Editor's Note: Fiction

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Fiction

This week The Escapist takes on a new and improved look. Find out what's changed and why you should be excited in this week's Editor's Note.

Read Full Article

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Site looks fantastic. Very shiny. Applause to all the development crew.

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
Shiny, shiny. Good work!

Welcome, welcome to Escapist 3.0, you have chosen or been chosen to relocate to one of our finest remaining community centres. We thought so much of Escapist 3.0 that we elected to establish our wonderful and benevolent dictator administration here, in the Citadel so
thoughtfully provided by our Benefactors. I am proud to call Escapist 3.0 my home.
So whether you are here to stay, or passing through on your way to parts unknown, welcome to Escapist 3.0. It's even safer here.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Looking good so far, although I feel compelled to point out an error on the front page. It says this is Issue 203, when it's actually 202. Also, the columns/news section seems a little cluttered; there's no real structure that I can tell. No doubt you'll get it sorted, though.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Fantastic work guys... looks lovely. Big round of applause, and maybe even a round of drinks if you happen to be in London any time.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
It's very good, and I already took a lot of inspiration from the design of the old site, so, well, I think I'm qualified to say this is a big improvement.

*clap* *clap*

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
Anachronism said:
Also, the columns/news section seems a little cluttered; there's no real structure that I can tell. No doubt you'll get it sorted, though.
I second that!

And I applaud to your hidden feature of your under construction site; I don't like poems, but I appreciate the effort.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
The only bug I see so far is that the icon for Experienced Points is *excessively* handsome and witty, and might prove to be too distracting for newcomers.

Other than that, I really love the new design.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
My only quandary is the Latest Posts/Hot Threads square has been shrunk significantly, and it means I can't read the treads titles without leaning forward (although that could just mean I need glasses (but I do normally lean back quite a lot in my chair)).

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
Shamus Young said:
The only bug I see so far is that the icon for Experienced Points is *excessively* handsome and witty, and might prove to be too distracting for newcomers.

I had trouble making that one. I kept fawning.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
bit too cluttered for my liking, also the news looks smaller :/

whatever ill get used to it im sure, im not much of a change person...
like soem of th enew features tho

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
Looks alright, though I will have to get used to so much being in a small space. Other than that, the layout is pretty cool and I haven't found any serious bugs yet.

Thank you for all your efforts.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
Well it look quite shiney and new. I liked the way it was set up but I highly doubt any amount of wining I do will get it back. I'm sure there's some neat stuff here, like the videos on the side(that I like a lot) but I guess it will just get some taking used to, I wouldn't believe the tech crew here did any bad work.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
aBlackKnight said:
Anachronism said:
Also, the columns/news section seems a little cluttered; there's no real structure that I can tell. No doubt you'll get it sorted, though.
I second that!

And I applaud to your hidden feature of your under construction site; I don't like poems, but I appreciate the effort.
I third it. I like it, but it seems quite muddled... Im sorry, i don't mean to be critical or anything but there doesn't seem to be anyway to distinguish between the different sections, they are all muddled together and looks a bit messy if you scroll down the page. If you just put them in boxes then it would be easier to distinguish..

Sorry. I like it, just my overall view on the new front page.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Shamus Young said:

Users swooned.. the trolls fell about in awe.. etc.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Shamus Young said:

Yeah...and his eyes seem to follow you wherever you go. It's mesmerizing...

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Susan Arendt said:
Shamus Young said:

Yeah...and his eyes seem to follow you wherever you go. It's mesmerizing...
Sorry ... what? I was distracted by the avatar in post 11...

Also, glad you guys like it! And to those of you who aren't quite sure about it all yet, honestly, that most of those concerns are also paired with assurances that you'll get used to it and even thanks, feels great. It is a lot of work to do something like this, so we really appreciate you guys' being positive and your willingness to work through the newness. :)