Early Modern Warfare 3 Goes For $1725 on eBay

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Early Modern Warfare 3 Goes For $1725 on eBay

One of the copies of Modern Warfare 3 that was accidentally let go by Kmart has sold on eBay for over $1700.

You may have heard that Kmart stores in the U.S. were, for a brief while yesterday, selling copies of warned [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320426959&sr=8-1] that "playing early my impact your account" [presumably in a bad way] and while that seems pretty obviously and grossly unfair to people who purchased the game early but legitimately, what's really appalling is the amount of money that non-Kmart shoppers appear willing to pay for these things.

Numerous copies of the game began appearing on eBay yesterday and while most of them were taken down, at least a few are still kicking, including this one [http://www.ebay.com/itm/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-3-HAND-READY-SHIP-/250923688676?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a6c37a2e4#ht_500wt_1122], taken home by some crazy bugger for a whopping $1725. It's a little dubious, but there are a lot of people out there with more money than brains and even if it turns out to be a fake, there are 87 other ridiculously inflated bids to choose from.

I can't imagine dropping that kind of coin for the opportunity to play a videogame a few days early, although it's far from the stupidest thing I've ever seen on the internet. But spending 1700 bucks for the opportunity to have your Xbox Live account permabanned? Yeah, that's just dumb.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/04/somebody-bid-1-725-for-modern-warfare-3-on-ebay]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
So you buy a game like this for $1725 dollars, you get it home and put it in your 360 and then are permabanned for it.
Why would you buy it now? I'm so confused.

Guy 1: "Hey guys, look what I got a week early! The new Call Of Duty! Paid a fortune for it too!"

Guy 2: "Wow dude that's awesome, have you played it yet?"

Guy 1: "Well no, I'll get banned if I play it before the 8th...."

EDIT: Oh by the way, the eBay link you listed has been taken down.

EDIT2: That linked picture of the eBay listing states 3/4 business days delivery... So odds are it will arrive on the 8th...

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
If I were to have bought that, I would have had to wait longer for it to ship than it would to just wait for it in stores.

I wonder if the person who bought it thought about that. If they didn't, I will sit here laughing. If they did, they still spent over $1,700 on a game that I won't buy for $10.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Normally I'd have some sort of semi clever response to this, but I got nothing.

Thats... just... wrong...

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
SUNOFABITCH! I need money, if I had known that people were willing to shell this kind of cash for a copy of MW3 I would have found those copies and sold a whole shitload on eBay.

Yes, I am for the exploitation of the willfully stupid, why do you ask?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
There really needs to be a news section on this site titled, "People are Stupid". That would probably cover 50% of the news you guys report on.

Apr 5, 2008
To clarify, the XBL account wouldn't be banned at all, just the console on which the game is played.

I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of the OP however. Absolutely nuts.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

That's about all the response I have for this. Are we this stupid? I don't even have the energy to post the "I no longer want to live on this planet" video in response.

Edit: What are the odds this was some teenager or kid who got ahold of some parental credit card info?

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
The hell it's not even like your waiting a few months for the game 4 freaking days and have a copy for 60 bucks.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Someone actually wasted that much money on a game? Damn, that's incredibly unwise.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Wow. Someone actually paid over 28x the cost of a game that comes out in 4 days anyways? Holy shit, why can't I get that lucky?

Also, the quote has a spelling mistake.

"playing early my impact your account"

"playing early may impact your account"

Maybe it was just a bunch of BS bidding knowing EA would have eBay invalidate it anyways, or hope it would?

Still, if he gets the $1700, like they say "A fool and his money are soon parted" and "There's a sucker born every minute."

rknight718

May 3, 2009
I'm not the type of person who reads in-depth into the XBL Terms of Service and whatnot (I mean, who is really? Blah blah blah LET ME PLAY!) but wouldn't playing the game while disconnected from XBL prevent banning? As long as you don't sign into your account until a few days AFTER the release date, they can just assume you got all that progress in a day or so. It's MW3, people are gonna be on a binge for the first 36-48 hours or so.