EA's New Simpsons Game is Too Awesome For The App Store

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
teh_Canape said:
vrbtny said:
teh_Canape said:
vrbtny said:
Apologies, here in the UK "down under" is the nickname for Australia. Mainly because Australie is supposed to be on the exactly the opposite side of the Earth to us.

Also, it was nice to have another person agree that a major franchise does have some positive points, rather than just "OMG THIS GAME TOTALLY SUCKS. RAWRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

..... ain't ever watched Anime...... well, aside from Highschool of the Dead, because...well..... boobs and Zombies.
well, honestly, I've only ever played Combat Evolved (say that because the MP I've played of the others wasn't enough to say that I actually did play them =P
that and Combat Evolved is amazing)
also, Katawa Shoujo is a visual novel, not an anime
it's free, so I suggest you giving it a try, as far as I know, it was made by "amateurs" but it has a very professional feel and does character development really well
CE is the best, and has aged.... decently, compared to many other games.

Always willing to try out new things. So.... to da visual novel!!!
yeah aging tends to play against so many good games
such as Deus Ex or System Shock 2 =P
Totally. It is why I still play BattleFront II or NightFire... or Battle for Middle Earth.

Also, downloading that visual novel now :)

It better be worth it o_O

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
vrbtny said:
teh_Canape said:
vrbtny said:
teh_Canape said:
vrbtny said:
Apologies, here in the UK "down under" is the nickname for Australia. Mainly because Australie is supposed to be on the exactly the opposite side of the Earth to us.

Also, it was nice to have another person agree that a major franchise does have some positive points, rather than just "OMG THIS GAME TOTALLY SUCKS. RAWRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

..... ain't ever watched Anime...... well, aside from Highschool of the Dead, because...well..... boobs and Zombies.
well, honestly, I've only ever played Combat Evolved (say that because the MP I've played of the others wasn't enough to say that I actually did play them =P
that and Combat Evolved is amazing)
also, Katawa Shoujo is a visual novel, not an anime
it's free, so I suggest you giving it a try, as far as I know, it was made by "amateurs" but it has a very professional feel and does character development really well
CE is the best, and has aged.... decently, compared to many other games.

Always willing to try out new things. So.... to da visual novel!!!
yeah aging tends to play against so many good games
such as Deus Ex or System Shock 2 =P
Totally. It is why I still play BattleFront II or NightFire... or Battle for Middle Earth.

Also, downloading that visual novel now :)

It better be worth it o_O
it's free, so it's not like you're losing anything, right? =P

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Bradeck said:
What are the odds it gets chopped up into DLC packs?
Bout 100%. And when the game is re-added to the store, it'll cost 5x as much. There will also be a 'premium' edition that costs even more but allows you access to the better servers.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
Sylveria said:
Bradeck said:
What are the odds it gets chopped up into DLC packs?
Bout 100%. And when the game is re-added to the store, it'll cost 5x as much. There will also be a 'premium' edition that costs even more but allows you access to the better servers.
Also, iOrigin will now be required to play.

Speaking of which, how is iTunes method of selling stuff not restrictive, but Steam is?

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Why do I suspect that it will return to the app store very soon and with a tripled pricetag?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
vrbtny said:
Well.... this is a pretty good thing, right?

I mean, a game being Too popular? Never can be a bad thing, right?
Well, yes and no, I wouldn't be surprised if pulling it is being done in part to find some other methods to make money off of it. I wouldn't be surprised if EA was looking at the game's popularity, and deciding they released it for too little money, and pulled it so they can find some way to make more money off of it given that there is still demand to buy it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it costs more when it goes back up.

I could be wrong, but it's just a suspician.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Be amazing if EA realised it's selling partly because it's of a low price tag and didn't screw with it. Steam's proved this enough times, when they've done 80% off a game and it's sold far far more than the five times more needed to recoup the discount.

Come on EA, be sensible and take the money, while not pissing off a whole new swathe of people who haven't heard about your evil yet.

Taking it all at face value however, it's a great move by EA, actually caring about the quality of the game experience enough to risk some bad feedback to make it better.

There's always going to be entitled gamers, and if they have to wait a few days to buy the game they want, well, it'll still be there in a few days, and it's not the only game in the world.

praus

Jun 21, 2010
Baldr said:
Pull it for a couple days to raise the media and buzz about it, then jack the price up more like it.
Those were my thoughts exactly. I know it's cynical but I assumed they realized it was super popular and decided to raise the price. Of course the free publicity they're getting now doesn't hurt either.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
teh_Canape said:
vrbtny said:

[sub]well Call of Duty and Halo did become too popular[/sub]

OT: well... at least it's better news for EA than that Battlefield thing, right? =P
How exactly are those two game franchises "too popular"? No one is hurt by them, they keep thousands of people in jobs supporting their family's, millions upon millions of people play and enjoy them, and they have even managed to bring a lot of people into the gaming fold. Don't like them? Don't play them. Oh yes, too popular indeed. Whatever will you do.

Don't bother with the 'games get dumbed down/copied too much, blahblahblah' either. One look at my Steam library will show you near on one hundred RPGs and indie games that have nothing to do with brown shooters. Another look at the FPS genre will also reveal to you a thriving assortment of colours and styles, from future-punk to WW1, magic to tech, hyper real to cartoonishly over the top.

I really hate the fad of being against big things.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Well that's better than forcing Tapped out players to submit to lag.

I GET IT!!!

OT: Well, that's kinda stupid. This doesn't seem like the logical thing to do in this situation.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
teh_Canape said:
vrbtny said:

[sub]well Call of Duty and Halo did become too popular[/sub]

OT: well... at least it's better news for EA than that Battlefield thing, right? =P
How exactly are those two game franchises "too popular"? No one is hurt by them, they keep thousands of people in jobs supporting their family's, millions upon millions of people play and enjoy them, and they have even managed to bring a lot of people into the gaming fold. Don't like them? Don't play them. Oh yes, too popular indeed. Whatever will you do.

Don't bother with the 'games get dumbed down/copied too much, blahblahblah' either. One look at my Steam library will show you near on one hundred RPGs and indie games that have nothing to do with brown shooters. Another look at the FPS genre will also reveal to you a thriving assortment of colours and styles, from future-punk to WW1, magic to tech, hyper real to cartoonishly over the top.

I really hate the fad of being against big things.
it was supposed to be a really bad joke about hating popular things makes you cool
I don't hate any of both franchises, I already noted the good things from Halo, and the ones of CoD are that it has good controls and a pretty addictive multiplayer, along with a pretty cinematic campaign mode

as for the dumbing down, there is some in CoD and you can't deny
compare both the first one and any of the post-MW ones and you will see
but as long as it's playable, it's fine

is it clear now?