Early Dark Souls Players Get a Nasty Surprise

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Early Dark Souls Players Get a Nasty Surprise

Gamers in Japan who "acquired" an early copy of the upcoming Dark Souls have received a very nasty in-game surprise courtesy of the developer.

Dark Souls [http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Collectors-Playstation-3/dp/B00542ZQJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316632111&sr=8-1] comes out in Japan tomorrow, September 22, yet some gamers in the country who know people who know people are playing it at this very moment. That fact apparently doesn't sit too well with From Software, the studio that created the game, and so it took advantage of a feature that allows players to "invade each other's worlds" to make its displeasure known.

The studio is sending maximum level "Black Phantoms" into the games of anyone currently playing, presumably to teach them the error of their ways by tearing them a new one. And tear them they will; as Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/software-thwarts-early-dark-souls-players] notes, Black Phantoms enter the game at level 145, with 1900 hit points and all abilities maxed out at level 99, an absolute juggernaut compared to its own level 45 reviewer, who has 1001 hit points and abilities topping out at level 30 - after nearly 60 hours of play.

It's a cruel and unusual punishment, yes, and it's also entirely awesome. I detest always-on DRM, which I assume the Dark Souls system requires (the original source article at Esuteru [http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/4933477.html] is in Japanese, so I'm just guessing there), but if a developer or publisher is going to insist on using it, this is how it should be done.

Dark Souls comes out in North America on October 4 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

J4RD

I didn't pay for this?
Jan 4, 2010
Now THAT is what DRM is for. Always on is excusable in this case.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Yeah, what is this Always-Online business? Does the western market have to put up with that, or is it the sort-of online option from Demons Soul?

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
That's cool, but you know there will be that one crazy bastard who actually beats one of the things.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Black Phantoms in Demons Souls were absolutely EVIL. How the heck was I supposed to reach Flamelurker - let alone beat him - when this uber-powered bastard was hunting me down?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Ser Imp said:
Kinda reminds me of that WarCraft episode of South Park, except this time it's the players who are being dicks.
so its sort of like the .hack series then?

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Punishing the wrong people isn't it? I doubt most, if any, people playing early literally stole a copy from somewhere. Probably just got it from a store legitimately, just the story released it a day early.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
That's funny. Now how are they going to punish the stores for breaking the rules and selling their game early?

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
That is a creative way of doing DRM being constantly matched up against an op character until you verify your game online. In which case you can play offline at your hearts content after that. Only problem is keeping track of those who received legitamete copies and those who stole theirs. I don't think that the ones who got theirs early should be punished though.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
grimner said:
I can dig this. But unless the system changed since Demon's souls ( and it would be a mistake if it did), one can always play offline.
That's what I thought.

I'm sure it won't be DRM and if it is well I might consider not buying it as I spent alot of time playing offline in Demon's Souls and often preferred it.

OT: that's awesome. It be even better if they made sure that all the weapons broke after 1 attack.

goldenjester

Feb 3, 2009
kibayasu said:
Punishing the wrong people isn't it? I doubt most, if any, people playing early literally stole a copy from somewhere. Probably just got it from a store legitimately, just the story released it a day early.
Somehow I doubt this. In a world where products are shipped incomplete with bugs or with the online architecture not quite complete, I feel like any store getting caught selling product early would be at risk of losing that distributor. So, I would say that it probably is pirates.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I feel sorry for anyone who ordered it online and got it today over there. Sometimes online purchases come early after all :p

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
That's actually pretty awesome, better than going after them legally or what have you.

I almost feel sorry for those people having to deal with Black Phantoms, they are a bunch of evil bastards, almost.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That's actually pretty awesome, better than going after them legally or what have you.

I almost feel sorry for those people having to deal with Black Phantoms, they are a bunch of evil bastards, almost.
There isn't anything to go after them for. The people playing the game are doing nothing wrong.