EA's John Schappert Sounds Off On Infinity Ward Scandal

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
EA's John Schappert Sounds Off On Infinity Ward Scandal

John Schappert from EA doesn't think the Activision/Infinity Ward litigation battle is a win for anyone in the industry.

Last week's story about Activision dumping the heads of Infinity Ward rocked the game industry and has far-reaching implications. Despite the fact that Electronic Arts is a competitor with Activision, chief operating officer John Schappert hopes that Jason Westand Vince Zampellacan get past their legal struggles and continue to make great games.

Schappert began with veiled comments about a "mothership" games company that "likes to litigate" and "looks at their legal team as a revenue generating team." Alex Pham from the Los Angeles Times then encouraged him to talk about what she called the "white elephant in the room," the ongoing legal struggles between Activision and Infinity Ward.

"I've read the same complaints that everyone has," Schappert said. "There's two sides to every story and I'm certainly not passing judgment." After that huge caveat, Schappert did state his opinion on the matter:

I'm disappointed on a couple fronts, because I think Jason and Vince, on the human side are two great guys. I know them personally; I think they've done great things, and they are two of the greatest creative leaders in our space.

And to think that they are going to spend their future dealing with litigation and lawyers rather than crafting the next great experience, I don't think that's a win for them. I don't think it's a win for our industry. That's disappointing. I hope that they find a way to continue to make games and focus on that during this period.

Schappert went on to praise Modern Warfare 2 and the whole franchise and is further disappointed that its future is now in question. "I don't think that anyone wins," he repeated.

When pressed as to whether Activision should be referred to as a "mothership" or the "Death Star," Schappert stayed non-commital. "There's some free space there."

Which term fits is up for discussion, I suppose.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Well that was obvious. No one wins in these situations, bravo Dr. Algebra.

That said, I do hope these two guys can get past this and continue making great games.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Well, I suppose they wouldn't actually tell anyone how they had started popping the champagne when they heard.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
i really like this new EA.
competition=better product
no competition=coasting shovelware

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
It is sad that those guys are going to be wasting their time in litigation instead of crafting games.

But they have to do it.

I believe Activision is pulling a fast one on them, and they were right to call them out. You have to be DAMN sure about your case to accuse a large corporation of impropriety, because they have the lawyers and money to bury you. These guys have taken it up with them, and god speed.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
EA is so good at marketing, it almost makes me want to like them.

Then I remember it's part of their marketing. *shrugs it off* They still do good things every once in a while though. Damnit

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It is a little bit of a loss, and, I just wish we could know more about what had happened behind the scenes and all the huse-hush that occured...

Gurss its just one of those things

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Activision should just give up. I know EA is huge (Everything Acquired), but Activision is scary. We are all going to end up paying for this, either by games going up, or by there being no more MW games. Call of Duty can die, as it is, but I enjoy the MW story line and characters.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
It amazes me how quickly we've gone for an EA love in with BBC2 out and Activision being loathed. I can remember back when EA was hated with a passion...

Must be a sign I'm getting old.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
bjj hero said:
It amazes me how quickly we've gone for an EA love in with BBC2 out and Activision being loathed. I can remember back when EA was hated with a passion...

Must be a sign I'm getting old.
I'm not sure it happened when BC2 came out, they were seeming like a good guy in my eyes since about mirrors edge, at least from what I can remember. Since the rise of Activision they have really cleaned up their image and started to really promote new ideas and not just shovelware. Well, at least this is my opinion.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
If EA wants the legal battles to be over for the two ex-heads of IW, they should have kept their mouth shut on all fronts. After all, isn't Activision trying to somehow prove through a sick lawyer idea that Jason and Vince are somehow having a coup with EA? Regardless of what is said by anyone on EA, it's going to be taken and twisted in court to make the ex-employees look like evil snakes that deserved job annihilation.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Jaredin said:
It is a little bit of a loss, and, I just wish we could know more about what had happened behind the scenes and all the huse-hush that occured...

Gurss its just one of those things
Well apparently Infinity Ward demanded the rights to be the only people allowed to make the next call of duty games and Activision wasn't happy about that so they fired the Infinity Ward leaders and now it's going to court.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Greg Tito said:
"looks at their legal team as a revenue generating team."
Dudes got a point, remember Brutal Legend and that fiasco?.

MR T3D said:
i really like this new EA.
competition=better product
no competition=coasting shovelware
Me too, I'm actually looking forward to the next Medal of Honour, madness isn't it?.

Phoenixlight said:
Well apparently Infinity Ward demanded the rights to be the only people allowed to make the next call of duty games and Activision wasn't happy about that so they fired the Infinity Ward leaders and now it's going to court.
No, from what was in the news the reason IW wanted Modern Warfare to be called Modern Warfare instead of "Call of Duty: MW2" is so IW could prise the rights to it away from Activision, I.E only IW make future MW named games.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Izerous said:
The Quib Quib
Oh man, that just made me burst out laughing. While funny (and a very lame name for a ship!), I don't really think that name is menacing enough for Activision.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I feel more sorry for the industry when I hear someone call the developers of Call of Duty some of the "two of the greatest creative leaders in our space."

That makes me sad