EA's Origin is creepy and watches you sleep!

razerdoh

Nov 10, 2009
Pedro The Hutt said:
Well, here's to hoping that Valve can win EA back (which they seemingly intend to do) because no way am I installing Origin.

Also, here's to hoping The Old Republic won't make me use Origin despite me getting a hard copy. I like my basic human rights thank you very much.
EA have stated multiple times that all future EA games will use Origin despite you buying a hard copy...

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Avalanche91 said:
welp, I was willing to give it a shot. I really was.

Now I might have to pirate Mass Effect 3, if only to spite EA.
You might want to er.... change that comment.

Condolence of Piracy on the Escapist is pretty much a guaranteed warning / probation.

OT: Origin: never going to use it for a myriad of reasons, the excessive spyware being one.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
razerdoh said:
Pedro The Hutt said:
Well, here's to hoping that Valve can win EA back (which they seemingly intend to do) because no way am I installing Origin.

Also, here's to hoping The Old Republic won't make me use Origin despite me getting a hard copy. I like my basic human rights thank you very much.
EA have stated multiple times that all future EA games will use Origin despite you buying a hard copy...
Wow, im now going to uninstall Sims 3 as well as never buy a PC game from EA ever ever again

deadguy

Aug 22, 2009
Why would I ever want to give out all my information to EA and other 'third parties'. Luckily, I can live without Battlefield 3, but any hopes of my buying any EA games at all in the future are completely over now. As if I needed even less reason to install Origin.

prince_xedar

Aug 25, 2010
noone cares about this. Just like the fact that by agreeing to the facebook terms and conditions you are letting Facebook keep everything you ever post even if you delete it they can keep it and sell it to any company/organization that pays for it

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
mornal said:
Eh, I get you. Personally, this whole sort of thing is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, but I get why you might not see it in the same light.
Understandable. My huge pet peeve is people who read about small problems (at least in my opinion) with a game, or in this case service, make them refuse to buy it. "Battlefield 3 won't have an in-game server browser? You've just lost a customer EA!".
Why? If that game doesn't have a feature that they deem important then they shouldn't have to buy the blasted thing. Maybe the lack of a main menu doesn't bother you but for others the same can't be said. Games companies are providing a service, you aren't obligated to pay for a service you don't like.

mornal

Aug 19, 2009
bakan said:
mornal said:
Oh no! So you mean to say that if I have Origin I'll get spam mail based on what it thinks I like? That's horrible! This is a completely new thing that will ruin everything forever! And you say it'll detect pirated software? How dare EA try to fight against an illegal practice! What has the world come to?
Well, for the same reason there were a gazillion threads about windows xp and a lot of guides how to get rid of the monitoring...
But that didn't stop them from using XP. For some reason when EA spies on its users people boycott but when Facebook and Google spy we still use their services.

As I've said before in this thread, the only thing that's come of this big, horrible invasion of privacy when anyone else does it is some spam in your inbox. If some unwanted e-mails are enough to make you swear off a company that publishes excellent games, you have some problems.

Disclaimer: I don't condone the whole spying thing, but it doesn't bother me. If I have to get spam to play Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3, so be it.

KnowYourOnion said:
mornal said:
Eh, I get you. Personally, this whole sort of thing is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, but I get why you might not see it in the same light.
Understandable. My huge pet peeve is people who read about small problems (at least in my opinion) with a game, or in this case service, make them refuse to buy it. "Battlefield 3 won't have an in-game server browser? You've just lost a customer EA!".
Why? If that game doesn't have a feature that they deem important then they shouldn't have to buy the blasted thing. Maybe the lack of a main menu doesn't bother you but for others the same can't be said. Games companies are providing a service, you aren't obligated to pay for a service you don't like.
Unfortunately, we're getting into subjective topics here, but I'll respond as best I can.

The lack of a main menu shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone. How often do you spend on the main menu of a shooter? Is it anywhere near the amount of time you spend playing the game? My experiences with BF3 in the alpha weren't dampened because I didn't have a server browser.

Also, I feel obligated to say "wait until it's released before you pass judgement". It is a completely new way to do things (to my knowledge), we can't be judging it solely because it's a deviation from the norm (which really is the only way we can judge it right now).

