Editor's Note: The Iconoclasts

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
The Iconoclasts

Mario. Sonic. Samus Aran. Master Chief. The game industry is known for creating icons, not destroying them. There are plenty of examples of videogame franchises built from the ground up that have become television shows, movies, even novels. Maybe that's the problem.

Read Full Article

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Articles with Joanthan Blow and Tim Schafer!

Omg omg omg, I predict the best issue ever. I offer you my unyeilding love mr Deam.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
I do want to see a morally challenging video game, the kind that makes you rething what you belive is right and wrong. In order to do that, though, people are going to have to bend and break the rules.

Do I belive this will happen? Yes; If something's happend before, then it can happen again. It will just take awhile.

In the meantime I'll read the articles. Then I'll finish reading Needful Things, which is turning out to be awesome.

Apologies Abound.

Finnish(ed)

Mar 16, 2008
I'm looking forward to seeing what new ideas this issue can provide, but I'm not actually expecting much, since the video game industry seems to be extremely derivative. Even the highly praised "Braid" seemed to embody the most basic of platformer dogmas. It also had me jumping on relatively impotent and completely unintelligent enemies, which is completely incomprehensible to me.

It would be great if more and larger developers would try to step outside the safe zone of the expected and tested. I see so much potential for games as a form of genuine and inspiring art, but I'm constantly left more or less unsatisfied. If I am allowed a metaphor: Instead of gourmet cuisine, we are served hamburgers by McDonald's.

The linked picture of Samus Aran made me think: "Now, that is just silly."