Ebert Re-Emphasizes That Games Will Never Be Art

cannibalnana

Jan 30, 2010
Burst6 said:
Who is this Ebert guy anyways, And why should i care what he thinks? Isnt he the guy that gives movies 2 thumbs up with his friend roeper? I dont even like movies, i cant stand to sit around and just watch unless I'm laughing.

If Wikipedia is right, "Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way to affect the senses or emotions". I'm going to go with the website that has helped me for years, not some "famous" man i never heard of outside of movie commercials for his thumbs.
but i could edit that and say video games are not art. your trust in wikipedia misleads you, friend. also, as about 500 other people must have said, ebert is a film critic. who cares what he thinks? and who cares if video games are not art? they're video games, don't be so smug. play the damn game, move on. yeah, innovative things! intriguing plot points! these all go into a movie too. if bioshock had been a film before a game, people would have left the theater dazed and bemused by the imminent awesome they had just witnessed.

tl;dr - ebert, smug videogamers, all critics can eat a dick. its called an opinion.

gamepopper101

Aug 12, 2009
The only time I remember Roger Ebert saying he played video games was when he admitted to beating the 1st Level of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES). That game was definately not a piece of art.

I don't get why Ebert treats every other form of art as experiances and games not. Clearly games are an experiance, but what makes it better than other forms of art is that you are in control.

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
hopeneverdies said:
So by his definition, is Dwarf Fortress not a game?

Tom's right, there are plenty of indie games that are scattered around the Internet that could be considered art like Don't Look Back. But it's all subjective I guess.
I <3 don't look back. Best flash game of all time IMO.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Yahtzee said:
[HEADING=1]Bull[/HEADING][sub]What[/sub]
[HEADING=1]Fucking[/HEADING][sub]Arbitrary[/sub]
[HEADING=1]Shit[/HEADING][sub]Nonsense[/sub]
Okay, maybe it's not that bad, but he's still wrong. People have already stated why.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
He also asks: "Why are gamers so intensely concerned, anyway, that games be defined as art?

Source: Roger Ebert's Blog [http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/video_games_can_never_be_art.html]

Because gamers in general, like me, want to convince short-sighted and "politically correct" people that we gamers aren't monsters or retarded children, like this guy: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.188621-14-Year-Old-Kills-Father-for-Taking-Keyboard-Away?page=1.

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Ebert Re-Emphasizes That Games Will Never Be Art

Are videogames art or not? Roger Ebert still says no.
I am absolutely outraged!

Not at the close-mindedness, or the hypocrisy, I am outraged at the fact that people and media sites are still giving this sort of shit coverage. (I skipped the entire article and link, and I bet you what follows is still just as accurate as it would have been otherwise)

Honest to god, what role does Ebert play in the video game industry? None.
What is his major contribution to the video game industry? None.

It's fascinating to hear someone who has stated from the outset that they have no support for video games reiterate their opinion on video games. It's right up there with figuring out the plot to every horror movie ever made: A lot of people die. It doesn't matter that it happens different ways, to different numbers of people, you know they're going to die.

So when you tell me that a self proclaimed video games pundit made a statement in regards to video games, I really hope you're not trying to surprise me and imply that everyone's going to be OK and share a round of cookies and ice cream. I do hope that you're just trying to boost someone's hit counter. I'll still lose respect for you, but at least you made a bit of money.

confessor

Aug 2, 2009
Ebert, that socially inept, over opinionated...thing?
He always kind of struck me as one who would play video games...
A video game has to create an entire world that needs to be fascinating for long periods of time...the level of immersion required in video games is far superior to the production line Hollywood messes that are produced today.
That first line may be a bit strong, but when you've played some of the truely amazing games out there that cross emotions, an epic story line and gameplay together...that is art.

RadicalDreamer90

May 11, 2009
LMAO...oh gawd. I'd love to see him at an Art College. I'm a Game Design major, and as much as he may try and criticize games as not being art, he's using Cinema as a standing point for that comparison, and Video Games and Movies are worlds apart.

