EA's Gibeau: Soon Mobile Graphics Will Rival Current Consoles

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Even if true, it's a lot easier making something look good on a screen that's at least 5 times smaller than your usual TV screen.

Also, shitty controls. Fuck that.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in the long run smart phones are going to end up as a fad. I mean yeah it's some cool technology and all the young kids these days are really into them, but while they work as a phone it's a rather poor and limited platform for your basic computing needs. Tiny screen, poor input, expensive hardware and data...

I mean I could be way off but it just feels like it will be something like how I look back 15 years ago when I got my first PC with a 17" CRT monitor then look at my current 22" wide screen LCD monitor and wonder how ever could I have used that old clunky thing. To me a tablet is far more convenient, then you have new technologies coming out like google glasses that could squash smart phones on the market.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
So pretty soon they'll be almost as good as consoles that are 7 years old and even when released were only as good as mid-tier computers? Umm...hard to get excited about that. Also, tiny screens and awful controls? I'd say those matter more than graphics. All the graphics in the world won't make up for that.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Not interested. Not being chained to the stone of amazing graphics allows certain mobile games to actually try and innovate in other areas.

Of course, all EA's mobile titles are lazy, uninspiring ports of things like The Sims, Tetris, and their cut down Mass Effect/Dead Space games.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
Doom972 said:
By the time that happens, next-gen capabilities will be the standard, so tablets will stay behind.

Againt, I have to ask: Who's the target audience for this? The majority of tablet users don't care about games with flashy graphics anyway, and gamers use PC/Consoles/dedicated handhelds.
Yeah next gen consoles will put mobile devices to shame... Unfortunately the next gen's CPU and GPU architecture was originally aimed for the mobile / tablet devices. So not so much...

The only thing the console version of the jaguar APU's has going for it is the SKU will be two mobile 4 core SKU's put together (more cores does not necessarily mean better) and a clock speed bump. I don't think mobile devices will take much time to catch that up.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-and-xbox-one-s-amd-jaguar-cpu-examined/0116297

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_%28microarchitecture%29

So tablets will already be on the market, running with the same chips as next gen consoles (just with less cores), not long after the consoles launch....

Also as to the controls issue. Not so much of an issue.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phonejoy/phonejoy-play-turn-your-phone-into-a-console
I wasn't referring to a controls issue. I was saying that core gaming doesn't appeal to the general tablet user demographics. That demographic is interested in short, simple, $2 games to kill time with.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
so? gonna make the games good or just make them pretty? pretty you say? cool, I'll be over here playing games with weaker graphics but are way better over all.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Doom972 said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Doom972 said:
By the time that happens, next-gen capabilities will be the standard, so tablets will stay behind.

Againt, I have to ask: Who's the target audience for this? The majority of tablet users don't care about games with flashy graphics anyway, and gamers use PC/Consoles/dedicated handhelds.
Yeah next gen consoles will put mobile devices to shame... Unfortunately the next gen's CPU and GPU architecture was originally aimed for the mobile / tablet devices. So not so much...

The only thing the console version of the jaguar APU's has going for it is the SKU will be two mobile 4 core SKU's put together (more cores does not necessarily mean better) and a clock speed bump. I don't think mobile devices will take much time to catch that up.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-and-xbox-one-s-amd-jaguar-cpu-examined/0116297

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_%28microarchitecture%29

So tablets will already be on the market, running with the same chips as next gen consoles (just with less cores), not long after the consoles launch....

Also as to the controls issue. Not so much of an issue.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phonejoy/phonejoy-play-turn-your-phone-into-a-console
I wasn't referring to a controls issue. I was saying that core gaming doesn't appeal to the general tablet user demographics. That demographic is interested in short, simple, $2 games to kill time with.
Comment about controls meant for others in the tread, but it looks like the quoting of those posts did not work properly.

And you did make a point about next gen consoles leaving tablets behind, which I disagree with.

The rest of your point I did not argue against, which you can read as agreement...

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
So tell me Gibeau, how they're going to solve the battery issues present in this assertion of yours?

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
aren't most tablet/phone users completely scared off if a game costs more than a dollar? these are casuals they aren't interested in big budget games

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The question is; Do we want them to?

