EB Games Australia Store Set Up Fake Drugs at GTA V Launch

bimon_1234567

Mar 15, 2012
We can confirm that the powdery substance was "sherbet", a type of fizzy candy, and at no point did the store attempt to give any of the fizzy candy away.
I find it hilarious that they deem it important to assure us that no one at the store tried to give away fizzy candy.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
"I'm going to video game retailer's midnight release to purchase a game filled with drugs, murdering, car theft, the penises of ugly men, other things considered bad by society. I'm clearly okay with all of this-

But if I see a drug reference while I'm buying it- that's the falkin' line."

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Yeah... that's a bad idea. Not everyone enters an EB Games for GTA, after all, and I'm sure they'd be happy to see drugs everywhere.
Why would you enter a midnight launch store opening for GTA V on a weekday if you're there to buy another game?

I mean I suppose it's possible, it just seems terribly inconvenient to choose a time in the middle of the night when you know there will likely be big lines.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Hagi said:
lacktheknack said:
Yeah... that's a bad idea. Not everyone enters an EB Games for GTA, after all, and I'm sure they'd be happy to see drugs everywhere.
Why would you enter a midnight launch store opening for GTA V on a weekday if you're there to buy another game?

I mean I suppose it's possible, it just seems terribly inconvenient to choose a time in the middle of the night when you know there will likely be big lines.
Yeah, I missed that part. :p

I've known some pretty insane parents, though...

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
I have no problems with props to show off game launches, but using fake drug props in a country that already has a problem with drugs of any kind in games seems a bit antagonistic. The advertising bonuses from this will most likely be minimal and the possible backlash could be much more hassle than it's worth.

Just don't see the point of the store doing this really.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Yeah, I missed that part. :p

I've known some pretty insane parents, though...
Probably true...

You've been working for 12 hours straight again, still no free-time during shopping hours and little Timmy just won't shut the hell up about this game he wants you to buy for him. But lo and behold! EB games is open at midnight! You'll skip whatever few precious hours of sleep you could have otherwise gotten and drive over to get little Timmy his game so you'll at least have a chance at some quiet during the rest of the week.

So you arrive at the shop and to your utter shock there's lines of Cocaine everywhere. Fake cocaine. None of the real stuff. Not even a real joint to be found.

I'd be pissed too.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Truthfully, this was a bad idea. The gaming industry is currently trying to seek legitimacy as a genuine form of art, and stunts like this just make us look childish; I know that sounds like "oh lets all be srs and boring", but theres a difference between being funny and clever at the same time, and YOLO. This feels more like the latter than the former.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
That's pretty funny. I do love it when clerks show some character rather than just say the same old drivel that their employers make them say to butter up a customer when they come in. "Hello sir, how can I help you sir, is there anything else you need sir".

I hope no one got fired, although that's probably a far cry from what did happen.

lacktheknack said:
It was the midnight launch of GTAV, I doubt anyone would have just strolled in for a leisurely look for games during the midnight launch of GTAV because 99% of games shops aren't usually open at midnight unless there's something big happening. Like one of the biggest midnight launches of the year.

Simalacrum said:
Truthfully, this was a bad idea. The gaming industry is currently trying to seek legitimacy as a genuine form of art, and stunts like this just make us look childish; I know that sounds like "oh lets all be serious and boring", but there's a difference between being funny and clever at the same time, and YOLO. This feels more like the latter than the former.
The gaming industry is only looking for legitimacy to make more money in the long run, and gamers like you are only looking for legitimacy to make yourself feel better about your hobby in my honest opinion.

And besides, if some people can't take a joke then I think they are the ones that need to mature a little. It's perfectly okay to joke around and have a laugh, because it doesn't make you immature.

Jun_Jun

Sep 21, 2009
I would love to know which store in Queensland this was, it looks suspiciously like the one I visit. (o_o)
OT- tbh I think it was a bit of a stupid mistake it wasn't very professional behaviour, I don't know what makes people think that if you're working in a games store in the retail industry that you're somehow entitled to behaving any differently (everyone in the dvd store I work in would be fired on the spot for trying something like this for the launch of a new season of Breaking Bad or soemthing similar). Also, I guess they kinda did do the right thing by asking everyone's ID before entering the store, but I'm afraid that this will be blown way out of proportion in Australian news if they catch a whiff of it( I can see it now 'Local gamestore offers drugs to families buying videogames'), and we're probably going to have all sorts of wild assumptions thrown about by the media for a couple of days until it settles down. As if it wasn't bad enough that a major new 'breakthough' into the investigation in that mass shooting in America was that the shooter enjoyed playing violent video games. :/

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Eh, it was a bit daft. But also pretty cool that they went to the effort to make the biggest launch of the year a bit more special.
Hopefully they don't get into too much trouble over some fun.

Edit:

bimon_1234567 said:
I find it hilarious that they deem it important to assure us that no one at the store tried to give away fizzy candy.
Okay John, put the candy everywhere. Pretend it's drugs.

But under no circumstances can anyone snort it, understand?

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Good on them for having some fun for what was a midnight release....

Although as some people have said, it's a shame they'll get in trouble for it...

It shows that at least SOME employees/managers were into it...

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
lacktheknack said:
They do at a midnight launch for GTA...

I think it's a funny marketing gimmick, not likely to offend many people who could have possibly seen it.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
This is Queensland. It's so fecking hot & muggy here that it slows your brain and dulls your thinking capabilities, making ideas like this seem good.
That said, this is Queensland, and we are still bogan state for the most part where things like this are considered hilarious. I'm guessing the person who complained was an import, likely from NSW or Victoria, who are states full of sooks and whingers.

Shame on EB for apologising.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Lilani said:
And this is the same country that took so long to get an R18+ rating, and still at times refuses to use it keeping "violent" games like SR4 from easily entering its borders? I think it's cool and all, actually reminds me of a senior project I saw an art student do at my university, but I think it's just incredible this came from Australia given all the censorship we hear about. Guess it just goes to show how different the community is from the politicians, lol.
The censorship is blown out of proportion tbh, as GTAV shows it's not drugs that were the issue but rather the way they were being portrayed in SR4 apparently. Classification =/= censorship. It is legal to buy and import/own the unedited version, which I will be doing for my PS3 someday (got aussie PC version on release). It's just that stores in Australia cannot sell them. Censorship would make owning a copy illegal.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
showing fake drungs inside a game - gets you banned in australia.
having fake drugs lieing around the store where said game should be sold - totally okay.

because fake drugs in game is worse than fake drugs in real life.

RicoADF said:
Classification =/= censorship.
If classification is enforced by law, for example a game classification banning a game, then classificantion = censorship.
classification is a guide, and thats where it should stay. not be enforced.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Just imagine how awkward it would have been if someone had been more interested in the coke than the GTA:V...

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Pretty cool. Maybe not all that clever, but it's cool when people add little touches like this.