EDIT: Skyrim Streams and my Initial Thoughts. SPOILER-FREE!! Now with more info!

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
I'll preface this by saying that it takes an EXTRAORDINARY amount of willpower to not watch the 20 minute intro that was leaked (the actual beginning of the game including character gen and the title screen, not the Todd Howard demo from way back). I don't want to watch it, to get that feeling of stepping out into the world on my own for the first time to have the full impact. I am NOT posting any spoilers here unless you count comments on the graphics and UI to be so.

That being said, I have been watching some streams from the full version that was indeed leaked a couple days back and let me say, it looks good.

First off, graphics are going to be hard to judge because its the console version streamed over the internet with already diluted quality, and then screenshotted and reuploaded once again to share.

However, the snow buildup is indeed in, and it looks surprisingly decent. Exploring does seem to be flavorful, with various unique structures to be found. The combat is pretty much like oblivion, it looks weightier though. A major concern is that I did catch a glimpse of a killcam ala New Vegas in there, it feels out of place.

A couple major complaints I do have, have to do with the interface. Seeing as my vanilla experience will be on the xbox, I haven't formed an opinion on it's plausibility on the PC. that being said, we haven't seen the PC version yet and maybe Bethesda has finally picked up a trick or two from DarN.

The biggest thing I notice is a sort of dichotomy created with the setting and the interface. It feels too modern for the setting. I know this is personal taste, but I think it may damper immersion a wee bit.

Another biggie would be the compass. No, I am not a Morrowind die-hard who hates the idea of it, I like it in oblivion in fact. No, what kills me is the fact that they added red dots to it to show, you guessed it, enemies! This seemingly magic compass is a huge turnoff. In fact this may be my biggest complaint, but I didn't want to seem petty by making it my number one.

Something I am a little worried about is whether or not you can look at your character in your inventory when you are trying on new armor. I haven't seen anyone looking at their actual armor/weapon inventories in a stream, for some odd reason. Not that I play dress-up or anything, but if I have a slightly better armor stat-wise, I will not switch to it if I like the looks of the worse one. Switching to third person outside of your inventory and fumbling with the camera to look at yourself from all angles would be frustrating, because it's nigh impossible to do so with relative ease.

I will make a note here and say that the bugginess seems to be minimal, I only saw a guy get stuck once in the terrain, but he was asking for it by trying to fit into a space about a foot wide between some stairs and a wall. I haven't heard of any save-raping bugs like New Vegas had initially either.

I am on the fence about the virtually copy-pasted lockpicking from Fallout 3/NV. It doesn't seem to fit in my opinion, but then the lockpicking in Oblivion was actually good in my opinion too, so take that for what it's worth. I guess I liked the dexterity and reaction time needed for the tumbler game rather than the guessing and fine tweaking of Fallout.

Also, everyone who streams this infuriates me by not looting or at least looking on every corpse and in every container. Or even giving a room a quick glance to look for chests!

All in all, I am solid in my preorder and I cannot wait till 11/11/11, I just hope that I can at the very least turn off enemy detection on my compass. If not, I'll live and just not use it unless I cannot find a mudcrab who is chasing me ever so slowly and ruining my fast travel or rest attempts.

Anyone else see streams, the leaked gameplay, or just have thoughts on the game in general? Preferably new information, of course.

NO SPOILERS PLEASE, unless you mark it appropriately and encase it in spoiler tags.

MASSIVE EDIT:

I totally for got the best part of the combat! The leveling that they advertised does seem to be in! Players are actually dying in fights where they take on too many higher-level people with relative ease and another guy tried to take on a giant at level 5 and got completely one-shotted. So don't fret about there not being a challenge to be had in there.

New Info:

Fears confirmed about the inventory not showing your character. Kind of a disappointment but oh well. I just got to see someone actually using magic and it really has sold me on the game.

Plus I saw enchanting. The asshole kind of skipped the tutorial, but from what I gather you need to sacrifice certain other enchanted weapons to learn their spells, then you may enchant with that effect. Don't hold me to it, because the dude skipped the tutorial on it. Ugh.

I wish that soul gems just determined the strength of the enchantment and they just did away with charges. Its just such a hassle. So charges are indeed still in on enchanted items.

I have also personally seem multiple dungeons now and I must say, while some textures are reused, it appears that there is a LOT more variety, so I'll call the handcrafted claim tentatively true.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Pretty much all of the complaints I have heard are minor to me so far (murky textures, some wonky animations, streamlined interface etc.). I'm still very muched psyched...

And sticking with a "no spoilers" mantra I will leave you with this: From what I have heard and seen, I think Bethesda pulled a monumental double bluff over a highly demanded subject. There are many I know... no, Spears and Crossbows aren't in mind you, I'm not going to be responsible for that shit storm of hope.

This isn't a bad double bluff at all, but a welcoming one.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
The one thing I read about, but have yet to see (but really need to) is the magic.

I'll pass on what I read.

You can dual wield magic. The guy in question had fire in one hand and lightning in the other.

Magic is now fired in a constant stream unlike the one shot zaps of Oblivion. It does, however, drain your mana very quickly.

He did say that firing off lightning and fire at once in a stream like that does look awesome and gives a feeling of power Oblivion just couldn't.