To add more than a spark to my argument I'll run this by you. How many arts are actually a part of gaming in the 8th generation? Can only think of a few? I'll break it down. Almost every mainstream form of art is in Game development.

Sound Designers and SFX majors work on musical scores and effects to help raise immersion and give the game a sense of depth early on.

Music is one of the oldest arts on the planet

Concept Artists, Landscape Artists, and Animators, draw, story board, and render characters and environments within the games universe.

Drawing is one of the oldest and most predominant arts on the planet.

Cinematographers/Videographers work on Pre-rendered cut-scenes, and a plethora of the non playable visual aspect of games.

Cinema is the last big hit that became an art within this century.

So tell me, what do you think Video games are? They are the exact same concept as Film in a different direction. Film isn't just captured footage, there is an art to putting together scenes,music and effects to create a story, and game design has done that but taken it to another level. Not only do games convey a narrative, effects, music, arts like animation and drawing, but they make Story telling Interactive, which is what Film will never be able to fully do. I believe Ebert probably realized that after stating games wouldn't be art before. Games are incorporating the arts more so every generation then the last, so how can you tell me a medium, built on the oldest arts in the world isn't an art itself?

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Oh my god...
that video...those kids...they go to my school...

and, as a matter of fact, they are more obnoxious and irritating than their music video would imply.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
I wonder if I can express the fact that I think that people dictating what is and isn't art is terribly pretentious without getting suspended again.

I have to go with Penny Arcade on this one:

Also, do we win something if we defeat him? Does he drop a good helm? Because I can't for the life of me figure out why we give a shit what that creature says. He doesn't operate under some divine shroud that lets him determine what is or is not valid culture. He cannot rob you, retroactively, of wholly valid experiences; he cannot transform them into worthless things.
Full thing: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/4/21/

hellsop

Feb 28, 2009
x434343 said:
I define art as a piece of non-essential work (ie, something you spend time on but people have clearly lived without before electricity, canvas, etc. Music, paint, etc are not vital to living, despite their ingraination into all cultures) that has the effect of challenging the human mind in matters of social, political, cultural, or philosophical state. In English, that means it's something that makes people think but isn't vital to life.
That's very close to what many, many seem to use as a worthwhile definition of "Art". It is that work put into a thing beyond its function. Making a wheel with spokes isn't art if you need it to be light or to save material. Polishing the spokes is probably Art.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
hellsop said:
x434343 said:
I define art as a piece of non-essential work (ie, something you spend time on but people have clearly lived without before electricity, canvas, etc. Music, paint, etc are not vital to living, despite their ingraination into all cultures) that has the effect of challenging the human mind in matters of social, political, cultural, or philosophical state. In English, that means it's something that makes people think but isn't vital to life.
That's very close to what many, many seem to use as a worthwhile definition of "Art". It is that work put into a thing beyond its function. Making a wheel with spokes isn't art if you need it to be light or to save material. Polishing the spokes is probably Art.
Is that gewd or bad? If it's good then yay.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
He's just so wrong and ignorant......I don't even know what to say. You can't even win some games....also, farting into a cup is art. This website is a work or art. Murdering people is art. Video games.......they're the god of art. They are all forms of art combined- pictures+video, music, dialog+story. They can be ANYTHING......ANYTHING. In the same way a painting or movie can create a world, a video game can do it infinitely times better- end of story.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Electrogecko said:
He's just so wrong and ignorant......I don't even know what to say. You can't even win some games....also, farting into a cup is art. This website is a work or art. Murdering people is art. Video games.......they're the god of art. They are all forms of art combined- pictures+video, music, dialog+story. They can be ANYTHING......ANYTHING. In the same way a painting or movie can create a world, a video game can do it infinitely times better- end of story.
This story is 4 months old...

Not to mention that the Game Overthinker as well as Ebert himself did state their opinions on the matter rather eloquently. Ebert already said he has a bias towards cinema.

Why bring up this to belligerently defend the art of gaming if he has already agreed to disagree?

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I'm not American so i don't know why Roger whatchamaface's opinion is regarded any higher than the OTHER 5.8 Billion people who have a derogatory opinion about video games without actually ever having touched one.