Eat Doritos, Drink Mt. Dew, Win an Xbox One

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Eat Doritos, Drink Mt. Dew, Win an Xbox One

In the surprise marketing deal of the century, Doritos and Mountain Dew have teamed up with Microsoft to promote the Xbox One.

Like Doritos and Mountain Dew? Geoff Keighley sure does [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-24-lost-humanity-18-a-table-of-doritos], and he's a respectable journalist-type! Now you can turn your unhealthy addiction for equally unhealthy snack food into a profit, with the chance to win one of Microsoft's new Xbox One consoles! This fall, Dew and Doritos will offer thousands of Xbox One systems in what will be "the biggest gaming promotion in the brands' history."

So how exactly can you turn munching chips and "doing the Dew" into an Xbox One? We're not quite sure yet. Distinctly lacking in the announcement of the promotion was an explanation of how it would actually work. We are told to register for updates on the promotion at www.DEWandDORITOS.com [http://www.DEWandDORITOS.com], and that the companies involved will be sharing more news throughout the summer.

"The Mountain Dew and Doritos brands are going to reward gamers in the biggest way possible this year with a variety of opportunities to get their hands on the new Xbox One," said Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb. "We'll be sharing more details throughout the summer, but rest assured that DEW and Doritos are creating something that is truly befitting of our epic new generation hardware."

Mountain Dew and Doritos are no strangers to teaming up with Xbox producer Microsoft, having teamed up in the past to promote the Halo franchise (when our friend Geoff first acquired his tasted for the delicious snacks). Mountain Dew even dipped its paws into Blizzard's coffers, appearing in a World of Warcraft cross-promotion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90265-World-of-Warcraft-Does-The-Dew] some time ago.

After Microsoft's embarrassing defeat by Sony at this year's E3, giving Xbox Ones away with packets of Doritos may be the only way they will be able to move the damn things.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
You know, nothing turned me off Dew like seeing Halo all over the labels. And it's not out of hatred for Halo. I've learned to live with the idea that Halo is probably okay. I won't be playing it, but the point stands. No, my deal is still with the people who eat, sleep, breathe, and then drink Halo. Seems wrong to me. This isn't any better. Can you imagine anyone's reaction to me holding up a nice long 20 oz. bottle to my face with the word XBONE on it?

Klitch

Jan 8, 2011
Eat and drink things that I don't like to have a chance to win something that I don't want. I'll get right on that ;).

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Hey guys do you have no dignity?

Want to win a gaming system possibly doomed to fail?

Have we got the contest for you!

Also who the hell needs to be bribed into drinking Dew? That stuff is delicious!

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
I don't care what they put on the labels, so long as the food and the drink tastes good, it shouldn't matter to me too much.

EDIT: Okay, I realized that could be taken out of context a bit. I meant, regardless of the promotion, so long as my Dew tastes good, and the Doritos taste good, I wouldn't give a rats ass about the XBone.

Besides, my snackums were tasty without the contest anyways.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
"Distinctly lacking in the announcement of the promotion was an explanation of how it would actually work."

Sounds par for the course on everything XBONE. Still, I honestly would say that I'd be happy if I won ONE. I could then trade it in for a PS4!

But yeah, you couldn't pay me to take an XBONE, unless you also paid for a lifetime of games along with it!

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Stay classy America. Stay classy.

Just read the latest thread title how 'E3 will not save the Xbox One' and my head I read it as 'Doritos will not save the Xbox One'.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Not only does Dew tasty nasty, there are things in it that may or may not be highly hazardous to your continued existence. Not at toxic as Red Bull, but still not something you should be encouraged to drink a lot of.

Doritos, I don't like them personally. I prefer not to be bombarded by flavor that saturates my tongue well after I've tried to wash it out. Its the kind of chip someone with a dead tongue would enjoy, in the same way that someone hard of hearing needs to turn up the volume to hear something. My tongue works fine, and I don't need your nasty taco shells either.

XBone? No. Not even "no, thank you." Just no.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think they'd be more successful if they threatened people with free xbones if they didn't do the dew

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Meh. I don't even really like Mountain Dew. Plus I kinda prefer Cheeze-Its, less messy and they taste good! :D

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Mountain Dew and Doritos brands are going to reward gamers in the biggest way possible this year with a variety of opportunities to get their hands on the new Xbox One,"
Okay, so where exactly is the reward? What am I missing?

Seracen said:
"Distinctly lacking in the announcement of the promotion was an explanation of how it would actually work."

Sounds par for the course on everything XBONE.
Oh, BURN!

sid

Jan 22, 2013
I'll tackle the years-old elephant in the room. Who on earth decided cheese-residue-dropping nachos would ever be a good idea to market alongside videogame controllers? Is this why they're pushing the Kinect? Was is you all along, Doritos? Was it you all along?

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Wow. Microsoft is getting desperate.

Shows how much confidence they have in their product that they're resorting to a competition to get people to own it.