Editor's Note: Pie in the Face

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Pie in the Face

Games make us feel powerful. They make us feel like part of a community. And sometimes, when we're very lucky, they make us laugh.

Read Full Article

Whistler777

Nov 14, 2008
I really wish more games still had a sense of humor. Grand Theft Auto was one of the last ones left, and even that went out the window with the release of IV.

The last game that made me chuckle even a little bit was the Monkey Island remake.

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
I LOVE Timesplitter series, there so fun and good, they may not be the best out there but they are the funnest.

Good Note

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
It's a very good point, just read the Timesplitters part, and think about all those games which have concentrated on depth, plot advancement character buildup, realism etc, and wonder if they'd have been better if they'd concentrated on being fun instead.

Again, GTA IV / Saint's Row 2 is a good example. I unlike some really enjoyed GTA IV, but it's just flatly not all out FUN like SR2 is.

It's also pretty much impossible not to feel just a simple joy from playing any Katamari game, and I think it's in part down to it being fairly easy, you don't feel you're just banging your skull against a wall trying to win.

LaBambaMan

Jul 13, 2009
Humor seems to be something that people aren't really willing to accept outside of T.V. and film. As Frank Zappa once said "Does humor belong in music?", and the answer is yes. Gamer designers, and my fellow musicians, don't believe that a sense of humor should be injected into their beloved art form.

Personally, me and my buddy have loads of fun in Red Faction 2 by setting the only weapon to the Railgun and throwing in some bots. Hilarity ensues as everyone runs around avoiding blue death coming through the walls.

Aw-kward

Sep 20, 2009
I found Portal to be hilarious. Dark humor is usually either a variation on something seen before, or a quip clever enough to make you appreciate it, but rarely is it funny (from my experience at least). That game had moments that really made me laugh out loud, although I'm not entirely clear on whether they were supposed to.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Adventure games are a good way to mix humour and gaming, the Space Quest games in particular lampoon everything sci-fi, while Monkey Island does the same for pirates. There are of course many other examples...

My favourite current example is Ben There, Dan That. Fantastically funny adventure game, which everyone should go and play right now!

Spaceman_Spiff

Apr 16, 2009
That example in Time-Splitters is what my friend and I played every day for a year! Still the best Fps on the ps2.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
Timesplitters: Future Perfect was one of the funniest games ever. It's a shame that so many people skipped it.
I most DEFINATLY Did not.

I adore the Timesplitters franchise for exactly what you said. Its tongue in cheek style of play and fantastic multiplayer. Many a game make me laugh though. Overlord 2 made me chuckle quite a bit and some of the things said by people in Fallout 3 can make you burst into fits of laughter so you look like Ripper Roo from Crash Bandicoot.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Thank you for reminding me of the fun times I had with Timespitters. Covering your teamates in remore mines, and running into an enemy base is so much better when you're a Robot monkey, or shoal of fish. In an age of Halo 3, Call of Duty, and Gears of War we need games like Timesplitters (and to a slightly lesser extent Team Fortress 2) to highlight the inherent absurdity in Multiplayer Deathmatches; and what better way than flaming Snowman Zombies?

"IT'S TIME TO SPLIT!"

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
Leather Goddesses of Phobos?!!! I haven't played that game in YEEEEEARS!

By the gods! If you weren't already married, I'd have proposed to you right this instant. LOL

EDIT: And speaking of pies in the face the first time I ever ROTFL at a video game was Quest for Glory 1. There's a part of the game that makes hilarious use of the old "pie in the face" gag in order to proceed to the next area. When I finally figured this out, I laughed until I lost my breath for at least 5 minutes.

Apr 28, 2008
God I love Timesplitters. Especially the map editor.

My friends and I would make a giant maze, make one safe room, fill it with weapons and turrets, create 4 entrenses/exits so its not boring, and chill there.

Hilarity ensued.

Then we would start up some virus and have a blast.

Thats right, we were doing zombie survival before it bacame cool.

thenumberthirteen said:
"IT'S TIME TO SPLIT!"
Oh, that brings back the memories...

I love Cortez, and only just now I notice he kind of looks like Riddick.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Oddworld Strangers wrath was good,Timesplitters 2 was good.

The end of POP:sands of time was great I still remember it,I recall bits from armed and dangerous and Citizen kabuto, gaa brains is r dieing...can;t think of more well Stone keep of cores er...wait...er.... daiblo style adventure game NOX!
Ok what else....mmmmmmm Revenat? mabye I don't recall it being that funny...mmm.....

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Irridium said:
God I love Timesplitters. Especially the map editor.

My friends and I would make a giant maze, make one safe room, fill it with weapons and turrets, create 4 entrenses/exits so its not boring, and chill there.

Hilarity ensued.

Then we would start up some virus and have a blast.

Thats right, we were doing zombie survival before it bacame cool..
Ah Virus. My favourite tactic was to position yourself, and a teamate, down a dead end, and mine the enterance.

I also enjoyed having multiplayer fist fights. In the original Timesplitters if you started with fists all the AI bots would just stand there.

One thing I hate about Timesplitters; the saves are copy protected. WHY? It makes no sense. Now I can't play my old saves on my PS3.

Apr 28, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Ah Virus. My favourite tactic was to position yourself, and a teamate, down a dead end, and mine the enterance.

I also enjoyed having multiplayer fist fights. In the original Timesplitters if you started with fists all the AI bots would just stand there.

One thing I hate about Timesplitters; the saves are copy protected. WHY? It makes no sense. Now I can't play my old saves on my PS3.
Didn't know that.

I got it on the xbox, and its not playable on the 360. And since my xbox broke a long time ago, I can't play it anymore, which makes me really sad :(

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
With all the talk of Timesplitters I decided to fish out my copy of Future Perfect so I could start a new game on my PS3. I went upstairs and opened my box of old PS2 games. BUT I CAN'T FIND IT! Yesterday I would have given this little thought, but all of a sudden this game is worth so much to me. Did it break, did I give it away, or trade it in? Why would I do such a thing to something I care so much about? I'm quite a fickle person it seems I only want it now I don't have it.

*EDIT* Found it. Now it's time for Monkey Curling!*

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
My roommate and I used to play our own brick deathmatch mode in TimeSplitters: Future Perfect; if you got a headshot, we called it the "Russian Labotomy".

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Edit: oops, posted in wrong thread sorry.

Do agree, those moments in games that take us by surprise, that demonstrates the depth of thought that the developers placed into their game... Scribblenaughts has been a fun little game for me as of late, which is pretty much built entirely around that concept.

Where else can you feed Cthulhu Rohypnol?