoW still has about 50% of the MMO market share even after losing 2 million subscribers in the past two years, nothing even comes close in the MMO market.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
rapidoud said:
Jack and Calumon said:
Oh this looks familiar. EA bad mouthing other people's products without actually making their own better. Steam is superior in a lot of ways EA, and unless you offer better things than them, in prices, in offers, in service and in better EULA terms, you haven't got anything close to Steam.

Also, 90+ everything on Metacritic? Maybe if you stop working your devs off the face of the earth, I could say "Yeah, that's possible", but since we're getting another generic FPS this year that looks no different to last years (Seriously, Medal of Honour looks too much like Battlefield, but more confusing, somehow), removing the horror from Dead Space for action and generally rushing your developers, that's not possible.

Calumon: If being nice is everything, why are they so rich? : (
Steam is actually the worst DD for prices.

Other than their sales. That's how they make money like all the regular stores do; get customers in for the sale then rip em off elsewhere.

I just don't care for either as they artificially inflate prices for my region so I'll stick to the good guys like GOG and GMG.
I disagree, Steam's prices may not be completely fair across all countries, but they're better than EA's Origin!

I want to pre-order the new Simcity game, don't ask me why I do, it's a hypothetical situation, so I go to Origin, since I want to have it the second it comes out and only Origin has it. The cheapest Origin will sell it me is £45, £15 above regular PC retail. Why? Well, EA says I'm getting bonus things for it, but are they even bonus if I have no option but to get them? I just want the game, but EA says that I've got to pay this huge price just to get it.

Say what you want about Steam, but in the UK, at least they give you standard editions and price them at £30.

Calumon: And sometimes they just GIVE you games, like Christmas! :D

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
Well a few things
1. 12 million yeah maybe because we don't have the option to opt out of it (I have origin but only for BF3 which was free with my motherboard)
2. Guess what if all the games you make get 90 then all game will average a 90 raising the standards for achieving 90+ on meta score
3. You are known for dumbing down and cutting corners for tight deadlines making achieving 90+ almost impossible (unless the reviews are biased)