Edna and Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes Review

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Edna and Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes Review

The fascinating tale of a girl, a stuffed rabbit, some gnomes, and mass murder.

Read Full Article

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Not funny?
When i played it i laughed my ass of.
It could be that it's much funnier in German, but in my opinion it's a great game.
The humor is of course really dark, with everyone dying aroung you and stuff.
It's dark humor, of course, but i had a great time, everytime i realized that, to get to the item that i need, i will have to do something that kills someone on the way.
You have to get into it with the right mind, and maybe the "unfunny" part is just because it's a translation from german, but it thought it's great.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i don't know how good the translation is but the original german is incredibly funny.
get it, this thing is really good

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Maybe something was lost in the translation, or maybe Germans just have a really different idea of "funny." I did laugh out loud once or twice, but the overall subject matter struck me as too dark and even tragic to work as humor. It was still great, but for me it was definitely for WTF than LOL.

Jack_in_theGreen

Apr 20, 2012
I would recommend getting it on GOG, which on top of being without DRM (and letting you make an infinite number of back-up copies for safe-keeping) brings the first game; "Edna & Harvey: The breakout".
Both games for less than US$20 is a bargain....

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
The GOG edition also includes the soundtrack, which is excellent. Have I mentioned that?

On the other hand, the Steam version is launching at 20 percent off. Tough choices!

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
4.5? So what do you give Edna & Harvey: The Breakout? This game is an extremely poor followup to the original.
-For a start you don't get even near the range of responses upon using objects. The Breakout had a different response for EACH object you used with anything in the environment. If you've played adventure games before, you'd know that's incredible. No other game does that.
-The characters are not interesting at all. Not one character came up against even the worst character from the Breakout.
-The voices are poorly done as is the writing, which were both strong points of The Breakout.

I wonder if the reviewer even played The Breakout. You'd think it would be a requirement for this review.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I didn't play The Breakout, and it's not really a requirement since we're not comparing one to the other. It may not have followed up on the first game in the way you'd have liked, but in its own right it's hardly a "very poor" anything.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
The issue I have with the game wasn't even touched upon. There's no settings options for lowering the overall performance that'll make it work on my computer. I can run Portal, Bioshock, even Telltale's Back to the Future on lower settings just fine. I can't even get Harvey's New Eyes to reliably move the mouse around, let alone animate properly.

I'm surprised nobody else is having performance issues. I already have gripes with the price tag of 20 bucks on Steam and GOG, and this certainly isn't helping me come to a decision in favour of it.

Jack_in_theGreen

Apr 20, 2012
I had issues with the disk version of "The breakout" I bought(to the point that the game didnt even run... :p), but not having issues with the GOG version...

JHoltz1

Oct 21, 2012
I love love LOVED this game and actually thought it was better than the first. It gets right down to business with the first few puzzles, and did not hide what kind of game it was.

The mood is creepy and just like "The Breakout" the cartoonish look had great juxtaposition with the dark story.

I played the English version and had many LOL's. But I happen to really like dark humor. It's the whole absurdity thing, which isn't for everyone. When reviews say you need to like "dark humor" they do mean "can you laugh at a murder?" I don't know what that says about me, but I can. Also, I don't enjoy gore. It just makes me nauseous, but the way it is handled here is perfect and just enough for me. It's the age old "what you don't see is much scarier"

The narrator was amazing, but I'm always a sucker of that kind of deadpan delivery. There were only a few points were it became too much. (Dungeon master argument, ect).

One negative: I really like the idea of mind control, but I can't ignore that this wasn't always executed in the best way, and there were a few plot holes.

This game was a lot of fun and stuck with me well after I finished playing. The creators don't hold your hand or give many outright answers. It's up to your own interpretation.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
JHoltz1 said:
I love love LOVED this game and actually thought it was better than the first. It gets right down to business with the first few puzzles, and did not hide what kind of game it was.

The mood is creepy and just like "The Breakout" the cartoonish look had great juxtaposition with the dark story.

I played the English version and had many LOL's. But I happen to really like dark humor. It's the whole absurdity thing, which isn't for everyone. When reviews say you need to like "dark humor" they do mean "can you laugh at a murder?" I don't know what that says about me, but I can. Also, I don't enjoy gore. It just makes me nauseous, but the way it is handled here is perfect and just enough for me. It's the age old "what you don't see is much scarier"

The narrator was amazing, but I'm always a sucker of that kind of deadpan delivery. There were only a few points were it became too much. (Dungeon master argument, ect).

One negative: I really like the idea of mind control, but I can't ignore that this wasn't always executed in the best way, and there were a few plot holes.

This game was a lot of fun and stuck with me well after I finished playing. The creators don't hold your hand or give many outright answers. It's up to your own interpretation.
Interesting. I thought the narrator was so bad I turned off the sound about a third of the way through, and never looked back. But I also thought the first game was a lot better, so I'm not surprised we have different views.