Echo Bazaar Introduces Devious and Dastardly Pets

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Echo Bazaar Introduces Devious and Dastardly Pets

The award-winning browser game is getting an overhaul and a few new friendly faces.

Greetings, delicious friends! Loyal players of Echo Bazaar, the Victorian-era browser game, will be excited to hear that Failbetter Games is introducing 12 new pets to Fallen London, a world already awash with sulky bats, lucky weasels, fairly tame spiders and similarly offbeat English cuteness.

The new pets, which include a Hungover Terrier and a Subtle Mole, will land this week, and is part of a much wider overhaul of the entire game. The upcoming update includes a new interface, social cliques to join and betray, and a crafting system that conceals sparkly nuggets of story.

To celebrate, Failbetter has announced a "Festival of Endless Actions", which in practice means it's removed the daily turn limit cap.

[gallery=638]

Part choose-your-own-adventure, part free-to-play social game, part novel, and part squid, Echo Bazaar is a favorite of ours here at The Escapist. The writing is particularly engaging, and though you'll need either a Facebook or Twitter account to play, it's not obnoxious about notifying your friends whenever you do anything. If you're interested for a unique browser game experience, you can check out Echo Bazaar here. [http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com]

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
WMDogma said:
fairly tame spiders and similarly offbeat English cuteness.
I didn't realize that spiders that rip the eyeballs out of people fell under "cute".

WMDogma said:
The new pets, which include a Hungover Terrier and a Subtle Mole, will land this week, and is part of a much wider overhaul of the entire game. The upcoming update includes a new interface, social cliques to join and betray, and a crafting system that conceals sparkly nuggets of story.

To celebrate, Failbetter has announced a "Festival of Endless Actions", which in practice means it's removed the daily turn limit cap.
Don't I know it. Can't talk, too busy grinding.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Part Squid, eh? I could really get into this.
One of my characters is part squid. And is living in some semblance of wedded bliss with something that is more squid. People don't like that.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Such a shame they still require a twitter or Facebook account. Oh well I guess I'll just have to cope.

Dec 14, 2009
I want to get back into this game, but I want to start a new character and I can't see any option to do that.

E-mailed support to see what's what.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Blunderboy said:
Such a shame they still require a twitter or Facebook account. Oh well I guess I'll just have to cope.
Seconded. This game looks so fascinating. But not if I'm forced to join and hand over keys to intrusive social networks in order to play. But that's okay, they can do whatever they want. I have other games I can play instead.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Blunderboy said:
Personally I loathe Twitter but I must praise their distinct lack of personal info required for an account.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Sabrestar said:
Blunderboy said:
Seconded. This game looks so fascinating. But not if I'm forced to join and hand over keys to intrusive social networks in order to play. But that's okay, they can do whatever they want. I have other games I can play instead.
You could just make a sockpuppet Twitter account and use it for nothing but Echo Bazaar.

Feb 13, 2008
Azuaron said:
Sabrestar said:
Blunderboy said:
You could just make a sockpuppet Twitter account and use it for nothing but Echo Bazaar.
There are a number of people who do that. And Zerootofallevil might be looking for a young person to carry mushrooms...

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Azuaron said:
Sabrestar said:
Blunderboy said:
That is what I did, now I use the account.

There's the escapist group for the game if you need help find people to assist you.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Echo-Bazaar