Editor's Note: Sympathy For The Devil

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Sympathy For The Devil

Our fascination with darkness is a natural side-effect of our desire to stay in the light.

Read Full Article

Feb 13, 2008
but popular musical icons have been linked to occultism since bluesman Robert Johnson supposedly sold his soul to the devil in exchange for sublime skill with a guitar.
There was always a Faustian link between artistic talent and "The Devil" though; Futurama, Tribute and The Devil Went Down to Georgia directly reference it. Idle hands are the devil's play thing, according to proverb. Niccolo Paganini was possibly the first to use it directly as "positive" PR.

One attribution may be madness. Schizophrenia and the like were often referred to as possession, and many artists - music, painters, sculptors - were driven purely by their "demons".

Van Gough was even supposed to have painted this after his deal.

;)

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
The tale of Faust has long been stirring in the backs of human Imagination for reasons that go beyond mere Religious controversy or even the Temptation versus Salvation dilemma.
The reason it has remained Relevant throughout History is because of the Question it raises:
Does craving for Fame and Glory necessarily make us Evil? Or is this a normal part of our existence as Human-beings.

In order to better illustrate my point, I would like to draw your attention to the following published research-paper: http://leicester.academia.edu/documents/0005/2568/dark_triad_paper.pdf
...dealing with a very Interesting psychological concept called the Dark-Triad, which refers the three major Evil characteristics predominant in a Male's psyche: Narcissism, Machiavellianism and Psychopathy.
The greatest Dilemma this concept raises is why have these Traits endured and propagated within the human Genome despite their obvious Social draw-backs.
And the answer it gives is even more unsettling: because they Work.

As it turns-out the Reason why these traits can today be observed in varying degrees within most human Male subjects is because it actually represents a Viable mating-strategy.
So-much so that the Female counterpart of our Species has evolved to actively seek-out Males with these characteristics for their mate, more-so than even social security or physical prowess, mainly because such Individuals are more inclined to Succeed.

So as it turns-out, even from a Scientific viewpoint, Chicks dig bad-Boys ;D

Eicha

Oct 7, 2009
Indeed, the afterlife is a difficult thing to understand. The problem is, being creatures of a physical existence religion tells us that we must be good to benefit the next world. The next world being something that a material creature can't comprehend, because its beyond the extent of what logic and senses can perceive. There's a little nugget in your article asking a question all of a faith must ask themselves; is there REALLY an afterlife? Or is religion just telling us to be good little boys and girls for the sole benefit of improving the quality of life of the human race? Surely its a good thing to do kind things to fellow man, but for the sake of a hypothetcial reward in a plane of existence we cannot understand? Doing good for the sake of benefiting fellow man and the world around us should be the chief reason we practice is. Otherwise, we're being dogs; doing a trick so we'll get a treat afterwards.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
but popular musical icons have been linked to occultism since bluesman Robert Johnson supposedly sold his soul to the devil in exchange for sublime skill with a guitar.
There was always a Faustian link between artistic talent and "The Devil" though; Futurama, Tribute and The Devil Went Down to Georgia directly reference it. Idle hands are the devil's play thing, according to proverb. Niccolo Paganini was possibly the first to use it directly as "positive" PR.

One attribution may be madness. Schizophrenia and the like were often referred to as possession, and many artists - music, painters, sculptors - were driven purely by their "demons".

;)
oh ni- hey, wait a minute (lol Tardis) XD
as for me, I bought 'The Satanic Bible', 'Necronomicon' and a novel named 'Horns', where a man wakes up to find horns on his head and everyone he meets tells him their utmost secret fantasies, and seek his approval. He then uses this talent to find his wife's murderer.

108Stitches

Mar 24, 2010
Funny how teachers can do that. In one of my photography classes, I also received a 'D' because of the content of the picture despite the technologically perfect execution.

The assignment was 'photograph a stranger'. I went to a cemetary and took a picture of someone at their grandfather's grave. Beautiful picture. Wish the real prof hadn't been on sabbatical.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
Russ, please forgive me for a pedantic correction, but I believe what you meant was, "rock and roll all night and 'pawty' every day."

Extra points for the Robert Johnson reference.

You rock.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:

;)

Hmmm...suspicous blue box...

;) No doubt making a strange sound as it disappears :p

Interesting food for thought, there Russ.

To (badly) paraphrase Terry Pratchett- 'Humanity occupies the space where the falling angel meets the rising ape'

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Eicha said:
Indeed, the afterlife is a difficult thing to understand. The problem is, being creatures of a physical existence religion tells us that we must be good to benefit the next world. The next world being something that a material creature can't comprehend, because its beyond the extent of what logic and senses can perceive. There's a little nugget in your article asking a question all of a faith must ask themselves; is there REALLY an afterlife? Or is religion just telling us to be good little boys and girls for the sole benefit of improving the quality of life of the human race? Surely its a good thing to do kind things to fellow man, but for the sake of a hypothetcial reward in a plane of existence we cannot understand? Doing good for the sake of benefiting fellow man and the world around us should be the chief reason we practice is. Otherwise, we're being dogs; doing a trick so we'll get a treat afterwards.
Mavrantzas said:
We don't have souls... So let's just be good in this life, since it's the only one we'll get!
Thanks to the both of you for the wonderful setup. I once read something, and if I could remember where I read it from, I will edit this to let you know.

Religion isn't about belief, or faith, it's about behaving a certain way. As long as you behave within our set standard, we don't care how much you believe. Even without religion, you have a similar belief, be good in this life, it's the only one we get. Both of them could very well be about not going outside of societal norms. Sometimes it's okay to go out as long as in the long run it will help people.

I find it funny that each generation complains about the generation before it, with the declining moral values, when in fact all I see is a changing societal norm. 200 years ago, it was okay to own people. 100 years ago, women couldn't vote in the United States. 50 years ago there was a civil rights movement. There is still a change in the societal norm going on, with a group of people. One man's declining moral value's is another man's(or woman's) freedom.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Those are some interesting points, boss. I think part of humanity's fascination with the occult comes from the same place that makes mainstream people cling together: fear of the unknown and the desire to control that fear so that we can feel like we control the unknown in some way. You captured your pure form of expression in a skull with a mohawk. The mohawk skull came out of you with the least amount of resistance. Sucks that your teacher didn't see the big picture. A good teacher wouldn't interfere with your subject. Only your process if it needed work. If that skull had a knife coming out of the eye with the teacher's name written overhead, well, questions should be asked to see if the student wants to talk. Otherwise you should be free to express yourself however you want.