eBay Bans Spells, Potions, and Curses

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Aw man, "Magic object unwittingly brought through EBay" was one of my favourite plot devices! It's almost like these people hate the art of storytelling! D=

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
mfw a werewolf suddenly appears in American suburbia

I'm not entirely sure about the rationale behind the ban, but it's eBay's rules.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
lacktheknack said:

I'm not entirely sure about the rationale behind the ban, but it's eBay's rules.
Probably to keep the...... reality challenged from giving money to people for bottled swamp water, or trampled plants, or mud or whatever.

DAMNIT!

Now where am I going to unload all my compost?!

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
I think that eBay is simply trying to prevent people from being defrauded from their service, by preventing sales which gives the buyer nothing tangible except for the promise that a "spell" will be performed on the their behalf. I think they just view it as sketchy is all. However, people selling this bullshit are required to post the following disclaimer:

By law I am required to state that all spells and paranormal objects are sold for "entertainment purposes" only. You must be 18 or older to purchase. I am not liable for any paranormal effects that may or may not happen. This purchase is not a substitute for legal, financial, medical or psychiatric help. You agree to these terms and understand them when making your purchase.

So, I suppose that by warning buyers that they could just throwing their money away it could be considered acceptable. Also, here's something sort of creepy about that "love trap" thing. This is from the eBay page:

"If you want someone that is very elusive. Distant. Someone who seems impossible for you. A person who you believe would never notice you, never want you, never pay attention to you, I have the perfect spell. That poor sucker will never know what hit em! They will be confused at first, feeling odd, different...then they will WANT YOU BIG TIME!"

Okay, is it just me or is this basically a date rape spell. I mean, if this did actually work it'd be a wee bit unethical, don't you think?
Mythrandia said:
By the way I don't live in California, nobody lives in Californa, because they were all deported under Welfare and Institutions Code 5150, and now California is a wasteland, full of empty ghosts, and also did you know that there was more linguistic diversity in the Sierra Nevada Mountains than there was in the entire proto indo european tradition?
Um, I live in a certain state on the West coast whose name starts with a "C". So, I guess I'm just an ethereal specter, wandering a desolate plain. Well, at least I don't have to dress up for Halloween. Wooooooooo. (That's my spooky voice.)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Innegativeion said:
lacktheknack said:

Probably to keep the...... reality challenged from giving money to people for bottled swamp water, or trampled plants, or mud or whatever.

DAMNIT!

Apparently, this site's opinion on whether or not to protect the dumb varies from day to day.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Innegativeion said:
lacktheknack said:

DAMNIT!

Apparently, this site's opinion on whether or not to protect the dumb varies from day to day.
Whelp, the people expressing opinions on this site vary from day to day :>

I'm in agreement with ebay here. I never like to see assholes profiting from being assholes.

Timnoldzim

May 19, 2012
Awwww! But I was just about to put up my Great-Grandpa's coffin! There's still 142 years left on its curse, y'know.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My basic thought on the subject is that Ebay is in the wrong. If someone sells services and items like this, and people buy it, there is nothing to complain about, especially if those people are happy with the results. Those who are not, well that's the issue when you buy a service or non-returnable/refundable item in general.

Let me put it this way, spellcasting and such can be fun, even for those who don't believe in it, there is a reason why it thrives at fairs and such, and you'll find little new age shops and such selling services here and there, and people doing this kind of thing at fairs. At the very worst you can say hiring a psychic to do a reading is for the entertainment value. Ditto for buying a ring or something with a story behind it you find interesting. On a lot of levels that's what your seeing going on in E-bay. Buying a reading or spell from someone, is no worse than walking into a New Age/Occult shop and buying one there.

The only thing that surprises me about some of this is that I'd think part of the business would be the people doing this to have a webcam and to produce a video (even as just a file) of them doing the spell or whatever.

Also for the record, if the person buying believes it worked (even as a placebo) so much the better. I mean if your werewolf transformation spell give you the confidence to improve yourself, and your happy with it, who cares if it was real or not assuming you believe it was and it for all intents and purposes works?

Ebay DOES need to police scammers and such, but I think they have been getting kind of ridiculous in some of their policies, and too heavily regulated by external forces (which is another discussion entirely). Maybe it's just me, but this seems like an attack on novelty businesses and services.

Speaking for myself, it would be great if magic existed, but I don't think there are easy answers to people's problems, if there were, everyone would use them, and no offense those with this power wouldn't have been overrun by whatever group they blame (Christians, Romans, Nth Dimensional Insects that later disappeared). That said it can be a lot of fun, I even got myself a set of Tarot Cards on a whim, though I haven't yet put the time into learning how to use them. Leave the people who do this kind of thing alone, there is nothing wrong with a bit of adult make believe, and if that's a fun way for someone to spend money, let them do it.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
I am a Christian. With that said, I am sad at the squashing of religious liberties by Ebay. It is wrong.

DVS BSTrD said:
Spineless whores just trying to appease the Evangelicals.
A POX! A POX UPPON YOUR auction HOUSE!
I do not think that Ebay is working with Evangelicals (in this case). I honestly think that, the believe, that the spells are of questionable effect, and THAT is why they are being banned.

I am of the opinion that IF the person selling them is doing so in good faith that the spells or magic works believes that the magic will work, then they should be allowed to sell to other people who also believe the same.

PS: Except the "Love trap spells", no one should be allowed too force others too fall in love with you, and should be banned as a danger too society.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mythrandia said:
lacktheknack said:
Innegativeion said:
lacktheknack said:

DAMNIT!

As it should, to account for variable change, as each member of the community makes decisons on margin to modify their ranked order series of preferences to account for variable change.

It took me a while, but a more readable version of your post is as follows:

"Which is good, because it accounts for things changing from day to day. People make small changes to their preference for lots of little reasons."

I'd normally respond with something about this community just being really contrarian, but then you'd respond with another post utterly murdering the idea of "readable English". It's not about the words you use, it's about whether or not your point gets across.

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
Mythrandia said:
~Long but informative response~
I didn't assume it would actually work, I just said I admire them for trying to have standards.

Also I learned something about California today!