EB Games Australia is Pulling The Elder Scrolls Online From Store Shelves

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I was going to make a censorship joke, but people beat me to it.

Mind you, mine would have been much funnier, but now I've decided not to tell anyone, cause it fits the theme.

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
Honestly, having played the beta, anyone hoping this goes F2P might not want to get their hopes up; it was a grindfest even when they expected you to buy the box and pay monthly, I'd hate to see what they do to character progression in order to "entice" freeps into buying stuff from the inevitably ludicrously expensive cash shop.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
RandV80 said:
Couldn't the game still require an up front purchase and just drop the subscription model?
They could, but they won't. Publishers are convinced that the F2P model is more profitable, since there is no limit on how much money a user can spend on the game.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
if its anything (other than, as stated by the company, just routine removal of product that isnt selling anymore in their eyes) it is more likely to be the removal INCASE of f2p rather than BECAUSE OF f2p

see, while a few notes about 'its just that not enough users were using the 6month model.' have been said at the ESO forums, so many people are foaming at the mouth about the possability of F2P (or its cousin, Buy-to-play) and they are all making forum posts about it.

other places see this and assume F2P is a given.
while other MMOs may have ditched the 6month sub a short time before they went free, the people at ESO have said many times that they would shut the game down, before allowing it to go F2P (same as the people behind FF:ARR by the way. and its little brother the other ff online game which is still doing fine and being subbed to) *i would like to know their stance on buy-to-play with small shop though, since i never saw any 'death befor B2P!' quotes from them, only 'death befor F2P!' lol*

so its highly likely that all these forum and news posts have upset the shareholder types at EB AU and they are pulling them for refunds from the makers, *just in case*
if the game went B2P instead on pc (and then console, since you have to have a gold sub to xbox to use it, its more enticing for them if they only have to pay microsoft to use their net and then buy the game not sub to it) then EB AU will just re-order some more when they get interest in it once more.

also B2P does not allways mean just buy and play. they nearly allways have some form of cash shop, but since its buy the game not dl for free they dont need as agressive a shop.
again, it depends on how much they need / want to make back.

whether it goes b2p or f2p for me, means not much since i am waiting for things to settle down befor i even consider going back to playing it.
B2P is just the same as F2P from my end. i bought the game allready after participating in the beta, so unless they want everyone who allready bought PC versions to buy again, im reasonably fine. (this is dependant on what bought users loose if they have a subbed/not subbed model like say, rift )

if the game continues on, and if the pvp justice system does not tear it a new hole in its backside (becasue sods law someone will work out how to use the pvp justice part against normal opted out users..it will happen....*points to the dye station griefers*) and if i can continue to play (whether it is f2p, sub or b2p) and enjoy, i may do so.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
MrHide-Patten said:
CrazyBlaze said:
When Target pulled GTA V from its shelves it was only a matter of time before things like this started happening. It was only a matter of time before other companies slowly started to remove their games. Slowly all the games will disappear from shelves and gaming itself will be banned in Australia. It will become a lawless land once again where roving bands of petitioners take up the megaphone against each other. Papers and pens shall be their shields and swords and the losers shall be buried other thousands of complaints well the winners walk off with a cheap since of fake moral superiority.
Unsure if satire or didn't read the article?
If you have to ask I clearly didn't do a good job.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
If EB is anything like Gamestop in the U.S., their PC rack is about the size of one of those condom machines in the gas station restroom. The fact that a game or two is being swapped out for something newer means absolutely nothing. Not to mention, this is EB. People don't go to EB for PC games. I don't go to Gamestop for any game, due to their abject need to open every package as it enters the store. I like my games unmolested by human hands before I open the package thank you. Anyway, back to playing ESO - I need my infiltrator set after all.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Eri said:
What do you expect when you make a game no one asked for and no one wanted?
This.

You win one internets for being absolutely correct (in my extremely limited estimation anyway)

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Since we know the exact date someone in Australia will know in four days if this article is accurate or not.

I am not sure if it is because they are going to be transitioning over to a F2P model or not, but if all the copies disappear on the 13th I think its a bad sign for the game considering they still haven't released the console version of the game yet.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
The next logical step is to start paying US to play the game.

I take checks, Bethesda. Don't worry.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
CrazyBlaze said:
MrHide-Patten said:
CrazyBlaze said:
When Target pulled GTA V from its shelves it was only a matter of time before things like this started happening. It was only a matter of time before other companies slowly started to remove their games. Slowly all the games will disappear from shelves and gaming itself will be banned in Australia. It will become a lawless land once again where roving bands of petitioners take up the megaphone against each other. Papers and pens shall be their shields and swords and the losers shall be buried other thousands of complaints well the winners walk off with a cheap since of fake moral superiority.
Unsure if satire or didn't read the article?
If you have to ask I clearly didn't do a good job.
I'd say it was a bit of overkill
Such form of satire works only if you know person, otherwise (especially on internet) you have all rights to assume that said person is a moron.
Sad reality of internets :/

Can we please get FO4 already?

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I was probably going to purchase it if it went F2P. I'll probably just buy it on Steam or wherever it's being sold online if I want, but I might have gone to EB.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Zhukov said:
Fuckin' censorship man.

When will it end?
Hm... Let me check my notes, I think I wrote something down...

Here it is! Censorship is scheduled to end next Wednesday at 3:52 PM Pacific.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
RandV80 said:
Couldn't the game still require an up front purchase and just drop the subscription model?
That's what I'd like to see. I enjoyed Skyrim enough that I'd give ESO a try if they did that.

I don't mind paying up front for games, but am leery about paying for a month or more of playable time that I might not want or get to use. I want to play a game because I enjoy it, not because I feel obligated to. I dunno if Bethesda would pull in enough money to keep the servers running and updated though.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
"Don't you see it was for your benefit? I had to cut my legs off to make it easier to fit the spoons in!"

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
But ESO is doing fine guis! The community is strong guais! /sarcasm

I desperately want to love ESO, maybe if it goes F2P I'll give it another shot. But the game tries to be everything badly. It should've concentrated on it's awesome idea of huge open world PVP and siege stuff. But nah, we're an Elder Scrolls game so we need to do a really crappy solo mechanic.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
So, is Australia going to have its own "legendary flop-game landfill" too?

PS captcha: be serious now NEVER!!!

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I hope they pull the plug. It was an in-and-out bad idea, from start to its inevitable finish.

Even if it does go F2P, the only people who will check it out are the people who would have played if, if not for that thing called "durr common sense" (or too much money) that we seem to be programmed with.. so I don't know what's been accomplished here.

Aside from a great excuse not to make a Dark Souls MMO.

one squirrel

Aug 11, 2014
Zhukov said:
Fuckin' censorship man.

When will it end?
thaluikhain said:
I was going to make a censorship joke, but people beat me to it.

Mind you, mine would have been much funnier, but now I've decided not to tell anyone, cause it fits the theme.
Gotcha, gamergaters!

Ha, first you complain about games being pulled from stores based on fearmongering and lies!
Now you are saying nothing at a game being pulled from stores because it doesn't sell well!

Time to post a witty onliner to point out this ironic turn of events!