Earth Defense Force 2025 Review - Giant Insects

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Jim, you repeated yourself with describing the giant insect killers.

Jimothy Sterling said:
There are four character classes to choose from. The Ranger is a standard soldier, employing conventional assault rifles and missile launchers in the war against giant insects. The Ranger is a support character, calling in air strikes and summoning vehicles that can deal major damage to giant insects. The Fencer is a heavily armored, slow moving warrior that carries both a shield and high damage weapon, bringing massive firepower to the giant insects. My personal favorite, the Wing Diver, is a lightly armored flying soldier, vulnerable to attack from giant insects, but very fast and armed with fairly entertaining energy weapons, all of which prove effective against giant insects.
Personally, I would've docked more points for the racism against giant insects. It's not even like they're trying to be inclusive. Giant insects are becoming a more important market of video game buyers, you know.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
All I know is I've enjoyed the previous games. Like Jim's beloved Dynasty Warriors that he mentions here (also a personal favorite) big and load will always have a market. Kind of surprised that Jim did not care for 2025 but to each his own I guess. For me there's little difference in the joy of mass carnage be it glowing ancient Chinese weaponry or loud sci-fi firepower, it's all good!

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I enjoyed both 2017 and insect armageddon, so there's a good chance I might enjoy this one. Especially as there is not, and will never be, a good starship troopers game.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
"The problem with Earth Defense Force is that it's utter crap."

You lost me there, but that's okay.
I don't mind reviewers I tend to agree with having bad views on things from time to time.
SEE: MoveBob's to-hard-to-be-serious for all things related to an otherwise mediocre film called 'Sucker Punch'.
;)

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
Earth Defense Force 2025 Review - Giant Insects

Giant Insects.

Read Full Article
Well, okay. But it's still better than if it were the same level of quality, except you're shooting brown people in a desert. Right?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Earth Defense Force 2025 is another in a line of terrible games about shooting giant insects while being told to shoot giant insects by people who talk constantly about how giant the giant insects are.

Giant insects.
Plot twist: The insects are actually regular size; you're just incredibly tiny!

Duh-duh-DUHHHHHH!

[sub][sub]This is probably not true. I've never played one of these games, so I have no way of knowing.[/sub][/sub]

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I'm not sure it's kosher to have your recommendation for a game about killing giant insects be "giant insects," the implication being that only giant insects would take such joy in killing giant insects. Bit of a crude stereotype there, Jim.

I mean, it's not like some of the most popular game franchises are all about humans shooting other humans on the thinnest of pretexts. Who'd be interested in something so vile and unsympathetic?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Not sure why, but I really thought Jim would be on the pro-EDF team. I guess because he has a whole Escapist show dedicated to telling the world about films that most people hate but he loves, and a strong affinity for Dynasty Warriors.

Not that I'm saying EDF 2025 is good or anything. I played and enjoyed EDF 2017 back in 2006(7?) but it wasn't because I was eager for that kind of game, there just weren't a lot of games on the 360 and it was a load of dumb fun I could co-op with a friend.

Still, shocked that Jim didn't dig it. But after EDF: Insect Armageddon I'm not giving this series anymore love anyway so I guess it shouldn't matter.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
This could have been a good turn-based game in the vein of X-COM. As it's a shooter, I'm not sure any company could have made it any better without turning the focus away from giant insects.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
This seems like a parody of this other review with the amount of GIANT INSECTS...
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-18-earth-defense-force-2025-review

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Hmm, I'm not sure I getting a good enough feel from your review of the relative size of these insects Jim, could you elaborate further?

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Honestly despite some of the bad reviews this game is getting I'm enjoying it far too much. It won't be game of the year but if you enjoy the gameplay and the style you're still getting amazing value for your money.

If you won't pick it up right now at $50 please make an effort when the price drops, this game is just amazing for anyone who's a fan of B Movie sci-fi.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Shjade said:
I mean, it's not like some of the most popular game franchises are all about humans shooting other humans on the thinnest of pretexts. Who'd be interested in something so vile and unsympathetic?
A valid point indeed. Kill soldier X, defeat space alien Y, destroy robot Z. Pretty standard for any shooter to have fodder, but EDF is a constant horde/survival mode. When I played EDF long ago I compared the game to Contra; shoot everything avoid getting hit. Sure there was a story, but did anyone really pay attention to it? Still EDF's constant chatter was bothersome after awhile. And yes, many of the weapons were utterly useless although novel.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Spiders aren't insects. Robots aren't insects. A far more accurate description of all the foes you fight are "giant chungus," really.

Anyway: this game looks like entertaining, daft fun. I just wish it weren't full-price. I paid $10 for EDF 2017 and that's about what it's worth, as much as I loved the hell out of it. EDF 2025 should be a budget title, or a downloadable thing. As much fun as I'm certain I'll have with it.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Spiders aren't insects. Robots aren't insects. A far more accurate description of all the foes you fight are "giant chungus," really.

Anyway: this game looks like entertaining, daft fun. I just wish it weren't full-price. I paid $10 for EDF 2017 and that's about what it's worth, as much as I loved the hell out of it. EDF 2025 should be a budget title, or a downloadable thing. As much fun as I'm certain I'll have with it.
I am the same, I bought 2017 out of the bargin bin for $5 and probably won't spend more then $10 on this one if I owned a console. Mind you I couldn't stand playing it solo it was always more fun with a friend and then throwing something at them when they killed you.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Shjade said:
The thing is... in a good manshoot game, there's a certain tactile feel to killing. Blowing zombies away with a shotgun. The blood splatter in Counter Strike. When I tried EDF, it felt... soft. The way the ants splattered, the way the guns felt. It all felt soft.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
RA92 said:
Shjade said:
The thing is... in a good manshoot game, there's a certain tactile feel to killing. Blowing zombies away with a shotgun. The blood splatter in Counter Strike. When I tried EDF, it felt... soft. The way the ants splattered, the way the guns felt. It all felt soft.
...actually I was just poking fun at Call of Duty and its ilk.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Kind of weird that he didnt like this one, its exactly like Dynasty Warriors but with assault rifles and rocket launchers instead of swords and lances.