Improving the graphics will put a considerable strain on the systems resources, which will consume more power, meaning the battery won't last as long. Yay for Crysis 3 on your smart phone, but 5 minutes before the battery dies wouldn't be worth it.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

(Honestly, for fuck's sakes, "in the near future" could be when the next generation of consoles are out).

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
correction: they already do

Doom972 said:

is the next gen capabilities a standrt now? no? thenm this is false.

fix-the-spade said:
So basically, console gamers are going to find themselves in the same boat as PC gamers have been in the last eight or so years.
erm what? how does being graphically inferior relate to PCs? they have been graphically superior during their whole existence. you dont make sense. make sense!

PoolCleaningRobot said:
Strategy games and turn based rpgs would work great on touch screens
that woudl be true if touchscreens would always click the same spot you do..... try prioritizing that one small but deadly enemy in a horde of moving large enemies, with a bulky finger on your screen, tell me how it goes.

surg3n said:
The only handheld that I thought had some potential for FPS games is the PS-Vita, and what EA titles do we have on that?
thats probably because FPS titles on hnadhelds often win the nomination of a "dev team that wanted to work on PC the most"

Vaccine said:
Cool, I'll believe it when I see it, but it's nothing but words right now.

If it really is boasting that kind of tech I am scared at the size and weight of the battery required for that, or worse yet, the disgusting price tag on some of the next gen tablets when and if they come out.
current battery complectation is a pity state. i woudl love to have double the size of my smartphone if that meant double the battery life. sadly, no such option is even available "because it must be small, herp derp". i think that fact that people still get sold stuff with batteries that get drained in 3 hours is insulting. besides battery technology does progress forward currently, in the last 5 years double in power/weight.

RandV80 said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in the long run smart phones are going to end up as a fad. I mean yeah it's some cool technology and all the young kids these days are really into them, but while they work as a phone it's a rather poor and limited platform for your basic computing needs. Tiny screen, poor input, expensive hardware and data...
i got a smart phone. the intention on buying it was calls and messages. but the "game while sitting in a bus" aspect is a bonus that i like. i would never gave on a smart phone at home, but the fact that i got a small protable computer on my pocket that i can use to browse internet adn whatnot in lcoations where normally there is no such service has asaved me a couple times. just dont expect mobiel gaming to be the new hardcore thing..

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Somebody give EA a medal. This year they've really turned their thought process around. The goal is still 'make lots of money,' but they seem to be doing everything lately like they have a brain and are using it.

"Same ingredients, completely different meal," Gibeau concludes. "That's kind of the way we think about it."

^This is called being rational.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Yes, but they will still be using shitty touch controls that are on the screen, obstructing the player's view.
This is why I bought one of these Moga Pro [http://www.mogaanywhere.com/about-moga/moga-pro-controller/] controllers. It makes it so you do not have to use the shitty on screen controls and for me it makes it so I can play longer too. No MASSIVE power drain from my tablet because I am always touching the screen.

DO NOT GET THAT NYKO CRAP CONTROLLER! I bought one of the Nykos about 8 months ago and the APP is still in Beta stage, something they never mentioned on the box. And they have not added a SINGLE game to the app since I bought the damn thing. Moga is adding new games every week.

I bought a Moga and gave that Nyko hunk of junk to my 1 year old to "play" with while I am playing a game.

OT: Yeah because the new tablets and phones coming out are starting to nip at the speed and power heels of the current consoles. Or if you spend enough surpass them. Problem is games like that still have a shitty effect on battery life, because better graphics = more CPU/GPU demand= more power demand on battery.

Mobile gaming is what real gamers do when they can not get to a console or a PC. Casuals are already happy with the games we have now and would not be the real market for the games they are talking about.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
slash2x said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Yes, but they will still be using shitty touch controls that are on the screen, obstructing the player's view.
This is why I bought one of these Moga Pro [http://www.mogaanywhere.com/about-moga/moga-pro-controller/] controllers. It makes it so you do not have to use the shitty on screen controls and for me it makes it so I can play longer too. No MASSIVE power drain from my tablet because I am always touching the screen.

That actually looks rather nice. And should give handhelds a run for their money.

The problem, as usual, is support. As long as they aren't ubiquitous, the majority of devs are going to continue to develop for shitty touch controls.

Problem is games like that still have a shitty effect on battery life, because better graphics = more CPU/GPU demand= more power demand on battery.
Good point, almost forgot about current battery limitations.