Editor's Note: Gin, Juice and Videogames

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Gin, Juice and Videogames

Videogames and the hip hop world haven't had the smoothest collaborations over the years. But the mutual lack of understanding on both sides of the fence is coming to end, if this week's contributors have anything to say about it.

Read Full Article

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Some interesting articles, I'm particularly drawn to the comparison of Gangsta Rap is to Rap as FPS's are to video games. It's a important qualification that most of this company seem to miss, simply branding anything with a beat and a rapper as "cRap".

megalomania

Apr 14, 2009
I like to think DJ Format has made some headway in this respect: 3 Feet Deep [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOFVL8w6WNA]

Interesting piece, looking forward to reading the rest of the articles! *Goes to do just that*

Clirck

Mar 19, 2009
Maybe people stop hating Rap so much. I'd be really interested in these aricles.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
megalomania said:
I like to think DJ Format has made some headway in this respect: 3 Feet Deep [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOFVL8w6WNA]

Interesting piece, looking forward to reading the rest of the articles! *Goes to do just that*
NO WAY!

I was looking for that video earlier, Youtube wouldn't let me have it x(... The only problem with that is voice recognition, but if it worked *dreams*

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Somewhat timely for this issue to arrive just as Def Jam Rapstar is announced and the doors are really being blown off for DJ Hero and (pity poor) Scratch: The Ultimate DJ.

megalomania

Apr 14, 2009
wordsmith said:
megalomania said:

NO WAY!

I was looking for that video earlier, Youtube wouldn't let me have it x(... The only problem with that is voice recognition, but if it worked *dreams*
Nice to find another Format fan around. I had to force feed him to all my friends! Have you heard the Fabriclive set he did? Its cracking. I wanted to go but I couldn't get any of my mates along (exam season). I wish I had just gone on my own!

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
megalomania said:
wordsmith said:
megalomania said:

NO WAY!

Nice to find another Format fan around. I had to force feed him to all my friends! Have you heard the Fabriclive set he did? Its cracking. I wanted to go but I couldn't get any of my mates along (exam season). I wish I had just gone on my own!
I found a CD-Rom at school with a bunch of old "clean" rap on (King Tim, Sugerhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash etc.), which happened to have Vicious Battle Raps (Format feat. Abdominal) and the 3 Feet Deep video on it. I showed it to a mate, and I think I may have the version we did around here xD

EDIT: There's a rapper called XV who's signed with FnF (Lupe Fiasco's label), I'm just listening to him now...

"Welcome to Mario World/ I tell them pipe down" - This Is It

"So I hold down the block/like the back button on street fighter"- I can't remember :S

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
spazzattack said:
Def Jam: Fight for NY was a fantastic game. Hip hop and video games don't mix? I beg to differ.
I agree with this completely. Even if I wouldn't subject my ears to the junk my older sister listens to (and she only picks the worst of the worst "artists"), I absolutely love Fight For NY.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
SharPhoe said:
spazzattack said:
Def Jam: Fight for NY was a fantastic game. Hip hop and video games don't mix? I beg to differ.
I agree with this completely. Even if I wouldn't subject my ears to the junk my older sister listens to (and she only picks the worst of the worst "artists"), I absolutely love Fight For NY.
That's because it's actually a good game that features rappers. It would have still done well as just a "normal" fighting game, but not as well as it actually did. I think that adding rappers actually made it more popular.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
I am fine with the existance of that rap game that is Guitar Hero-like, mostly so they stop saying stupid things like "WHy is there no rap in ROCKband!?"
I hate Rap and wish it gone, but I could tolerate it's existance better if Rappers would put a pin to their head and pop those over-inflated egos of theirs. Most notably Puff Daddy who I would put in my top 10 worst people ever list, Kanye West who is helping to flush race equality down the drain, and 50 Cent who should not be allowed 100 yards near any gaming company.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Kiutu said:
I am fine with the existance of that rap game that is Guitar Hero-like, mostly so they stop saying stupid things like "WHy is there no rap in ROCKband!?"
I hate Rap and wish it gone, but I could tolerate it's existance better if Rappers would put a pin to their head and pop those over-inflated egos of theirs. Most notably Puff Daddy who I would put in my top 10 worst people ever list, Kanye West who is helping to flush race equality down the drain, and 50 Cent who should not be allowed 100 yards near any gaming company.
As opposed to the egos and adventures of rock stars, which if you even stopped to look at for half a second would find appalling. Anyone remember that Aerosmith 'shooter'?

It's all entertainment bullshit. It's just about which bullshit you're willing to put up with.

Judging from the number of comments on articles in this weeks issue, it would seem that a great deal of the Escapist's readers (and I include myself here) don't know much about hip-hop, and may regard the crossover with not just a little suspicion (especially since the quality of most things that rap has been involved with has been questionable).

But look at Brutal Legend: that game is almost universally regarded with a sense of awesome. However, if they'd tried to make something with metal as a theme in the 80s (and I mean heavy metal, not the glam stuff) then it would've been laughed at and regarded as 'stupid'. Or at least, that's how most metal was thought of back then. Now we look at things like Master of Puppets, Reign in Blood, Screaming for Vengeance or Number of the Beast-albums that were savaged back then except by the followers of the genre-and we say: that's where all the awesome started, and now it's influencing one of the most innovative game developers we've got.

So maybe in another 5-10 years, something similar will be present in rap + videogames.

Ice-T once said that 'Music is music'. I am not here to say anyone's personal tastes are superior to anyone else's, but I think that a truly great song speaks to a broad range of people and even those who aren't in tune with the 'culture' of that music can see something good about it.

Just like people who don't know much about videogames might see something really great in the best our culture has to offer.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I think if big names are going to get involved in hip hop laced videogames, it needs to be the right ones. Everyone remembers 50 Cent: Bulletproof, but no one remembers Marc Ecko's Getting up, a game pretty much completely about expression and freedom of speech.

But I agree completely Tendo, I do.