EA's New Simpsons Game is Too Awesome For The App Store

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA's New Simpsons Game is Too Awesome For The App Store

The new iOS game The Simpsons: Tapped Out is so popular that EA had no choice but to remove it from the App Store.

Back in February, Electronic Arts pulled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115968-EA-Pulls-Battlefield-3-Aftershock-From-App-Store] the iOS game Battlefield 3: Aftershock from the App Store because it sucked so hard that its mere existence was an intolerable affront to good taste. Today, the publisher removed The Simpsons: Tapped Out for the complete opposite reason: it's just too damn awesome for its own good.

The problem, to put a bit of a finer point on it, is that the "overwhelmingly positive" response to the game has clobbered the servers, resulting in serious connection and lag issues. Players who already have the game will still be able to play, but everyone else will have to wait until EA gets things squared away.

"To ensure current players have the best possible experience, we've temporarily removed The Simpsons: Tapped Out from the App Store to limit the game's server capacity to its current players and address connectivity and lag time issues," EA said in a statement [https://help.ea.com/article/The-Simpsons-Tapped-Out-Connection-Issues]. "As soon as we have resolved these issues to handle greater player capacity, we will return The Simpsons: Tapped Out to the App Store so that even more people can enjoy this 'life-ruiningly fun' game. Meanwhile, thanks to everyone for their patience, and we will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share."

Pulling a game is never a good thing but if it must be done, I suppose this is the best possible reason to do it. There's no word at this point on when the game might return.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Fix it up, adjust for traffic, put it out as fast as possible to capitalize on the popularity.

A much better situation for EA then the Battlefield "game".

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well.... this is a pretty good thing, right?

I mean, a game being Too popular? Never can be a bad thing, right?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
vrbtny said:

[sub]well Call of Duty and Halo did become too popular[/sub]

OT: well... at least it's better news for EA than that Battlefield thing, right? =P

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
teh_Canape said:
vrbtny said:

True, but I was thinking less along the line of franchises and more of "new" games.

Agree with you on Call of Duty (not necessarily Halo, but Halo Fan-Boy ^-^)

But, I mean, there have been soooo many crud IOS games, it's nice to have a good one. And supporting new developers and such.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
vrbtny said:
teh_Canape said:
vrbtny said:

True, but I was thinking less along the line of franchises and more of "new" games.

Agree with you on Call of Duty (not necessarily Halo, but Halo Fan-Boy ^-^)

But, I mean, there have been soooo many crud IOS games, it's nice to have a good one. And supporting new developers and such.
won't talk about the iOS games because I don't have an iOS system so I don't have an opinion on it (it's crazy how expensive iPhones and iPads are down here =P)
and to be honest, Halo at least does have COLORS and some relative LORE to hook you in
so yeah, credit where it's due

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
teh_Canape said:
won't talk about the iOS games because I don't have an iOS system so I don't have an opinion on it (it's crazy how expensive iPhones and iPads are down here =P)
and to be honest, Halo at least does have COLORS and some relative LORE to hook you in
Down where? *Looks down to the side of chair.*

Oh, right. Australia?

And, Yep, Halo Lore is great :) And you don't spend 50% of the gameplay looking down iron sights or hiding behind cover waiting for your head to regrow. Also, you play as a armour-wearing supersoldier, so that's pretty cool.

Also, I love your avatar. Rarity and anime-chick headbumb for the win.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Pull it for a couple days to raise the media and buzz about it, then jack the price up more like it.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Baldr said:
Pull it for a couple days to raise the media and buzz about it, then jack the price up more like it.
Exactly. This IS EA we're talking about.

Never heard of this until today. Might check it out if they don't charge £10 for it.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
vrbtny said:
teh_Canape said:

Oh, right. Australia?

And, Yep, Halo Lore is great :) And you don't spend 50% of the gameplay looking down iron sights or hiding behind cover waiting for your head to regrow. Also, you play as a armour-wearing supersoldier, so that's pretty cool.

actually, Argentina =P

the only downside I see on Halo, though, is that for the most part, it feels like it's the Headquarters or something, where all the internet tough guys and idiots gather to spew stupid bullshit
but hey, so does Call of Bullshit, so I digress
btw, that's Hanako from Katawa Shoujo

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
That seems like a game I'd actually play. What's it even about?
I'm seeing a lot of hate, but EA has apparently released some really good games on iOS, maybe they're actually not the bad guys this time? Then again, I'm not seeing any of it on Android, so screw 'em!

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
teh_Canape said:
vrbtny said:
teh_Canape said:

Oh, right. Australia?

actually, Argentina =P

the only downside I see on Halo, though, is that for the most part, it feels like it's the Headquarters or something, where all the internet tough guys and idiots gather to spew stupid bullshit
but hey, so does Call of Bullshit, so I digress
btw, that's Hanako from Katawa Shoujo
Apologies, here in the UK "down under" is the nickname for Australia. Mainly because Australie is supposed to be on the exactly the opposite side of the Earth to us.

Also, it was nice to have another person agree that a major franchise does have some positive points, rather than just "OMG THIS GAME TOTALLY SUCKS. RAWRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

..... ain't ever watched Anime...... well, aside from Highschool of the Dead, because...well..... boobs and Zombies.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
vrbtny said:
Apologies, here in the UK "down under" is the nickname for Australia. Mainly because Australie is supposed to be on the exactly the opposite side of the Earth to us.

Also, it was nice to have another person agree that a major franchise does have some positive points, rather than just "OMG THIS GAME TOTALLY SUCKS. RAWRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

..... ain't ever watched Anime...... well, aside from Highschool of the Dead, because...well..... boobs and Zombies.
well, honestly, I've only ever played Combat Evolved (say that because the MP I've played of the others wasn't enough to say that I actually did play them =P
that and Combat Evolved is amazing)
also, Katawa Shoujo is a visual novel, not an anime
it's free, so I suggest you giving it a try, as far as I know, it was made by "amateurs" but it has a very professional feel and does character development really well

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
Let's not confuse popularity with quality.

I am not saying that the game is bad, but it is kind of an undeserved assesment that it is too awesome.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
teh_Canape said:
vrbtny said:

well, honestly, I've only ever played Combat Evolved (say that because the MP I've played of the others wasn't enough to say that I actually did play them =P
it's free, so I suggest you giving it a try, as far as I know, it was made by "amateurs" but it has a very professional feel and does character development really well
CE is the best, and has aged.... decently, compared to many other games.

Always willing to try out new things. So.... to da visual novel!!!

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
vrbtny said:
teh_Canape said:
vrbtny said:

CE is the best, and has aged.... decently, compared to many other games.

Always willing to try out new things. So.... to da visual novel!!!
yeah aging tends to play against so many good games
such as Deus Ex or System Shock 2 =P