Editor's Note: Best of

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Best of

Editor-in-Chief Russ Pitts reflects on E3 2010 and what it foretells for the future of gaming.

Read Full Article

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
I would like to indicate that these issues are the same weekly issues back then. Some people didn't notice that it's called "Best of" and it features the most illuminating articles that are hand picked by the Escapist Staff.

Also, I agree that E3 2006 was the last good convention till when turmoil struck and E3 was gonna die. And came back to life but wasn't the same as before.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Each of the big three have all but announced the current console life cycle will last another 5 years, which means that we, the consumers, can't look forward to any astounding hardware announcements for some time and that developers will have to "make do" with old technology for a while.
I like this, I like this alot.

Hopefully game developers will slightly enhance current game engines (as with Source, Unreal 3.0SDK) and focus on gameplay, you never know we just might get ourselves some more gameplay innovation's as opposed to technical innovations. I mean having a pretty game is nice but devs have all but mastered Physics, Smoke, Fire and volumetric tree's!, but lets use that tech to enhance gameplay now.

The above comment was bought to you by a KillZone fan, a generic corridor shooter o_O

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Also, I agree that E3 2006 was the last good convention till when turmoil struck and E3 was gonna die. And came back to life but wasn't the same as before.
Can you explain to me why? i'm curious (never been on any convention)

My1stLuvJak

Jan 28, 2010
I won't make any predictions on the state of the industry, but I can honestly say that I've spent more on videogames this year (or plan to) than any year previous.

Nintendo is just as good as ever at sucking up all my hard-earned cash; I have Metroid: Other M on pre-order, I've bought Mario Galaxy 2, and the 3DS has me salivating, right now!

I'm not AS excited about anything Sony showed off, but Little Big Planet 2 is on my wishlist, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow looks brilliant and Modnation was the last game to come in the mail. Oh, and PSN is as brilliant as day one - FFlX is the last game I purchased for it...my 80GB hard drive is bursting at the seams!

This year's E3 belonged to Nintendo, I think. Still, though, without Pikmin 3 having been announced, I am disheartened. Whatever happened to my Olimar? We don't even have the Pikmin 2 rebuff on Wii, yet!

Samus, hold me tender

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I still think that PAX and PAX:East are where it is at for a gamers convention. I am happy to hear E3 has recovered to some degree but I would rather attend PAX.

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
My1stLuvJak said:
I won't make any predictions on the state of the industry, but I can honestly say that I've spent more on videogames this year (or plan to) than any year previous.
I agree, as I have done the same, although my increase in buying games probably comes from the fact that I'm a bit older now.

Even though the recession has made times hard for the last few years and I've gotten used to living on a shoe-string, spending money on luxaries, to me mainly games, has become essential. A reward, as it were, for slogging my guts out at work and having next to nothing to show for it. It helps boost morale when you start questioning why you get up and go to work evryday. If you know what I mean.

More on topic, whoever said the industry was recession proof was obiously smoking crack or something, the idea that an industry that relies on disposable income to support it, when cosumers on average have less of it is ridiculous. Also the comment about those who speak loudest having little to say, and that this year was loud but said little is right on the money, I cant say that I have been impressed with what I've read and watched.