EA's Origin is creepy and watches you sleep!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Well ok, not really, but EA's Origin does watch everything you do on your computer.

If you read the End User License Agreement for Origin it states that by installing Origin you're giving EA the right to monitor your PC and to make a profile of you, including what programs you have installed (and whether you have any illegally downloaded material), what websites you use, etc., and that EA reserves the right to share or sell this information to third parties.

Why have I heard NOTHING about this yet? Where is the outrage? Is it just that no one actually reads the EULA, or is it that in the age of facebook no one cares about people monitoring everything they do?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Whelp... Not getting any EA games for my PC in the foreseeable future, thank you very much. There are many things I can stand when it comes to games and DRM and the like. Invading my privacy is not one of them.

Jul 9, 2008
I actually had heard some of that (I think Root Of All Evil mentioned it on some thread yesterday), but I too am surprised at the lack of outrage. That is absolutely ridiculous.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
HassEsser said:
STEAM keeps records of your programs installed, too

just tah let you know
Yeah, but not ALL of them. Just the ones you got from Steam.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
I think that someone already started a topic about.

OT:this is one of the main reasons that i don't use it.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Isn't it awesome how the more we learn about Origin, the worse it gets?

I'm reminded of all the folks who came down on the "both companies are greedy" or the "wait and see" side of the EA vs. Valve debate.

When you're dealing with the devil, you really don't need to hear the details.

Honestly, they are making it harder and harder for me to buy their games now. I want to be as carefree as the next guy and dismiss all of this bullshit so I can play seemingly great games like BF3, ME3, etc. But it's either at or very near the point where I don't feel comfortable supporting EA with my purchases anymore.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Bugger me, I was actually considering bending my Steam-only policy and getting Origin, purely for Dragon Age 2.

BUT NO. You do not get to take my everything and sell it to 'third parties'. That is creepy. A shame it is, I quite like a lot of EA games.

mornal

Aug 19, 2009
Oh no! So you mean to say that if I have Origin I'll get spam mail based on what it thinks I like? That's horrible! This is a completely new thing that will ruin everything forever! And you say it'll detect pirated software? How dare EA try to fight against an illegal practice! What has the world come to?

Jul 9, 2008
mornal said:
Oh no! So you mean to say that if I have Origin I'll get spam mail based on what it thinks I like? That's horrible! This is a completely new thing that will ruin everything forever! And you say it'll detect pirated software? How dare EA try to fight against an illegal practice! What has the world come to?
So the fact that it scans your computer and takes note of what programs you have installed and (this wasn't in the OP, but it's part of it) what websites you visit doesn't bother you? Doesn't seem like s bit of an invasion of privacy? Also, as for the first part of your post, the fact that other companies do it makes it ok?

mornal

Aug 19, 2009
mornal said:
So the fact that it scans your computer and takes note of what programs you have installed and (this wasn't in the OP, but it's part of it) what websites you visit doesn't bother you? Doesn't seem like s bit of an invasion of privacy? Also, as for the first part of your post, the fact that other companies do it makes it ok?
It bothers me, but not enough to declare EA the devil and refuse to buy their games. Do I wish they didn't do it? Yeah, sure. Do I really care? Nope.

As to the "if others do it" comment: no, obviously not. Two wrongs don't make a right. But even with other companies doing the same thing all I get is some spam in my inbox. It's annoying (barely) but one more company doing it won't be the end of the world.

Again, am I saying that I condone what EA doing their whole snooping thing? No. But I'm not going to let that get in the way of some of the damn fine games they produce.

Jul 9, 2008
mornal said:
mornal said:
It bothers me, but not enough to declare EA the devil and refuse to buy their games. Do I wish they didn't do it? Yeah, sure. Do I really care? Nope.

As to the "if others do it" comment: no, obviously not. Two wrongs don't make a right. But even with other companies doing the same thing all I get is some spam in my inbox. It's annoying (barely) but one more company doing it won't be the end of the world.

Again, am I saying that I condone what EA doing their whole snooping thing? No. But I'm not going to let that get in the way of some of the damn fine games they produce.
Eh, I get you. Personally, this whole sort of thing is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, but I get why you might not see it in the same light.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
That explains that one Critical Miss to me...http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9058-Critical-Miss-Origin

Anyway, This doesn't really effect me since I don't really game online. I don't have a Steam either. Still, kinda messed up how they do that. I think it's mainly for survey purposes though.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Whats that? Origin who?

Sorry I was too busy sucking the steam co, er, valve to notice there was another option. Still not gonna use the other option either!

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
leet_x1337 said:
HassEsser said:

just tah let you know
Not according to their survey. see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
HassEsser said:

just tah let you know
That's not true.

http://torrentfreak.com/steam-gamers-are-avid-bittorrent-users-100823/

It's voluntary, but it's on by default as far as I know. Most people are submitting system specs and software installed on their computers without knowing. I mean, I know they use some of it to gauge whether or not to support XP or see how many people are on what OS with what hardware, but people should just be aware of it.

Honestly, I have nothing important to hide, but I'd rather they didn't do that.

mornal

Aug 19, 2009
Eh, I get you. Personally, this whole sort of thing is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, but I get why you might not see it in the same light.
Understandable. My huge pet peeve is people who read about small problems (at least in my opinion) with a game, or in this case service, make them refuse to buy it. "Battlefield 3 won't have an in-game server browser? You've just lost a customer EA!".

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Valiance said:
leet_x1337 said:
HassEsser said:

just tah let you know
That's not true.

http://torrentfreak.com/steam-gamers-are-avid-bittorrent-users-100823/

It's voluntary, but it's on by default as far as I know. Most people are submitting system specs and software installed on their computers without knowing. I mean, I know they use some of it to gauge whether or not to support XP or see how many people are on what OS with what hardware, but people should just be aware of it.

Honestly, I have nothing important to hide, but I'd rather they didn't do that.
Er, you get to opt out when you install. It's what I did.