Earth Defense Force 2025 Review - Giant Insects

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Sanunes said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Spiders aren't insects. Robots aren't insects. A far more accurate description of all the foes you fight are "giant chungus," really.

Anyway: this game looks like entertaining, daft fun. I just wish it weren't full-price. I paid $10 for EDF 2017 and that's about what it's worth, as much as I loved the hell out of it. EDF 2025 should be a budget title, or a downloadable thing. As much fun as I'm certain I'll have with it.
I am the same, I bought 2017 out of the bargin bin for $5 and probably won't spend more then $10 on this one if I owned a console. Mind you I couldn't stand playing it solo it was always more fun with a friend and then throwing something at them when they killed you.
Oh yeah, EDF is a co-op shooter through and through.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Shjade said:
RA92 said:
Shjade said:
I mean, it's not like some of the most popular game franchises are all about humans shooting other humans on the thinnest of pretexts. Who'd be interested in something so vile and unsympathetic?
The thing is... in a good manshoot game, there's a certain tactile feel to killing. Blowing zombies away with a shotgun. The blood splatter in Counter Strike. When I tried EDF, it felt... soft. The way the ants splattered, the way the guns felt. It all felt soft.
...actually I was just poking fun at Call of Duty and its ilk.
... I'm not sure why I replied to you.

Excuse the brain fart.

Captcha: had a great fall

Yes, captcha.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Hey, i'm in a bit of a rush and havn't time to actually read the review, could someone tell me..Are there any Giant Insects in this game?

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I suppose these points are pretty valid. EDF 2017 was a blast, but it was also a campy bargain bin title. There is no way in hell I could pay a full 60 dollars for it. I made the mistake of getting Insect Armageddon when it was new, and got roughly a quarter of the same game for four times the price. Well, with shinier graphics, of course.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I still have one question remaining.

Does it have Giant Insects?

I think this might be vital to my enjoyment of this game.

Michster

Sep 16, 2009
For far less money, you can buy a copy of Starship troopers and a bag of Cheetos.

It's basically the same premise, only much more enjoyable

IDS3Remix

Jun 10, 2011
One thing this review didn't answer for me, which I was really hoping it would, was is EDF 2025, at least better than 2017, or on the same level at least? For the amount I picked up EDF2017 for, I got an insane amount of replay value out of it. My friends and I knew it wasn't going to blow the world away, but it was easy simple arcade like fun. For the price of $50, I wouldn't be able to blame any reviewer for rating it lower, especially when Insect Armageddon was about $29.99-$39.99 on launch.

What I want to know is if this is a better game than EDF 2017, as I would think the main demographic for this game are players of the previous games in the series. It would be like reviewing a new Dynasty Warrior game without comparing it to another older game in the series.

Either way, waiting til the price drops on this game, because seriously D3, $50 for a sequel to a budget title?

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It's a highy... galvanizing (is that the word I am looking for?) title. I can genuinely enjoy the classes and the gameplay and have at least some fun with the cheese, but I can totally see why the stuff he mentioned is unacceptable for some.

However, the price is just a bit of a dealbreaker for me. If it drops enough, I'll get it and get a friend of mine to play it with me. We did that a bit for Revelations 2012 and it was actually really fun (especially since that game has chaged an incredible amount sine I first saw a video of it).

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
IDS3Remix said:
One thing this review didn't answer for me, which I was really hoping it would, was is EDF 2025, at least better than 2017, or on the same level at least? For the amount I picked up EDF2017 for, I got an insane amount of replay value out of it. My friends and I knew it wasn't going to blow the world away, but it was easy simple arcade like fun. For the price of $50, I wouldn't be able to blame any reviewer for rating it lower, especially when Insect Armageddon was about $29.99-$39.99 on launch.

What I want to know is if this is a better game than EDF 2017, as I would think the main demographic for this game are players of the previous games in the series. It would be like reviewing a new Dynasty Warrior game without comparing it to another older game in the series.

Either way, waiting til the price drops on this game, because seriously D3, $50 for a sequel to a budget title?
I can understand your hesitation to buy at this price, especially after Insect Armagedon which I had the misfortune of paying full price for.

That being said, yes it's a updated and (keep in mind my personal opinion as a huge fan of the series) better version of 2017. The four classes are really different keeping the gameplay fresh while the online co-op is where they can all mix together and really shine.

My first co-op session I played a support Wing Diver sniping ants from rooftops and collecting pickups while the slower Air Raider plowed through the horde below me in a tank only stopping to call in airstrikes.

As soon as the price drops this is easily a must buy for anyone who liked the 2017.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Not sure why, but I really thought Jim would be on the pro-EDF team. I guess because he has a whole Escapist show dedicated to telling the world about films that most people hate but he loves, and a strong affinity for Dynasty Warriors.

Not that I'm saying EDF 2025 is good or anything. I played and enjoyed EDF 2017 back in 2006(7?) but it wasn't because I was eager for that kind of game, there just weren't a lot of games on the 360 and it was a load of dumb fun I could co-op with a friend.

Still, shocked that Jim didn't dig it. But after EDF: Insect Armageddon I'm not giving this series anymore love anyway so I guess it shouldn't matter.
I know of another site that loved the older EDF games, and even they felt 2025 was a poor entry into the series.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Windknight said:
I know of another site that loved the older EDF games, and even they felt 2025 was a poor entry into the series.
As someone that owns every single game in the series besides the portable re-releases, I can tell you that it's most definitely the second best game in the series.

The only reason why anyone would consider EDF 2025 poor is by comparison to the second game in the series, Global Defence Force (EU title, the second game in the series). This solely because that game, despite being released earlier, has an even greater variety of environments and enemies (Notably - advanced UFO bombers, giant bombers, millipedes and rolling pillbugs) than EDF 2025.

EDF 2025 even have some baffling omissions of enemies that were in it's direct predecessor, EDF 2017. To be specific, EDF 2025 lacks any and all Vallak Dino Mechs, the Godzilla expies. Why they choose to do that is a mystery to me. Instead there are quite a few filler levels that serve no other purpose than to give you more armor and weapon drops.

But in every other regard it is an improvement over 2017.

I'd personally rank the entries in the series as follows:

1. Global Defence Force (EDF 2)
2. EDF 2025 (EDF 4)
3. EDF 2017 (EDF 3)
4. Monster Attack (EDF 1)
5. EDF Insect Armageddon
6. Global Defence Force Tactics (Horrible turn based strategy spin-off of EDF 2)

If you play this solo, it might not be worth $50. But if you have a dedicated co-op partner (Or 3, with the addition of online co-op), it is definitely worth the price.

If you enjoy the core gameplay, there's enough content to keep you satisfied for months.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Niche Cult Classic
Repetitive, arcadey gameplay
sub-par graphics and physics
emphasis on mashable combat
Pseudo RP system with buyable weapons

Now, What game am I describing? EDF or Dynasty Warriors?

Because except for 'Cast of Large, Colorful Characters and Explosive Super Moves" they're the same damn thing.