EA Wants to Make Wii U an Origin Exclusive

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Wants to Make Wii U an Origin Exclusive

EA is rumored to be pushing hard to make Origin the exclusive online platform for the upcoming Nintendo Wii U.

This is a rumor from an anonymous and therefore entirely unverifiable source so take it for what it's worth, but the word on the street is that Electronic Arts is in talks with Nintendo about bringing Origin, its fledgling digital-distribution-slash-DRM service, to the Wii U, the in-the-works successor to the Nintendo Wii. EA is looking for a way to muscle Origin into the console market, so the story goes, while Nintendo sees "an opportunity to rebuild relationships with Western gamers because they feel that only a massive western company such as EA understands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers."

Valve is also reportedly interested in making Steam available on the Wii U, but the source claims that EA is "aggressively persuading Nintendo to go Origin exclusive with Wii U's online so they can gain a competitive advantage over Steam."

It's an interesting idea if nothing else, and it's lent a certain amount of credence by none other than EA's Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore, who voice some pretty serious enthusiasm [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113551-EA-Exec-Were-Committed-to-Wii-U] for Nintendo's next box back in October. "There are no indications that there's anything that feels like it's off target," he said. "Our teams are working on it around the world. Our key franchises will be there. We've made that commitment to Nintendo."

I guess we'll see just how deep that commitment actually goes.

Source: CVG [http://wiiugo.com/exclusive-ea-origin-to-be-a-key-element-of-nintendos-online-strategy/]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well i know Nintendo execs arent the smartest at long term buisness decisions, but im sure they wont block out the most recognised and popular digital distribution platform on the web in exchange for something that had a bad reputaion practically out of the door among consumers for unauthorised spyware.

At least i hope.

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
If I was Nintendo, I'd put Origin on their system. And Steam. And any other distribution program. Including their own.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
As dumb as Nintendo is with online services, I don't think they'll bite so easily. I hope >.>'

At least if they do, it won't be an exclusive service, Valve is also interesed in adding Steam to it and who knows what other services could be brought to it, but also this concerns me a bit, with so many services, so many credencials to input every time you want to play a particular game from a particular publisher, it could mean trouble for console gamers, or they could embrace them, I don't know.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
A system virtually nobody wants running a service virtually nobody likes?

Exclusively?

Sounds like a winner to me.

ArchEvilAngel

Oct 13, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
EA is looking for a way to muscle Origin into the console market, so the story goes, while Nintendo sees "an opportunity to rebuild relationships with Western gamers because they feel that only a massive western company such as EA understands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers."
Because making the Wii U use only the most despised digital distribution platform from a publisher whose name has been equated with evil for years is the best way to rebuild relationships with Western gamers...

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
If that happens, I will skip the Wii U entirely. The exclusive part, I mean. EA, if you want a console that only uses Origin, build your down damn console.

And I really hope that statement where Nintendo thinks only a massive company like EA knows what people want from online. Nintendo, let me save you some trouble: EA doesn't know a damn thing about what we want from online. Online passes? We don't want that. Needing an EA account for online aspects in addition to our Xbox Live and PSN accounts? We don't want that either.

I do understand that it's just a rumor, but I think we should get someone who writes well in Japanese to create one of those form letters we can just add our names to and send off to Nintendo of Japan to let them know that don't want a single thing that EA has to offer to the world of online connectivity and gaming.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I wouldnt be surprised at all if ea was trying to do this but if they do them Im not touching the online marketplace for the wiiU, the only online digital distribution sources I trust are steam and gog.com.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Should Nintendo use Origin? Sure. That means some franchises from EA like Dead Space and games from Bioware can finally end up on a Nintendo system.

Should Nintendo use Origin exclusively? NO! NO! GOOD GOD NO! BAD EA! BAD! Don't listen to them, Iwata! It's the DARK SIDE talking!

Besides that, Nintendo are total control freaks. I doubt they'd give EA that much control. They aren't THAT desperate to repair relationships with third-parties.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Nintendo sees "an opportunity to rebuild relationships with Western gamers because they feel that only a massive western company such as EA understands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers."
So they want to appeal to the western market, and they're even thinking about choosing Origin over Steam for that? Nice job...
That said, it does make sense. I lend absolutely no credence to this rumour, don't see why they'd even need Origin, but if it's gonna be something , Origin's a good fit. PS4 will probably get Steam either way, so either WiiU/origin will provide some good competition; or PS4 and WiiU will together with Steam crush the Xbox 720. I'm hoping for the latter, but the first seems more likely.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
And that's why i frikking hate EA... they only have stupid ideas and they want to be the only ones on the console? Greedy much?

Screw EA, Nintendo, if for some reason you only go Origin, i promise for in this day forward, it doesn't matter the Legend of Link or Star Fox even Mario games you make, cuz i promise that i just won't buy them.

I don't mind ifit has Origin AND other companies such has Steam. But beeing exclusivly EA? Screw that! Not today, not tomorrow, not in the next 100 years!!

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Nononononononononononononononononononono.
Actually, i don't really care.
Do what you like EA and Nintendo, we'll still hate you.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
Nintendo isn't stupid, but with its current "Hey, guys, we're running out of cash here", the last thing they need is EA trying to strong arm itself in.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Actually, I don't see this being a bad thing. The main problem I have with Origin is the invasive data farming on my PC, but that wouldn't be an issue on the Wii U (what with the hardware all being the same and stuff, and all the software being games).

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
I'm going to put down this silly, stupid, impossible rumour as eloquently and succinctly as only I can...

Shit off.