EDGE of Asshattery

Magnumopai

Apr 27, 2009
I hope mr.Langdell falls into a situation where he is sodomized by various land animals with falices that exceed the length of 2 feet. >:I

Magnumopai

Apr 27, 2009
I apologize for that last comment...*sigh* what can you do... Money is a god and its gospel is strong.

SpaceGhost2K

Jul 24, 2009
theklng said:
SpaceGhost2K said:
theklng said:
Sorry man. We're gonna have to just agree to disagree. I see his point, I think it's a valid point, and while his company might not be representative of all companies, he doesn't RUN all companies so he can hardly be held accountable for others.

This thread was turning into a show about you and me, so I'm dropping it.
feel free to pm me with your reply if you feel uncomfortable posting here.
Not uncomfortable. I just think we said what we wanted to say and were monopolizing the thread... not to mention the Capps issue is not the Langdell issue. People who have a problem with Capps have some method of recourse. People who have a problem with Langdell are just plain over a barrel.

bittman

Sep 11, 2008
Tim Langdell is the best thing to happen to the games industry since Jack Thompson. But unfortunately Mr Thompson has fallen from the limelight, but we're missing someone to blame so perhaps he'll take up the mantle of lawsuits and games.

Anyway, what's a good industry without any drama? Thanks for supplying it, there hasn't been an excessively graphical game for the media to bash for some time.

Oh, and thanks for the article. Amusingly infuriating.

DazedAndConfused

Jul 21, 2009
Technically, does that mean he can claim Squeenix is doing the same thing by calling the FFIV ninja Edge?
If he can do that, I'm gonna copyright "E" and sue him for using something I copyrighted.

The Escapist Forums: Where the world's idiocy is gathered and ridiculed on a daily basis.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
As I'm sure more than one person has already mentioned in this thread... it astounds me how someone has been allowed to get away with this without being either thrown in prison, or beaten within an inch (or more) of this life.

This reminds me of the whole Warner Music Group thing, where in Warner somehow suddenly and magically owns you, your soul, your music, and your firstborn if you sign a contract with them. Anyone remember the bullshit they and Google caused the poor unsuspecting users of YouTube early this year? I doubt that's been taken care of yet either...

It really is an outright crime, and just further proof that the copyright and trademark industry are not, in fact, going down the shitter but have been there for quite some time.. enough that they've decorated and made it feel quite comfortable.

Seriously, I'm being one-hundred-perfect honest here. The person who made the game Edge should be perfectly within his right to tel Tim Langdell to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. It's a word, used in passing for years and year (even before Langdell got his grubby hands on it). It shouldn't be logically possible for him to somehow get control of absolutely every single use of the word Edge. Not only that, but he is showing his true colours by not going after EA for Mirror's Edge, as Shamus so correctly pointed out.

Food For Thought: How many people here know that the "Happy Birthday" song is also owned by Warner Music Group? According to them, if you sing it, you apparently owe them quite a lot of money. Anyone else see a problem with that? Anyone else see a strong resemblence to the situation in this thread?

SpaceGhost2K

Jul 24, 2009
Hiroshi Mishima said:
As I'm sure more than one person has already mentioned in this thread... it astounds me how someone has been allowed to get away with this without being either thrown in prison, or beaten within an inch (or more) of this life.

This reminds me of the whole Warner Music Group thing, where in Warner somehow suddenly and magically owns you, your soul, your music, and your firstborn if you sign a contract with them. Anyone remember the bullshit they and Google caused the poor unsuspecting users of YouTube early this year? I doubt that's been taken care of yet either...

It really is an outright crime, and just further proof that the copyright and trademark industry are not, in fact, going down the shitter but have been there for quite some time.. enough that they've decorated and made it feel quite comfortable.

Seriously, I'm being one-hundred-perfect honest here. The person who made the game Edge should be perfectly within his right to tel Tim Langdell to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. It's a word, used in passing for years and year (even before Langdell got his grubby hands on it). It shouldn't be logically possible for him to somehow get control of absolutely every single use of the word Edge. Not only that, but he is showing his true colours by not going after EA for Mirror's Edge, as Shamus so correctly pointed out.

Food For Thought: How many people here know that the "Happy Birthday" song is also owned by Warner Music Group? According to them, if you sing it, you apparently owe them quite a lot of money. Anyone else see a problem with that? Anyone else see a strong resemblence to the situation in this thread?
The "Happy Birthday" song issue is a lot more complicated than that.

zepik

Mar 4, 2009
am I the only one that feels like making a small indy game and naming it Edge Edge Edgy Edge Edge?

Darenus

Apr 10, 2008
Ah what wonderful humans run our overly complex little looneyhouse that we call "earth"?

Yea I'm afraid I can't say much else here that isn't already in the process of being thought up or has been planned already, but really... does anyone know where these forums are where they are trying to stop Langdel's infuriatingly BS attempt of GRADE AAA CYBER-BULLYING? GET THE JUDGE FROM THE UK HERE!

Raurik

Jun 12, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
Susan Arendt said:
Hey, hey, let's stop wishing physical harm on the guy, ok? Karma, people, karma.
karma is bullshit, just take a look at most of those greedy Roman nobles from the bronze-dark ages.

Some of them ended up as the richest men in the world simply by behaving like total shitheads.

There was this one guy for example that made millions from creating his own fire department to put down fires from other people's property's, but unlike most fire departments who just get over there and put fires down to safe people's property's he actually demanded that the people owning the property's on fire sold him there property that was one fire for small sums of money and once they had done so he then put down the fires himself and then sold the property again for huge profits making him according to wikipedia on of the top 10 richest men in history! Karma my ass!

That guy will probably get away with this this just like the rest of the greedy corporate fucks.

EDIT: Wait, according to wikipedia that say guy was later taken by his enemy's in Parthia and his own silver was melted and forced down into his throat. Perhaps if we are lucky someone will do the same thing to this bastards only with coins rather then silver.
That's quite possibly the most random interpretation of these events yet!
sweet....

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
hopeneverdies said:
Xombee said:
Is "Professional Troll" on this guy's resume? You'd think someone with common sense who flips through these complaints would go, "Yeah... this guy is a parasite. Fuck his claim."
Professional Troll huh? What say we show him the "Banhammer"?

Annnnnnnyway, this guy is pretty much a clear cut case why I really don't like the justice system. Whoever has the better lawyer wins. We have some rich guy with very few games to his name, but plenty of lawsuits vs. an indie developer who is practically broke. Rich guy buys the better lawyer and the court provides a much less experienced one for the defense. And it's not like Apple is being very helpful.

And of course he goes for the little guy instead of taking on the giant EA despite using trademarked material. The school bully metaphor is exactly what it is.
I know this is all over now and all that, but I'd just like to point out, that in a law suit, in most countries, over copyright/trademarks the fact he isn't going after EA and other big companies helps out the defence, you need to maintain your copyright/trademark in order to keep it, by only going after small fish and not the big ones he cuts his own throat.