That got me excited and leads me to believe a mage class will be more than viable depending on how fast mana drains and pots/regen.

I have to admit though I was sold as soon as I heard "dual wielding magic".

Not sure how new that news is i'm not as current and up to date as some people (really should look into things more).

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
The one thing I read about, but have yet to see (but really need to) is the magic.

You can dual wield magic. The guy in question had fire in one hand and lightning in the other.

Magic is now fired in a constant stream unlike the one shot zaps of Oblivion. It does, however, drain your mana very quickly.

He did say that firing off lightning and fire at once in a stream like that does look awesome and gives a feeling of power Oblivion just couldn't.

That got me excited and leads me to believe a mage class will be more than viable depending on how fast mana drains and pots/regen.

Not sure how new that news is i'm not as current and up to date as some people (really should look into things more).
I have heard that your mana regen is best when you wear robes and light clothing, and that if you run around in heavy armor prepare to wait forever for it to recharge. Kind of kills some of the heavy armored sorcerer builds I have heard people wanting to try.

I guess you could just hotkey potions if its that important though.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Rawne1980 said:

Was that in the PCgamer article (a specific line in your comment sounds awfully familiar)? I read that, loved the bit about him joining the Thieves guild and starting a small war by accident.

Magic actually has multiple fire modes, a bolt like in Oblivion, but beefier looking, a stream as you said... an aura I think is their as well and also traps (seals you place on the ground). All in all, looks much improved.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
Was that in the PCgamer article (a specific line in your comment sounds awfully familiar)? I read that, loved the bit about him joining the Thieves guild and starting a small war by accident.

Magic actually has multiple fire modes, a bolt like in Oblivion, but beefier looking, a stream as you said... an aura I think is their as well and also traps (seals you place on the ground). All in all, looks much improved.
It was in PCGamer yes.

It was a pretty decent write up from what sounded like a quick play.

Some of the things he mentioned did sound quite good and a pretty big step up from Oblivion. The few random encounters he found wandering around, something I think was lacking in Oblivion, which is something a game with a large map like that can take advantage of.

The thieves guild bit sounded hilarious. Made me want to go try it.

I didn't know about the multiple fire modes (told you I need to research things a bit more) but magic on the whole sounds much improved.

Shru1kan said:
I have heard that your mana regen is best when you wear robes and light clothing, and that if you run around in heavy armor prepare to wait forever for it to recharge. Kind of kills some of the heavy armored sorcerer builds I have heard people wanting to try.

I guess you could just hotkey potions if its that important though.
I was going to try for a battle mage kind of thing but if that's the case I will just go for a normal mage.

Slapping pots on a hotkey is okay unless you have to carry around the majority of your weight limit in potions just to travel a short distance.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Ragsnstitches said:
Rawne1980 said:

Also, in addition to the streams (flamethrower :D), there are also the generic fireballs.

We haven't seen hardly any of the new effects yet.

OT: The streams have just hyped me even more.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I have one question though, did they fix the thing where you hear HOLY SHIT EPIC BATTLE MUSIC ARRRRRG only to turn around to see a derpy mudcrab skitter up and pinch your toes? Ok it isn't a serious question, because that has led to some hilarious encounters on my end, but are there any varying battle musics?

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
I don't think the leaked video is new. Did the character creater make him become a nord?

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Eh, games like Fallout and Oblivion have always had their famous AI bugs, and honestly, I look forward to them as well as the game themselves. There is nothing funnier that being yelled at by an Imperial Guard stuck inside the wall of a building! Can't wait for Skyrim. While the compass is a bit of a disappointment, I doubt it'll impact me too much!

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Rawne1980 said:

Did you buy Fable 3 for that reason?

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
Furioso said:
I have one question though, did they fix the thing where you hear HOLY SHIT EPIC BATTLE MUSIC ARRRRRG only to turn around to see a derpy mudcrab skitter up and pinch your toes? Ok it isn't a serious question, because that has led to some hilarious encounters on my end, but are there any varying battle musics?
Well to be honest, I was more engrossed with the actual combat to listen to the music. It was mostly inaudible anyways, seeing as 90% of the streams were literally like webcams pointing at the TV, not even capture card.

I wish that the streamers would take time to set up properly, I know I would. Like the IGN 24 hour dark souls marathon, they pumped the sound directly into the PC, and kept the TV quiet in the studio so not too much of it was lost in the process.

But I could have sworn I had heard some snippets at different places. In all likelihood, a small selection of potential songs, or a long battle music theme. Hopefully a small playlist of ones, just to keep things up. I used to love the oblivion soundtrack until the 500th time hearing every track.

EDIT:

Fears confirmed about the inventory not showing your character. Kind of a disappointment but oh well. I just got to see someone actually using magic and it really has sold me on the game.

Plus I saw enchanting. The asshole kind of skipped the tutorial, but from what I gather you need to sacrifice certain other enchanted weapons to learn their spells, then you may enchant with that effect. Don't hold me to it, because the dude skipped the tutorial on it. Ugh.

I wish that soul gems just determined the strength of the enchantment and they just did away with charges. Its just such a hassle. So charges are indeed still in on enchanted items.