Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon Infests Steam

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon Infests Steam

Steam has a bug problem. A big bug problem. Maybe you can help.

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon is cheap in more than one sense of the word. It has a B movie plot, was made on a B movie budget and the version released on steam today [http://store.steampowered.com/app/23530/] has a B movie price. Until January 2nd you can pick it up for $14.99, a 25% discount off its regular price of $19.99. This release includes all the DLC released for the console version, and 4 new DLC weapon packs are in the pipeline.

The game is pretty much exactly the same as its 360 counterpart, with one possibly deal-breaking omission; there's no split-screen. Developer and publisher D3 has also seen fit to limit the FPS to 30 for some ungodly reason. Is the game as good as cult classic EDF 2017? Well not quite [http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/earth-defense-force-insect-armageddon], but with four classes, hundreds of weapons, three player campaign co-op and roughly a million ants to ventilate, there's a lot of fun here for $15.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Loved the game on the PS3, and I'd say it's better than 2017 - if only for the added weaponry.

There's something about shooting a giant cyborg spider in the face with a rocket launcher that's just oodles of fun.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I love this game. I am downloading the Steam version as we speak. I await the day when either the company allows more options to be had or someone else makes them available. Can't wait.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Korten12 said:
Just got the 360 version recently, fun fun. :D
It's on the Xbox 360? I'll have to look into it. Love me a good Co-Op title.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!

Now if you'll excuse me, I've some bugs to kill.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Wasn't this the game we all said we'd steer clear of on principle because its advertising campaign was designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator? I remember a trailer that had fuck all to do with the game, instead showing four d-cup calibre hookers with plastic guns embarassing themselves in front of the camera.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I was just about to jizz my pants over this news, but the port sounds awful, so I'm guessing the price will be even lower after this discount period.

Edit: Actually played this at my mates and the port is fine, it seems only the graphic FPS is limited at 30 but the underlying engine runs smooth, so while it may not be the best looking thing it is extremely responsive, and at $15 a damn good deal.
This is the sort of thing Crytek should be making, open world alien shoot em up mayhem, and not that stupid slugish modern shooter with a twist.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i noticed this game today (only care about pc releases). this look like serious sam against bugs on steroids. And while that sounds fun in theory from what i see its really just a press left mosur button and get lucky with the amount of stuff going on inside it and the spray and pray tactics that are a must. the upgradeable costume and other stuff is pretty cool though.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
So...A cheaper version of "Serious Sam 3" but with big bugs? Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll pick it up next year (already bought a lot of games this month).

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Steam players, download this. Seriously. All of you. It's awesome. In particular, I want UK players to download it, because it only got a limited release in the UK, the series deserves more.

And all you people who keep going on about shooters being brown and boring...You HAVE to download this.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Sonicron said:
Wasn't this the game we all said we'd steer clear of on principle because its advertising campaign was designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator? I remember a trailer that had fuck all to do with the game, instead showing four d-cup calibre hookers with plastic guns embarassing themselves in front of the camera.
It would be, if the game itself didn't actually justify dadaist advertisement schemes.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
weirdguy said:
Sonicron said:
It would be, if the game itself didn't actually justify dadaist advertisement schemes.
Either I need to brush up on my basic grammar, or you just invalidated your own argument in the space of a single sentence. (Your statement seems to say the game does justify the horredous ad campaign).
Or I could just be confused and perhaps be missing a deeper meaning hidden in your post, who knows.