EA Wins Title of "Worst Company in America"

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I think a lot of you are reading way too far into an award that calls itself "The Golden Poo."

This is about consumer feedback, not taking a sober look at which corporation is the most atrocious behind the scenes. That's why it came from -- shocker -- The Consumerist.

If this were about actual atrocities, we'd be looking at companies like Haliburton, Academi (aka Blackwater), Goldman Sachs, etc.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
So EA is now considered the worst company in America, but evidently not so bad that people will actually stop buying their products.

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
the only word i can say now is , Art thou shitting me?(No Pun intended) Don't know how they get number one place over B o A who pretty much is to blame for economic downfall (they don't take all the blame but yeah whatever)Guess Mass Effect 3 caused a lot of butt hurt, though i was butt hurt when they got bioware.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
Not many people like EA. That much I'll admit. But worst company in America? God no.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know EA, I used to wonder why people hated you so much, I'M STARTING TO UNDERSTAND WHY!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I think the reason is that EA doesn't even try to pretend to make up for it where many of the other companies do...pretend that is; though many of them (like BP) make more money out of making it up to the people they screwed over than they did with the initial screwing.
EA just says "haha got your money now lets see if you'll pay extra for the ending to a game. Yes? lets see what else you'll pay extra for."
Are they as evil as your average energy company like BP or Halliburton? No, not by a long shot. But that's only because their greed is relegated to people's entertainment. They only really get to abuse the people who choose to have something to do with them either by working for them or buying their products.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
This makes me so happy. I'm frustrated with terrible business practices, both in-company and towards consumers. Doesn't it make sense to be stone-hearted and money-grubbing towards your own employees, but not customers, or vice-versa? How does EA manage to be a terrible company in not just one, or two, but EVERY regard?

...and why do you people keep buying their games new, anyway?

As for BoA, I think it's kind of ridiculous that EA won out so far ahead. I think they deserve it, sure, especially with their smug response. Like, "see? Who cares if our business practices are shady, our products are bland or run through a heavy filter, our employees are getting slave-wage and work tons of unpaid overtime, or if we withhold content until we get as much as thrity fighter jets, we're in the USA, capitalism is good and we win at it." The fact is, BoA has at least as many crimes, and rather than just taking money and spitting out inferior product, they're actually handling other people's money. That is scary. If EA wins it should be by tens of votes, not tens of thousands of votes.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
ZeroMachine said:

I'm probably going to be the only person to say this.

A) The ONLY reason they won is because of the ME3 ending debacle, and that's pathetic.

B) Their response was well said, as there is no other way to respond to something like that, and it's true (whether or not that's unfortunate is up to people to decide for themselves).

Now excuse me whilst I jump behind this fifty foot thick flame shield and prepare my twenty shotguns for the potential shit storm.
I agree with you, EA are douche bags, but they are far from the worst.
Twenty shotguns you say? It's a good start, but I feel you need some more Unlimited WeaponWorks, so here:

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
It's completely retarded that EA won over Bank of America and AT&T, but it seems this competition was just for fun, so I guess it doesn't matter. Plus, maybe EA is slightly more likely to change its ways than BofA or AT&T?

Eh, probably not.

Also, lol @ the top featured comment on the Kotaku article.

edit: heh, I see some people on the Consumerist complaining that the vote should have been for Consumerist members only, as to avoid votes from the ignorant masses who would claim that DLC are worse than foreclosures. Reminds me of a similar sentiment on the Escapist regarding March Mayhem. Can't say I blame them for feeling that way!

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
If you and the rest of the escapist staff STILL can't figure out what was so wrong with ME3, I doubt I could make you understand.
I'm listening. Try. I expect at least two paragraphs.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Ok so *hides behind flame shield* I find this to be an utterly stupid result, there is no way any sane person could say that DLC is somehow worse then significant contributions to ruining the economy, but we are talking about gamers who have been known to lose any and all sanity at the mention of big name publishers and fly into a frothing incoherent rage. And now in case that didn't make absolutely everyone hate me I can follow it up by saying that I honestly loved EA's response, as it was funny and I think showed they were well aware how absurd the result was. on another note, why the hell was Paypal even in this? I have used Paypal for years and never had any issues or seen anyone complain about them.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Fappy said:
ZeroMachine said:

A) The ONLY reason they won is because of the ME3 ending debacle, and that's pathetic.

B) Their response was well said, as there is no other way to respond to something like that, and it's true (whether or not that's unfortunate is up to people to decide for themselves).

Now excuse me whilst I jump behind this fifty foot thick flame shield and prepare my twenty shotguns for the potential shit storm.
To be fair everyone has hated EA for years now. If ME3's ending wasn't the current issue I am sure something else EA-related would be. We'd probably still be arguing about the Prothean DLC right now if the ending didn't suck.
But the freaking Bank of America though.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Here's a simple rule: If your company hasn't killed anybody, it's not the worst company in America.

Pariahwulfen

Mar 23, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
Fappy said:
ZeroMachine said:

To be fair everyone has hated EA for years now. If ME3's ending wasn't the current issue I am sure something else EA-related would be. We'd probably still be arguing about the Prothean DLC right now if the ending didn't suck.
*peaks out*

... Th... is this a trick to get me to come out from behind the shield?

... Ok... Uh, wellNOSTAYBACK!

... Well... Yeah, I guess. But the thing is, the ending debacle was more or less the last straw, if the straw the broke the camels back was a nuke. People never ACTIVELY fought them before to any great/coordinated extent.

Now we have Retake Mass Effect, nearly ever donor of which probably voted for them to be on this.

Before it was a loose group of people that just didn't like their business practices. It's now a veritable army out for blood, BECAUSE of the ending. I just find it pretty sad that it was not one of their shady business practices that nuked the camel's back, but just the dislike (hatred, whatever) of the ending.

Since that's why they "won" this award, I think it's rather pathetic. That's all.

Now GET OFF MY LAWN *jumps back behind shield*
Have you forgotten the class action lawsuit against EA regarding the price of games in the Madden franchise and the other sports where they have purchased an exclusivity license?

Shavon513

Apr 5, 2010
If only enough of us could unite and refuse to purchase dlc unless they backdown. The problem is, EA attracted enough casual shooter fans with the new direction the Mass Effect series took, that it probably won't happen. Look at how many people bought Bulletstorm just because Jennifer Hale (the VA for Female Shepard) voiced a npc.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
As I blame EA for the direction Mass Effect took, I say they are deserving of that reward. And really, this has been a long time coming, even before Mass Effect came into existance.

*Edit*

Shavon513 said:
If only enough of us could unite and refuse to purchase dlc unless they backdown. The problem is, EA attracted enough casual shooter fans with the new direction the Mass Effect series took, that it probably won't happen. Look at how many people bought Bulletstorm just because Jennifer Hale (the VA for Female Shepard) voiced a npc.
I actually got Bulletstorm because of "dicktits" and Scoring points for punting guys into spikes... I didnt even know they had Jennifer Hale in there.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
Hevva said:
EA itself doesn't seem terribly upset about having won The Golden Poo, however. In a statement, EA Senior Director of Corporate Communications John Reseburg told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5899092/worst-company-in-america-ea-says-halliburton-must-be-relieved-it-wasnt-nominated?utm_campaign=socialflow_kotaku_twitter&utm_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow] that, "We're sure that British Petroleum, AIG, Philip Morris, and Halliburton are all relieved they weren't nominated this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide."
And lo, the day came when I agreed with, and heartily applauded, an EA employee (a Sr. Director, no less!).

All this award does is prove that a huge number of internet users have screwed up priorities, a ridiculous sense of entitlement, and the attention spans of moths.