eBay User Wants $100,000 for Rare Pokemon Card

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Damn. The most valuable card I own is the Magic the Gathering "Vampiric Tutor", from the original visions set. Priced at 31$.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
$100,000? Holy hell, that's enough to buy a fleet of used Escalades. Even if he sells it for only $50,000, he's still got one hell of a nest egg.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Dude, just take the $47,000! I could live off that for AGES.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
I can understand how things like this can reach ridiculous prices through nostalgia (and this price is ridiculous). But for something that is reasonably current? This will be something that will only devalue. Nostalgia increases prices as people want to relive childhood memories. But with only six people in the world ever having a memory of owning this the chances of this becoming more valuable... well it's going to be like beanie babies. Scan it then take the money and run.

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
Vivi22 said:
Exterminas said:
Vivi22 said:
There is something deeply wrong with the people who pay this much for cards, regardless of rarity.
How so? We accept people paying multiple times that amount to buy a car that has no further use than a car that costs a tenth of that sum. There is nothing wrong with people spending their money on whatever they enjoy.
A car actually has it's uses though. And a more expensive car can actually be damn fun to drive, better built, etc. But this is a card. A card for a card game. The only thing that separates it from other Pokemon cards is that there are six of them.

Now, I could see paying a bit of a premium for a rare, collector's item card. I don't have a problem with the inherent concept. But let's keep in mind that the person who does pay for this, is paying enough money to buy a decent mobile home or a very nice car, and all this will ever do is sit in a display case or something like that. Hell, it will never even be held outside of that card sleeve. No matter which way you slice it, this is people paying an obscene amount of money for something that will literally never do anything except exist under glass.
Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, before I spend money on stuff I like to ask myself "How useful will this item be in a zombie apocalypse (assuming Money is still worth money)", so in the instance of a car, yeah, hella useful, a piece of pretty cardboard with a picture printed on it? not useful

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
This reminds me I have a shiny Articuno sitting in the roofspace somewhere.

Apparently they sell on Ebay for as much as $1.55 WOHOO! I could buy a whole chocolate bar for that!

Mr.Wizard

Apr 22, 2010
Is it just me or could you just use the 100 grand to create a card that is functionally identical to the real thing? I mean come on, it's fairly standard card stock.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Personally I dont think a cards worth that much but i can see the appeal for those that think it is. To the people saying its crazy, maybe, but to them its not. I personally think its insane to pay for a car as much as collectors do when you can get a cheap (by comparison) economy car and spend less int he long run for what's generally the same thing. If someone wnats to spend that much that's their prerogative, if they get enjoyment out of it all the better.

Hero in a half shell said:

Apparently they sell on Ebay for as much as $1.55 WOHOO! I could buy a whole chocolate bar for that!
Well, take out taxes first.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
GamemasterAnthony said:
...and just when we thought people went nuts over the holographic Charizard card from the first set!
...Wait is that a rare card? ... I... think I have that card. Hun... Guess I can find out when and if I can dig out my old batch of cards in storage.

*one quick google later*
HOLY SMOKES. That IS a costly card, more incentive to find it now.

Samadi

Apr 16, 2012
Welcome to the 21st Century; Where you can always find someone with more money then brains.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:

Pretty sure I have a holographic Yu-Gi-Oh card that sells for something like six or seven pounds. I don't even play Yugioh, I never really did. I should sell it, actually...provided it's still worth that much.

I dug it up and it is an Ultimate Rare Battle Fader. Worth quiite a bit, not to brag. £15. Such pride! If I remember the game correctly, not a bad card, either!

EDIT: Waaiida minute! Nope. This is certainly not worth £15. This is merely ultra rare. Curses. I'm such a noob.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Mr.Wizard said:
Is it just me or could you just use the 100 grand to create a card that is functionally identical to the real thing? I mean come on, it's fairly standard card stock.
ya gotta remember. car collectors rarely drive the cars they collect. they use them as show and tell most of the time. when they are driven, it is to take them to be shown off to other collectors. the purpose of collecting is to show off or scratch the 'completionist' itch. so a very rare card that is in demand is perfect for showing off.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Exterminas said:
Vivi22 said:
There is something deeply wrong with the people who pay this much for cards, regardless of rarity.
How so? We accept people paying multiple times that amount to buy a car that has no further use than a car that costs a tenth of that sum. There is nothing wrong with people spending their money on whatever they enjoy.
Do we? because i dont. If you are buying a car and paying 10 times the amount you are wasting your money, and if you are wasting your money you are a bad person accirding to my personal beliefs.