Easy Mode Hate Explained

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Polarity27 said:
There are some issues with the formatting of your post you might want to see to.

Polarity27 said:
Letting that rather astonishing comment about games not needing to be fun (something can be fun without being *mindless* fun, and I don't buy games to make them my second job) go,
I don't see what's astonishing. Games shouldn't need to be fun if the experience they are setting out to create is not that. Also, good point, you don't buy games to make them your "second job", but you do buy games that are "too difficult". How is that different? And why aren't you in a thread called "Take the grinding out of EVE Online!"?

Polarity27 said:
that comment about "people changing themselves to enjoy the game" bugged me. Like many other older people and/or people with disabilities, I *can't* change myself to enjoy the game, it's physiologically impossible. I can't make my reaction time better, I can't change my inability to navigate a new environment where all the rooms/corridors look identical, I can't stop the fatigue, dulled reflexes, and slowed thinking that happens to me when I've wiped repeatedly in an encounter; these things are the cause of age and disability and there's not a damn thing I can do about them.
Naturally I'm talking about the average player in this line of reasoning.
I'm sorry to hear that your age/disability is hindering you from enjoying the game, but at the same kind, you can't accept every developer of every game to have a contingency for every performance reducing ailment that can affect a person. The same way you have to find a special organization and invest in specially crafted wheel-chairs to play basketball without functioning legs, perhaps you need to find a modding community and invest in a decent PC to mess around with things at whatever pace you require. But if the effort involved in ejoying something is too great, perhaps it just isn't for you.
If it is, well, then you can learn to play competitive Street Fighter with your face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=83nSodg-HTU#!

*EDIT*

Dogstile said:
The appeal of dark souls for me was that the combat was tight and the tactics for different enemies were interesting.
The combat wouldn't be tight and the tactics for different enemies would be exactly the same if the enemies don't pose a threat to you.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
CCountZero said:
Loonyyy said:
...This whole thing plays both ways-modal difficulty allows players to choose the difficulty they want, and not including a variation of difficulty can either put off less, or more, skilled players.
It's not all about modal difficulty though. Or rather, it could be, but it would be a lot more work than any developer is gonna put into it.
No, it wouldn't. As you detail below.
Modal difficulty basically just scales numbers up or down,
False. What is meant here, is difficulty in modes. That can be accomplished by scaling damage or timings, which is in fact, quite easy (You could probably hack it in yourself), or by putting in some effort to make fundamental changes, particularly to AI. But you could just put in a scale, which would be easy. With proper access to the source, anyone with some experience with coding could do it in minutes.
and most of the time it results in a hard mode that feels cheap,
News flash: They always do. The hardest difficulty modes always feel cheap when you know you could be shrugging off all the damage. Halo on Legendary is vastly different to Halo on Normal. It doesn't cheapen the experience though. But, you'd rather the game with the cheap hard mode, and no lower mode. That's not an improvement. And, to the player who is less experienced, potentially with the controls, the lower difficulty may even be extremely difficult.
and an easy mode that often ruins the story, by making the enemy feel less dangerous than the game makes them out to be.
This is outright disingenuous. You choose the difficulty you want. If you think the enemy aren't hard enough, you increase the difficulty. There should be no narrative dissonance if there is the option to choose harder difficulties. If a player doesn't mind threat being undermined by difficulty, that's their choice. And, as above, an easier difficulty can be just as difficult for an unskilled player.
If you added an "easy mode" to Souls, people would still be complaining about not being able to find their way, and getting lost.
Sure. But those problems are relatively easily solved, and if you're lost, you can wonder around for a while, or even give up and look it up. You can't do that if your mastery of the controls or reflexes are not good enough. Hell, I still remember having to write down the pathings for the Lost Woods (Or whatever it was called) for Ocarina of Time.
That sort of challenge is far less frustrating than having the bar for entry set to high to begin with.

You know what, if they included in Souls and the like, the option for a player who cannot play due to the high difficulty to claim a refund, proportionate to the content unexperienced, then I wouldn't care. If they were willing to back up their supposed artistic expression with their wallets, I wouldn't care. They'd sell only to the hardcore, and everyone else would stay away, and there'd be no chance of grievance. But when someone buys an expensive product (And yes, it's advertised as difficult, but don't give me that), and is unable to experience it because the developer is lacking in the talent to make different difficulty modes, then they're entitled to recieve compensation for the game they didn't play. It's as bad as games that are too buggy to run.

ikoian

Feb 9, 2011
To me, a game with good depth and consistant difficulty curve will to more wonders than a game just being hard.