EarthBound Kickstarter Aims to Create Sweet EarthBound Collectibles - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
EarthBound Kickstarter Aims to Create Sweet EarthBound Collectibles - Update

If you're a big EarthBound fan, you'll definitely want to check this one out.

Update: You Are Now EarthBound has raised the $100,000 needed to produce its collectibles! For those of you wondering about cease and desists swooping in to stop this thing, the creators have stated that they have all the proper permissions and licenses from the EarthBound copyright holders.

Original Story: EarthBound is probably right at the top of my list of obscure-JRPGs-that-actually-have-massive-fanbases, so it's no surprise that a Kickstarter to create some exclusive EarthBound collectibles has already almost reached its funding goal. You Are Now EarthBound [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fangamer/you-are-now-earthbound] is is project from Fangamer that aims to create a "media box set" of EarthBound goodies, including an EarthBound handbook, and a documentary about American EarthBound fans.

The handbook in particular is probably the most interesting piece in the bundle. The creators describe it as "an obsessively-designed guide which is a companion to the game, rather than a collection of to-do lists and maps. Our goal is to flesh out the world of EarthBound by collecting and shedding light on the tiny details, tricks, and ideas that fans have spent the last 20 years developing."

Check it out below:

Other goodies include an album of officially licensed EarthBound music by the band, THE BAD DUDES, and a fan-Zine filled with fan-made art and stories. Backers who pledge $32 will get digital versions of the media box set, but those who go as high as $64 will get physical real-world versions. Fans who shell out $256 for the "You Are Now EarthBound" tier will also receive a backpack full of random goodies, such as a USB Ness-bot.

Have a look at some concepts of these items below:

[gallery=3419]

Best of all, if you'd rather wait to see if this one makes it off the ground, Fangamer has stated that all of the items (minus the backpack and the custom collector's box) will be made available on its online store after the Kickstarter ends.

You Are Now EarthBound is asking for just $100,000, and at time of writing it had already soared past $70,000.

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fangamer/you-are-now-earthbound]

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
...and a documentary about American EarthBound fans.
Part of me says "what's to document, it's a fandom that does stuff and isn't horribly weird about it."
Part of me says "awesome, the Earthbound fandom is one of the few near completely hate free fandoms in gaming. Let's get a little of that out there."

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
This looks really cool.

If Nintendo actually allows this to happen, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Red Panda

Jan 28, 2014
OMG earthbound, my kryptonite! I have never even been tempted to contribute to a kickstarter until now... Goodbye my monies.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Must resist purchase. I need the documentary and real life handbook. I neeeeeeed it. And oh god the backpack. AND SCARTCH AND SNIFF STICKERS SHIT NO.

As with the poster wbove, goodbye monies.

Llasnad

Aug 6, 2008
Considering how shit Nintendo is in regards to Mother 3, I expect them to fully drop their pants and take a dump all over this somehow. I absolutely love this idea, but my hatred for Nintendo's disregard of the fanbase makes me far too jaded to think anything but ill. What can I say, I am a cold bitter man.

harryhenry

Jun 28, 2012
Llasnad said:
Considering how shit Nintendo is in regards to Mother 3, I expect them to fully drop their pants and take a dump all over this somehow. I absolutely love this idea, but my hatred for Nintendo's disregard of the fanbase makes me far too jaded to think anything but ill. What can I say, I am a cold bitter man.
Actually, they've gotten permission from Nintendo to release this stuff!

Llasnad

Aug 6, 2008
harryhenry said:
Actually, they've gotten permission from Nintendo to release this stuff!
I feel my world view has been shaken. Nintendo doing something good for fans? Guess I need to locate my hat and eat it now...