Editor's Note: Avast, Ye Mateys!

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Avast, Ye Mateys!

The '60s had the drugs. The '70s had the sex. The '00s have ... file-sharing? Why does it feel like we got the short end of the generational stick?

Read Full Article

Siris

Everyone's Favorite Transvestite
Jan 15, 2009
It's kind of strange to believe that this is such a small notion. Sony has openly admitted that piracy has been what killed the PSP. But I can understand where you are coming from, and I agree: we did get the short end of the stick

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
I hope I die before I get old. ha nice reference lol. and you said 'Mosh pits sucked', i disagree! anyway I guess the 00s are useless, can't argue there... I guess we have great technology and computers, but they'll be outdated by the 10's, and we can't tell fascinating stories about how when we were younger we only had 2gb of dynamic RAM now can we?

Solipsis

Sep 24, 2008
I can wholeheartedly put my seal of unquestioning approval on any article containing a reference to the Who.

*stamp*

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
"I was there when the wall came down..."

"Oh yeah? Well... well... I was there for the first Rick Roll! HA!"

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Word up Tom Endo. We are lame as hell.

Somehow I get the feeling that the 00s will be time-stamped with furry sex and that terrorist alert meter that never seems to get lower than orange. Our montage will feature music from Fall Out Boy and Paramore.

MorkFromOrk

Sep 9, 2007
Yeah my parents were hippies, protesting the war, smoking weed, and making out in the bushes. What do we have today? High School Musical and p0wning n00bs in online combat games.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Pirating has become a social movement. The CP owners the CP farms have to much power and influence on society. As they seek to gain absolute control over distribution they ensure that the CP creator/Artist is forced to become a pack animal they can make money from.

Because the industry is insipid and pervasive I support civil disobedience, this is akin to the civil rights movement were a segment of the population is disrespected and walked on the common artist and consumer is fodder for CP/Corporate fascism.

IMO they need to change business models to a profit focus (meaning free non profit shearing is legal)if its making money they have absolute right to a piece of that pie but the industry will have to give up its authoritative and top heavy nature and focus on gaining a portion of "data" sales via streamlined revenue streams IE they can produce something for 30-99$ as a special release then let licensees sell it burned to disk or drive or in a retail box for 1-30$ let the market and sellers drive prices and the media industry gain a steady 50% or so of the final sale. All of this will keep prices fluid and keep volume high and everyone from the retailer to the CP owner is making money and sustaining the industry instead of a stagnant and self damaging industry..

If they did this infinite CP or "profit rights" would not effect the common man nor stagnate the industry in a vile and insipid way as it dose with the distribution focused model..
/incoherent intellectual

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
The 60's and 70's had wanton use of drugs and lots and lotys of well....lovin to be nice about it. I agree it seems that this generation is getting all the crap that went one decades before, plus with video games becoming more and more mainstream, it feels like my generation is looked to be a bunch of degenerates.

When the actions of a few seem to condemn the many when at one point in time it was the majority of people doing these things. I think our parents generation has ruined everything for us.

C. Blackwood

Feb 20, 2009
"But it's a sad revolution, one grounded in consumption more than ideals, fueled by a fervor that typically evaporates at the first hint of prosecution. It's probably brought very few of us together and only encouraged greater anonymity and paranoia."

Actually, I met a few close friends of mine through piracy in college. The majority of the CS department was always trading links to places you could go to get music and software and challenging each other to crack their stuff even when we knew what we're doing is illegal. "It could be worse! We could be doing drugs!", "I need this for class and can't afford it otherwise!", and "I can't find this in stores at all" were common utterances during said link-trading and crack-challenges.

I doubt we got the short end of the generational stick. It just takes a few years of separation to realize the impact and what the "main" culture did during a certain decade.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I have to be completely honest and say that here at the end of the week I think this particular issue was a bad idea. Never have I had to wade through so much hate spewing back and forth between the relentless mobs of those who think people against pirating are elitist pricks, and those who think people who pirate are worthless scum. I have nothing against free speech, but I think the piracy problem has become as taboo to talk about among strangers as politics and religion.

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
And yet it needs to be talked about.

We have a serious problem here. I used to be a pirate when I was in high school around 15 years ago. I always knew that I was getting free swag, but I never felt entitled to what I was doing. I was just getting away with it, and it didn't take me long to outgrow it.

These days, there is a very frightening sense of entitlement among pirates - they don't feel like they're just getting away with something, they actually feel ENTITLED to it. They consider getting what they want for free to be a right, and I've seen people defend it like they would free speech. It's becoming an ideology, and that is extremely dangerous. Piracy as an ideology can do a lot of damage, both direct and collateral, before it's done.

The only way to fight that is to talk about it. To examine both the reasons and the excuses, come to understand the reasons, and blow holes in the excuses.

(It would also help if the RIAA would stop acting like a bunch of thugs in the name of copyright holders, but that's a different public relations disaster...)

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
I am Captain Gilligan Blackout, the Mad Pirate Philosopher. Piracy is a way of life, an idealogy and way of being for me. I don't bloody well need to defend it. It's the imperialists job to try and stop me. Considering I've been at this for years, good luck.

There are cool pirates and there are the greedy pigs. Most pirates I've come across are only about free swag. I'd like to say it's indefensible but the only two moral/ethical foundations that work are might makes right or compassion makes right. So I'll toss defensibility of any of this out the window and say make your own choice.

However if you were into piracy for free swag and now feel generationally robbed, you made the wrong choice.

For me piracy was always about more. It started with software and music but it didn't end there. Running a black market in far more tangible goods through a speakeasy was way too much fun. Doing it with flair, mojo and cool made it the most addicting drug I've ever had. My rules, my way and the patrons loved me despite the arrogance. The free swag was a fringe benefit. The freedom was always the real prize. For pirates of old it was the freedom of the high seas. For my tribe it was the freedom to be who we wanted without need for justification. Call me dishonorable, selfish or hypocritical. Call me anything you want. I'll simply look you straight in the eye and say, "Pirate."

Over the years I've sobered up and cleaned up. I focused the piracy on "justified" syncretism, hence the title.

I find myself in the richest country in the world. The three biggest political parties are either blatantly selfish, incompetent, thoroughly corrupt or all three. The global economy is in a tailspin due to greed in the form of rampant capitalism. I have a tribe, some of whom are my own flesh and blood, to take care of. We live like peasants, usually happily. I work hard at an honest job, sometimes 14 hours a day. It's no longer enough. The old skills are still there, waiting to be tapped.

Live well like a peasant and you have nothing to fear. Live like a noble and the world is your enemy. I don't care about right or wrong. I care about compassion and might. I will lie cheat and steal to accomplish my goals.

If you want to talk about piracy and the lives surrounding it, talk about it. Don't end the conversation when you've accounted all the reasons and damage. Talk about what leads to piracy and how to shift those lives into a better way of living. We have a narrow view of piracy in this country that isn't shared the world over. Expand your perspective by learning about others. If you don't, you may find your swag missing.

Finally, I must say: I just started here on escapist, and my timing was perfect. Issue 189 was brilliant. No matter if I agreed or not, I loved all of it.

chrskovs

Dec 11, 2008
I think it's a little harsh to say that the only think we have the 21. century is piracy and file-sharing. There's a lot more to the world then just stuff on the computer, we still have sex (at least i think so? In that categori there's also clusterfuck, but i'm not going to wright about that :p)and we still have drugs, and on top of that we now have piracy.