Edge Returns to the App Store as Edgy - UPDATED

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Poor Mobi. They were just sick and tired of dealing with Lang. Seems to be a war of Attrition with those guys.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I can't believe they think they own the rights to every word even related to "Edge."

I'm copyrighting "the" RIGHT NOW.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Xanadu84 said:
Escapist is still in contact with these guys? Please, tell Tim, from the escapist community that he is a dick, and that he isn't fooling anyone with his spurious, asanine lawsuits, and that the very fact that he is arrogantly trying to pretend like he is a decent human being makes me hate him even more. At least Ill be able to forget this whole mess if he just manned the hell up and admit that what he did was a shakedown and nothing more. I will go out of my way to never support anything him or his company does ever again, and I really want him to know that I'm not the only one who sees him this way.
You seem to think they have been doing anything but corporate bullying since the 80s or that they are suddenly going to realize that they appear less dickish if they actually do work. I do agree with you that I won't buy a single Edge Games product if one every comes out, but I am expecting to see the Messiah come down from heaven before I see a product actually made by Edge Games.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"And no, we did not ask for money from them, nor did we bully them into making this decision."
Edge Games initially rejected the idea but then attempted to register the name as a trademark in the U.S. and offered to license it to Mobigame;
You lying sack of shit.

I would boycott Edge Games, but it is entirely unclear to me that the company makes any product other than legal maneuverings anymore.

Which does, perhaps, mean they should be sued for false advertising based on their name alone.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
You can file that email from Edge 'Games' into the "This is how to make a crappy PR situation way the hell worse" category - it's bad enough when you're caught being an utter jackass, but performances like this go the extra mile by assuming your audience are drooling morons who will totally believe your flagrant spin unquestioningly.

Congratulations - now we can hate you for talking to us like we're morons in addition to all the other compelling reasons to hate you - way to overachieve.

MrCrun

Dec 17, 2004
This isn't a PR disaster for him. PR is irrelevent to him, he hasn't got anything to sell. PR only matters if the public's opinion can help or harm you. What are we going to do? Boycott his games?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
This is just another example on how copyright and trademark law Fails. In a nutshell, this is a gradeschool level way of saying 'I got here first, and you have to pay me money to be the next one up.' So much for society maturing.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Knight Templar said:
I don't understand, isn't the trademark for "Edge games" not "edge"?
No, actually it's for "Edge" "The Edge" "Gamer's Edge" "Edge Games" "Cutting Edge" "EdgeMasters" and "Masters of the game"

...Yeah, right :eek:

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Edge say that they've pretty much won this by getting Mobigames to change the name to Edgy. How deluded is Tim Langdell? He seriously thinks this is a victory? It's just another punch in the balls and it's just going to inspire more people to take the piss. He'll lose it in the end, there's no real way he can come out of this whole fiasco on top. Still, at least us gamers are getting a laugh out of it...

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
Capo Taco said:
How far can you twist a phrase? I'm learning new angles and dimensions everyday with this guy.
I think that at this point, we're into non-Euclidean geometry.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
As much as I dislike it , I'm wishing for a U2 Guitar Hero named Guitar Edge. Just to see if Langdell would have the stones to pick a fight with Activision...

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
Callate said:
I would boycott Edge Games, but it is entirely unclear to me that the company makes any product other than legal maneuverings anymore.

Which does, perhaps, mean they should be sued for false advertising based on their name alone.
My thoughts exactly, before this whole fiasco i didn't even know who Edge Games were

Psychemaster

Everything in Moderation
Aug 18, 2008
I think we can all live in confidence that this 'Edgy' is probably several leagues better than anything Tim Langdell's shithole has ever excreted.

Hell, if I deigned to buy an iPhone out of sheer stupidity or loss of will to live, I'd probably get this game for it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Its a sad day that this company gave into Tim what's his face and "Edge games". This bullshit shouldn't be allowed; that said, I understand why Mobigames decided to take the easier path.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Someone in a previous thread about this fiasco used an example, I believe, of Apple's "iPod" and that you can't call your product "iPod by Sony" and get away with it. The problem here is that Langdell trademarked a common word. Seriously, can I go and trademark "dark"? ...or "red"?

I do think the trademark laws need to be revised, but with every system, you'll always have the Langdells who want to abuse it. The real issue I have is why the hell did Apple yank Mobigames' title from the store with a simple lawyer threat? Doesn't that amount to lost sales for Mobigames? Either Apple handled this very poorly or trademark law needs to be revised... which is it?

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
I think I should trademark games and any punctual spelling of the word,be it in bold italic or underline

and then go sue Langdell for infringement.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I get the strangest impression that Tim Langdell is full of himself. Crazy, I know.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
So wait, he turned down the offer to change it to Edgy, tried to steal the title Edgy while no one was looking, and then claimed it as their own idea?

Whew. Some sorta logic you got going on, Langdell.