EA Wants To "Rival Nintendo" On The Wii

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Wants To "Rival Nintendo" On The Wii

Wii [http://www.ea.com] bandwagon but CEO John Riccitiello said yesterday that the company plans to make up for it in a big way, claiming EA will "rival Nintendo on their own platform."

In a July 2008 interview, Riccitiello Nintendo's [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85279-Riccitiello-Admits-EA-Missed-The-Wii-Bus] own first-party titles.

"You will see we are taking great advantage of their new hardware addition with the motion sensor," he said. "What that is going to give us is the kind of gameplay we think will rival Nintendo on their own platform, and we are bringing marketing together in such a way that we think we can get noticed in ways that no other third party will."

"We're going strong, right out of the box, with EA Sports," he added, alluding to two upcoming Wii-exclusive titles from EA. "Wii Fit [http://www.easportsactive.com/home.action] platform - with a spectacular title in my judgment that's coming out in our first quarter. The second thing that is coming out in the quarter is we are launching our tennis SKU, and initially Wii only, and following it up with other franchises."

All told, Nintendo is getting "half our emphasis in terms of titles counts," Riccitiello said, and not just in the form of sports and family oriented games: Riccitiello also made the somewhat surprising announcement that the 2008 survival horror release Dead Space [http://deadspace.ea.com/] is coming to the Wii, although no other details were revealed.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/riccitiello-well-rival-nintendo-on-its-own-platform]

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
My idea for a "Fit" game: When you boot the game up, it says: Go run around your block for an hour.

And it does that every time you play it.

Well EA won't have to try really hard to sell crap on the Wii, since most of EA's stuff is alreafy SUPERIOR

shadow_pirate22

Aug 25, 2008
Rival Nintendo? on their own system? good luck. Especially since it's EA we're talking about here. Maybe Fit and Sports might be possible, but how are they going to compete with the likes of Mario, Zelda and Metroid?

KungFuMaster

Aug 14, 2008
Read as "Thanks to our ham-handed treatment of DRM and Draconian business practices we're hemorrhaging money left and right from our PC sector and this is how we intend to fix it."

At least, that's what it smells like to me.

...That being said, I can't wait for Boom Blox 2.

*Going to shower to wash of the shame and guilt*

The Random One

May 29, 2008
RAWKSTAR said:
Haha! EA have no chance.

The end.
Still, at least someone is trying. The Wii's got a lot of potential but other than Nintendo and one or two stragglers everyone is just releasing ridiculously poor Warioware knockoffs. Then again, it's doubtful EA has it in them to actually live up to it, as exploring a brand new kind of gameplay requires doing things that makes businessmen feel uncomfortable.

KungFuMaster said:
Read as "Thanks to our ham-handed treatment of DRM and Draconian business practices we're hemorrhaging money left and right from our PC sector and this is how we intend to fix it."

At least, that's what it smells like to me.
I think it's more like "Holy crap, there are no good, non-Nintendo games on the Wii! If we release only one more or less decent game we'll literally dominate the market! Get on the bandwagon!"

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I can see tomorrow's news already.
"Nintendo revoke EA's Wii development license,"
Do not antagonise the big N...

On the other hand I can't wait to see how they implement Dead Space on it, that game was almost made for motion controls.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
It is never a bad thing for people to take more initiative in building better games for the Wii, but if their idea is to solely make sports and fitness games, count me out on buying anything EA does for the Wii.

AhhARealMonster

Feb 4, 2009
shadow_pirate22 said:
Rival Nintendo? on their own system? good luck. Especially since it's EA we're talking about here. Maybe Fit and Sports might be possible, but how are they going to compete with the likes of Mario, Zelda and Metroid?
EA Smash Brothers. The ultimate death match of mediocrity! John Madden, Faith, and Origin's Corpse vs Tiger Woods, A Sim, and Shaq. Go EA!

Riccitiello Prime. The Legend of Need For Speed: Twilight Engine. Super Madden Galaxy. Conglomeratemon (You catch wild companies and store them in EA Balls). EA Tennis. I could go on.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Both Nintendo and EA have been shocking lately, I really hope one of them pulls out a good game and by that I mean great!

False Messiah

Afflicted with DDDS
Jan 29, 2009
I realy hope that E.A. makes something good that isn't sports. But... Beating the big N on his own console?

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Just like EA, leave the little guy in the gutter then come back realizing that there might be some pity sex if someone sees them helping him.

I know that that was a terrible analogy, but it is the truth. It only took them until the Wii started making serious competition before they swooped in for the quick buck. As for the highly innovative thing, saying it over and over won't make it happen. EA doesn't usually like anything innovative.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh my God, that is priceless! The funniest thing I've heard all day! EA to push Nintendo software on a platform which is owned by Nintendo?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

P.S- Nobody point out this post if EA somehow manages to do it okay?

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Why would we wan't more of E.A. crap, and why would they wan't to put it on the wii thats like mixing shit with more shit. Everyone get an xbox or ps3 the wii is crap. (I only say that because the consol is about motion controls that don't funtion properly)

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
AhhARealMonster said:
shadow_pirate22 said:
EA Smash Brothers. The ultimate death match of mediocrity! John Madden, Faith, and Origin's Corpse vs Tiger Woods, A Sim, and Shaq. Go EA!

Riccitiello Prime. The Legend of Need For Speed: Twilight Engine. Super Madden Galaxy. Conglomeratemon (You catch wild companies and store them in EA Balls). EA Tennis. I could go on.
LOLOLOL You are priceless.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
Well if they can get more stuff out of the quality of Boom Blox then I'll be able to forgive them an awful lot of grievances, just going off their track record though I'm not gonna bet on them being successful in that...