Editor's Note: The New School

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
The New School

Where did you get your videogame education? Chances are, it wasn't in a classroom.

Read Full Article

May 17, 2007
I got my education in playing games when I was young, from an older neighbour. First it was Lego spaceships (he would build them, I'd make them fly around with whooshing noises), and later it was video games. My neighbour introduced me to what I now consider "the classics": X-Com, Star Control, Civilization, Mechwarrior, Warcraft and later Starcraft, the original Grand Theft Auto. I'm not sure how I'd be different if not for the influence of a gaming mentor, but I'm sure that being introduced to these artifacts by such a venerable and respected authority figure (a full five years older than I was!) has influenced the way that I think about games as serious media, worth thinking deeply about and treating with respect.

By the way, since the site redesign, each article from the weekly issue has no easy link to the other articles from that issue. If the honourable site designers could add in an "Also in Issue 203" box, it would be appreciated.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
NES, trying to figure out what the heck was going on in Metroid at the tender age of 6.

I graduated from the consoles long ago, and spend much of my time in simulations and strategy games on my PC.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I've recently been trying to go back and get some of the games that have been considered among the top games in their genres, even for genres I don't necessarily play. Recently I got my hands on Silent Hill 2 and learned that I love survival horror when done right (I'm now looking for some of the Fatal Frames) and I look forward to exploring more of my ignored genres.

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
All my "education" came from have a brother 10yrs older than me. Where he got his "education" from is a mystery to me but at the same time I don't care either as my P.C. is better. Now the apprentice has overtaken the master.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Mine came from Sony. The Original Playstation. Then I went back a step and bought a Megadrive. From there, it was PS2, and Xbox360. The Sega taught me a lot...

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Fraser.J.A said:
By the way, since the site redesign, each article from the weekly issue has no easy link to the other articles from that issue. If the honourable site designers could add in an "Also in Issue 203" box, it would be appreciated.
We hear you, and it's definitely in the pipeline. Thanks for the feedback!

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
harhol said:
piers789 said:
All my "education" came from have a brother 10yrs older than me.
Same. Mine had ~200 copied Amiga games ready and waiting for when I was old enough to hold a joystick.
Wow. Well I can't say I was that well taught. Instead I spent countless hours on the Sega Master System 2 playing classics like Action Fighter and the mighty Alex Kid trying to beat my brothers high scores. That was all just for fun though, the real gaming started when I was Introduced to Wolfenstein 3D. I thank him every day for that.