Early Ocarina of Time Concept Featured Much Less Link

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Early Ocarina of Time Concept Featured Much Less Link

Technical troubles with the N64 nearly made Ocarina of Time an FPS.

More than 12 years after its release, its hard to think of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as anything other than a third person adventure game, but according to Nintendo, the game could have been very different, with Link appearing significantly less often.

Speaking in the latest "Iwata Asks [http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/1/0 ]," Yoshiaki Koizumi, who was in charge of the game's 3D system, story, and character design, said that Super Mario 64 had shown Nintendo how difficult it was to show 3D characters on a wide, open field on the N64. He said that Miyamoto wanted to sidestep that problem by using a first person view, with fights playing out in a side-on viewpoint, similar to Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Ultimately, Nintendo scrapped the idea after it was found to be visually uninteresting, paving the way for the Ocarina of Time we all know and love.

This decision also led to the creation of Z-Targeting - essentially a lock-on system, mainly used in the game's fights - as a way of getting round problems managing the camera. Koizumi and another developer, Toru Osawa, visited a the Toei Studio Park in Kyoto - the studio behind anime like Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon - and watched a live action samurai combat show. Watching how the fighters circled each other and attacked one at a time proved instrumental in the creation of a fun and manageable combat system.

If you're a fan of the Zelda games, then you'll probably find the rest of the "Iwata Asks" fascinating, and honestly, it's pretty interesting even if you're not that much of a fan.

Source: via MTV [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/06/17/miyamoto-wanted-to-make-zelda-on-n64-an-fps/]

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Wait wait wait...
Does this mean that Dragonball Z helped shape Zelda?!

Mind is blown.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Ranorak said:
Wait wait wait...

Mind is blown.
Screw DBZ...I'm saying Sailor Moon and her senshi helped save the day again. Yay for Sailor Moon!

I may have to take a look at Iwata Asks now...

Captain-Giggles

May 21, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
What? Zelda is not an FPS?

<youtube=QTtrD3FlI70>
In an ironic twist of fate, it's things like this that put me off minecraft, because my creations can't hold a candle to these grand designs.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Huh. Well it does help explain why it took so unbelievably long to make...

I mean, it was announced at the N64's launch, and wasn't released until something like 3-4 years later...

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Ranorak said:
Wait wait wait...

Mind is blown.
Screw DBZ...I'm saying Sailor Moon and her senshi helped save the day again. Yay for Sailor Moon
Bah, you're just annoyed because Piccolo blew up the moon.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Zelda FPS would have been cool and I can visualize the concept, but I'm happy with what we have.