Edge of Tomorrow Bombed at the Box Office... So Warner Bros Renamed It (Again)

harpere

May 20, 2014
Edge of Tomorrow Bombed at the Box Office... So Warner Bros Renamed It (Again)

It seems a bit late in Edge of Tomorrow's lifecycle for a title change to fix things, but as a big box office flop the newly-named Live Die Repeat can't do much worse.

Remember lost out to both The Fault Is in Our Stars and Maleficent at the American box office [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9326-Edge-of-Tomorrow-Tom-Cruise-Is-Cool-Again], premiering in third place.

That kind of crushing defeat is probably why when Warner Bros. released Edge of Tomorrow on home video, they stopped calling it Edge of Tomorrow. The new name? Live Die Repeat, which also happens to be a pretty accurate plot summary. This is actually the second time the movie's name has changed as the original title was All You Need Is Kill, which sounds more exciting than either of its replacements. Is it too late for Warner Bros. to get its act together on this one? Probably. But it's cute that the company keeps trying.

Still, if you're looking to pick up this many-named movie, which releases on October 7th, you may find some retailers calling it by different names -- iTunes lists it as Live Die Repeat [http://www.amazon.com/Tomorrow-Blu-ray-Digital-UltraViolet-Combo/dp/B00K2CHWOI/] with updated artwork reflecting the title change. If you're having trouble tracking it down, you could just ask the clerk for "that sci-fi Tom Cruise movie," which is probably equally descriptive.

Source: io9 [http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Did-Warner-Bros-Change-Edge-Tomorrow-Title-Again-66774.html]

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
They'd have more luck recasting the lead instead of renaming the title.

I don't watch Tom Cruise stuff anymore.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Oh man, I completely forgot about this movie. I wanted to see it too, because it sounds like they actually did it right: Lots of action and fighting, more than what we just see in the trailer, which is a common crime nowadays to me.

Good to know about the name change. I thought, reading this article, that it had already come out and I completely missed it. Now I'll know what to look for.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I honestly forgot it was even in the theatres despite wanting to go see it based on from what I was told by a few of my friends that said it was awesome.

Then again, I'm pretty terrible when it comes to movies, so I will most likely forget that the name was changed. >.>

New name sounds kinda neat though.

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
thats interesting that it apparently bombed. since when i saw it a week after release the theater was still pretty full (which never happens normally).

then again I'm not in the US

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
"that sci-fi Tom Cruise movie" could be a few things... even if add "forgettable" to that description, you could still be talking Oblivion.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Olrod said:

Well you should because it's a very good movie and it has something for everyone.

If you like Tom Cruise (like me!), you're happy to see Tom Cruise doing his Cruise thing
If you don't like Tom Cruise (like you!), you're happy because about 3/4 of the movie is Tom Cruise getting killed (sometimes in very hilarious ways)

Everyone wins!

OT: This seems like a terrible idea.

If you were one of the six people who went and wish to own it on the Blu-Rays (like me!), then changing the name is just going to make it a pain in the ass to find (especially with companies like Asylum running around with their Mockumentaries).

If you were one of my friends who I gushed this movie to, you're going to be expecting to find "Edge of Tomorrow" wherever you are buying it, not "Live, Die, Repeat".

This seems like one of those decisions that probably should have been made a lot longer ago. I don't see how this could possibly benefit them while seeing many downsides...

Nevrim

Apr 15, 2009
Is this film based on the manga "All you need is kill", or the other way around?
Does it appear at any point a guy with power armor and a giant axe?

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Nevrim said:
Is this film based on the manga "All you need is kill", or the other way around?
All You Need Is Kill was a Japanese light novel. It was renamed Edge of Tomorrow for its international release for god knows what reason. Both the movie and manga are based on it, with the manga being a more faithful adaptation.

At any rate, I like this new title a lot better, but to be honest, I don't see why they can't just keep the original freakin' name.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Considering all the marketing materials gave more prominence to the Live. Die. Repeat. Tag line than the actual title of the film, this makes a certain kind of sense.

-m

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Redlin5 said:
I... I liked it.

<.<

[sub]I don't like the name change but whatever.[/sub]
Yeah. I wouldn't call it an amazing movie, but overall, I liked it. It was completely adequate for what it was trying to be. Honestly, my two main issues were fairly minor.

1: The exo-suits are very silly in their design. Imagine how much more resistant their pilots would be to stabbing if their powered armor was completely armored over.

2: The aliens. Whoever designed those things (they're considerably different from the Mimics in the source material) needs to never be allowed to design monsters again. They're just so excessively busy, and there's never once in the movie (except in that one hologram) where you actually get a decent look at what the things actually are. They're just these jumbled, blurry masses of tentacles zipping around too fast to see. They may as well have been sapient flying sawblades, and they would have had the same effect.

Overall though, it was a fun enough movie for what it was.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Olrod said:

Well you should because it's a very good movie and it has something for everyone.

If you like Tom Cruise (like me!), you're happy to see Tom Cruise doing his Cruise thing
If you don't like Tom Cruise (like you!), you're happy because about 3/4 of the movie is Tom Cruise getting killed (sometimes in very hilarious ways)

Everyone wins!
Wow... you know, you may have just changed my mind about the film.

The aliens aren't the same ones from his cult, right?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Shame. I thought it was actually a decent movie.

rcs619 said:
Redlin5 said:
I... I liked it.

<.<

[sub]I don't like the name change but whatever.[/sub]
1: The exo-suits are very silly in their design. Imagine how much more resistant their pilots would be to stabbing if their powered armor was completely armored over.
It would also make them extremely heavy. Armour plating is bulky shit. Which would require a larger power supply and more powerful engines, which in turn would both be heavier.

2: The aliens. Whoever designed those things (they're considerably different from the Mimics in the source material) needs to never be allowed to design monsters again. They're just so excessively busy, and there's never once in the movie (except in that one hologram) where you actually get a decent look at what the things actually are. They're just these jumbled, blurry masses of tentacles zipping around too fast to see. They may as well have been sapient flying sawblades, and they would have had the same effect.
I kinda liked the aliens. They were visually very messy, sure, but I liked how they came across as these hyper-frenetic jumbles of claws and tentacles. Actually made them pretty menacing.

Mahorfeus said:
At any rate, I like this new title a lot better, but to be honest, I don't see why they can't just keep the original freakin' name.
I'm guessing it's because "All You Need is Kill" sounds goofy as hell.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This was a good movie. It deserved to do better than it did. That said: You are actually doing yourself a disservice by renaming it on home release. It has even less recognition with a new name that the original did.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I actually enjoyed that movie a lot, had a blast watching and laugh a lot

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Live Die Repeat was the tagline for it, at least in England. And I personally think it's a lot better. Still, I won't buy it. Tom Cruise is one of those people I don't want to give money to, like Orson Scott Card and Chris Brown. I love the look of the movie, and if I see it on TV or Netflix or a friend buys it or something I will totally watch it, but I don't want to give any of my money directly to Cruise because I know he'll spend at least a bit of it on that pyramid scheme that shall remain unnamed and I don't want to support those guys, even by proxy.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Live Die Repeat sounds much better than Edge of Tomorrow, and both sound grammatically correct over 'All You Need Is Kill'.

Also, why the big deal of it not making money in the States? It doubled the money put into it...but not from the country it oriented from? What...does almost all the 2 hundred million dollars not even make it back somehow?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I liked the movie, and I'm usually pretty hard on films. It was no great, groundbreaking work, but the plot was decent and other than a weak final act, I found the whole thing pretty amusing and well worth the price of admission.