And I'm not saying you're obligated to pay for a game that you don't like, I'm saying that people who focus on all the little things they don't like about the game that don't actually affect the game are doing it wrong. If the only reason you refuse to buy a game like Battlefield 3 is because they changed how you join mulitplayer matches, all that you're doing is making yourself look entitled.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Valiance said:
leet_x1337 said:
HassEsser said:
STEAM keeps records of your programs installed, too

just tah let you know
Yeah, but not ALL of them. Just the ones you got from Steam.
That's not true.

http://torrentfreak.com/steam-gamers-are-avid-bittorrent-users-100823/

It's voluntary, but it's on by default as far as I know. Most people are submitting system specs and software installed on their computers without knowing. I mean, I know they use some of it to gauge whether or not to support XP or see how many people are on what OS with what hardware, but people should just be aware of it.

Honestly, I have nothing important to hide, but I'd rather they didn't do that.
But not the websites I'm visiting, which is in my books a FAR worse invasion of privacy.

SH4DOWSL4Y3R

Jan 21, 2011
so essentially, the common response to this fiasco is: grumble grumble grumble, i don't want EA seeing what kind of dirty videos i watch in the evening! how dare they! (couldn't resist)

regardless, this is making me even less interested in origin, if that's even possible in the first place. i guess i might just have to forgo playin BF3 and ME3 now.

i hope they don't dare try take my ME2 from steam and attempt to force me into using origin. i will not be amused.

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
I know that the majority of the Escapist hates Origin, and that more and more people won't even be buying BF3 because of it, but what about the general gaming community? If Battlefield sells under expectations on PC, EA might reconsider how origin works, or change the service entirely.

Of course, BF3 is probably going to sell like hot cakes regardless, and no doubt EA will say Origin helped that.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
So... If all new EA games are only playable with Origin, and Origin is full to the brim of otherwise illegal spyware, how long do you think it'll be until someone tries to take it to court? Storing information on your hardware, software, credit card info, and other things that third parties can request and (more than likely) receive to then pass on to other third parties...

Ugh. It sounds like one big cluster fudge, and with their army of lawyers, there's really nothing customers can do but keep opting out or simply stop buying the products. I just can't put up with the idea that everything I do is being recorded by a company that doesn't give a rat's ass about keeping any of it private.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
leet_x1337 said:
HassEsser said:
STEAM keeps records of your programs installed, too

just tah let you know
Yeah, but not ALL of them. Just the ones you got from Steam.
So? You know that you can use Steam to check what software you've installed? And if YOU can, I'm pretty sure Valve can do it to.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I've always just assumed these corporations do this sort of thing. They need market data to make better products. EA's for all I know could be worse than that of Steam, or Xbox Live, but it's probably not drastically different.

I'm of the stance that I want to play video games, and so I'll agree to all of these things...otherwise I'd have an extremely limited game selection to choose from.

For those who follow these things, is there any precedence of a gaming corporations going after someone based on their non-gaming related actions only? The most I've read about is people being banned for utilizing cheat software within the game itself, or how they present themselves on the companies gaming websites.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Well ok, not really, but EA's Origin does watch everything you do on your computer.

If you read the End User License Agreement for Origin it states that by installing Origin you're giving EA the right to monitor your PC and to make a profile of you, including what programs you have installed (and whether you have any illegally downloaded material), what websites you use, etc., and that EA reserves the right to share or sell this information to third parties.

Why have I heard NOTHING about this yet? Where is the outrage? Is it just that no one actually reads the EULA, or is it that in the age of facebook no one cares about people monitoring everything they do?
Because Steam does it too.

By using Valve's online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information, as defined below. Valve may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties.
It's normal practice. Don't like it? Don't connect to internet, because these days majority of software does collect information about your PC and what you use on it. It's called market research, just a cheap version where they don't have to survey people individually from a limited pool.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Oh no!! EA is going to find all the pirated Ubisoft games out there. You know all of them, since their always-on DRM is so great at stopping piracy.
OT: This is bullshit plain and simple. I knew Origin wasn't a good thing, did not trust it from the time it was announced.

Retronana

Nov 27, 2010
EA once again shoot themselves in the foot.

I feel sorry for dice, it's not really fair to boycott their hard work because of the actions of the publisher.

NicoDK

Sep 21, 2009
prince_xedar said:
noone cares about this.
I guess alot of people here are known as noone then.

Someone should really sue them for creating spyware.