Eddie Murphy Returns to Beverly Hills Cop Series

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
If it's good, good. If it's bad, oh well. At least Eddie's doing something besides playing a CGI donkey.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
marurder said:
But he isn't funny anymore...
I think that's the "thing." He's not "funny," he's desperate. An revitalizing a property with brand recognition is probably the only way he will get work in Hollywood these days. Producers are banking on their being enough people that liked the original that will go see this. Of course, it will likely be PG-13. Cuz you know..."Rated-R" doesn't sell. I'm also wondering what changes will be made to appeal to the Asian markets.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
Just like Mrs. Doubtfire, this seems like it's 15 years too late. Can't they just put Eddie Murphy in a movie that doesn't rely on nostalgia, fat suit tech, little alien Eddie Murphys piloting a big Eddie Murphy, or a modest comedy heist movie with him in a supporting role that was overhyped. Probably not, now that I think about it.

At this rate, just get James Earl Jones in lion fur and Arsenio Hall on board and make Coming to America 2: Saving McDowwel's.
I was thinking it would either be "Coming to America 2: Coming back to Africa," or "The Golden Child 2: The Golden Goose."

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
tdylan said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
Just like Mrs. Doubtfire, this seems like it's 15 years too late. Can't they just put Eddie Murphy in a movie that doesn't rely on nostalgia, fat suit tech, little alien Eddie Murphys piloting a big Eddie Murphy, or a modest comedy heist movie with him in a supporting role that was overhyped. Probably not, now that I think about it.

At this rate, just get James Earl Jones in lion fur and Arsenio Hall on board and make Coming to America 2: Saving McDowwel's.
I was thinking it would either be "Coming to America 2: Coming back to Africa," or "The Golden Child 2: The Golden Goose."
Stop!!! You are giving them more ideas dammit.

OT: Eddie is way too old to carry this character it would actually be better to try a reboot with someone else.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Back in the 80's Eddy Murphy was charming and witty. Now he occasionally gets an embarrassed (pity) chuckle when he puts on a fat suit and farts.

Back in the 80's and into the 90's Beverly Hills was the status symbol. Films like Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Beverly Hills Cop, Pretty Woman, even Clueless typified the zeitgeist by showing Beverly Hills as an idealized locale for the financially successful. Today, it's where one of the seasons of Real Housewives was set.

At least Murphy and Rattner's careers cannot really sink any lower at this point.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
You know what? I'll probably watch this one. In fact, I genuinely believe that it might be good.

With that said, here's the best scene from the old movies (that kid's laugh gets me every time).

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
It would be nice if they made a third beverly hills cop movie, yes. (The one that carries that title now has some characters with the same names but is definitely not a beverly hill's cop movie..)