Ecology of Pokemon

zachatree

Oct 1, 2008
Recently I have been discussing with a good friend the ecology of the land of Pokemon. What do they eat? Do they eat other Pokemon? When they eat a steak is it a Miltank? So discuss! Enlighten me!

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Well, the cartoon shows that they have some sort of kibble-esque food available. What it's made out of is beyond me.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I think they have normal animals as well as Pokemon. The humans would eat mostly regular animals and i think all of the Pokemon are herbivores.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
They do refer to eating some pokémon in the Anime, so yes , I assume they do eat pokémon.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Well, the cartoon shows that they have some sort of kibble-esque food available. What it's made out of is beyond me.
It's made out of people! Where do you think the other two Pallet Town trainers went, eh?

squidbuddy99

Jun 29, 2009
The Pokedexes in the games talk about 'prey' and 'defenseive mechanisms' but I have yet to see a single one of these put to use. I know the games' producers don't want to put reality into these games, but it would actually be an improvement to see how these creatures live.

I would also like to know how they reproduce. Why do all Pokemon, even the ones that are clearly mammals, lay eggs? How come none of the Pokemon have any clear method of reproduction? Or a rectum, for that matter? Do they even poop?

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
AvsJoe said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
It's made out of people! Where do you think the other two Pallet Town trainers went, eh?
The fact that Brock was eating it in one episode frightens me now.

MasterSteef

Mar 3, 2010
I would think so, because in the descriptions for a lot of the meaner looking pokemon such as "Garchomp", it talks about his wings helping him catch "prey". And by that I'd assume they mean other pokemon, since there don't seem to be any normal animals in any of the regions.

...and the Miltank steak question, yikes. Could you imagine a Miltank Slaughterhouse where employee's routinely shoot 4 foot tall pink cows in the head with a bolt gun? Also, how many steaks could you even get out of something that is only 4 feet tall?

...I'm thinking to much into this, clearly... :)

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
*remembers a fanfiction on this*

Let me find it.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5300280/1/The_Natural_History_of_Pokemon

Enjoy.

Mr.Black

Oct 27, 2009
It's a cartoon about animals that are stored in tiny balls. Realism isn't a strong point and whatever they eat is whatever your imagination brings up. Does it really matter when realism isn't important?

crewman_number_6

Aug 15, 2009
Okay, in Ruby and Saphire (or was it Dimand and Pearl?) There is a town where their is a giant library, and it says in one of the books that ancient people ate magicarp, so yes they do.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
AvsJoe said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
The fact that Brock was eating it in one episode frightens me now.
Brock always frightens me.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
It's a cartoon/video game and you're looking into it too much.
EDIT: AKA there is no answer.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I remember in one episode at a banquet they had lobster and fish being served.

Also in Arceus and the Jewel of Life, the people of the past refer to Pokemon as 'magical creatures'. For them to be deemed magical creatures, there must be normal, non-magical creatures, otherwise they would just call the Pokemon creatures.

And yes I know that I should get a life.

Fenreil

Mar 14, 2010
Okay, ignoring the anime entirely, (because it's retarded) there is clear evidence that pokemon eat other pokemon. Take the red/blue version pokedex entry of ekans: "Moves silently and stealthily. Eats the eggs of birds, such as Pidgey and Spearow, whole. Humans also probably eat pokemon.

As for pokemon reproduction, I believe that there are methods other than egg laying. As a matter of fact, it is said in-game that nobody has actually witnessed a pokemon laying an egg, and that it has not even been proven that pokemon lay eggs.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Fenreil said:
Take the red/blue version pokedex entry of ekans: "Moves silently and stealthily. Eats the eggs of birds, such as Pidgey and Spearow, whole.
There has been a shift away from that in the more recent generations. You hardly ever see references to pedators or prey.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Pokemon #152 252 387 494 One that isn't in the new game.

The Pokedex entries often refer to other Pokemon being eaten.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Sunshine and rainbow farts. :D

Their 'donuts' seem to be made of rice or something, I'm not sure.