Educational "Death Strip" Game Condemned by Historian

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
spencer91 said:
And I'm sure all the people who lost their lives in the holocaust would have found it dishonorable to be portrayed in Schindler's List as well.

Why are video games seen as distasteful, when any other medium would be fine?
Yeah, but Schindler's List was a really good movie and it handled the subject matter with great care. Also, it was not at all sympathetic to the Germans, so I imagine both survivors and the deceased would have little to dishonored about. Maybe he just thought that this game was distasteful, especially since it enabled players to take on the role of the killers with nothing but a token "punishment" for the violence. I don't think target practice on civilians would have the same dramatic punch in a game, since digital murder is pretty commonplace in most games.

Also, movies are different medium in that way. We are inherently secondary to the action and events in most films, and directorial control is paramount. Games are usually about a sense of control/freedom and the ability to experience new worlds or live out a fantasy. This isn't always the case, but it could just be that this piece of history is better told through other mediums.

And actually, to be honest, I think this game idea would be better if the just focused on the civilians. They could invest the player in the fight to break through and then the guards become even more sinister because of how impossible they are to avoid. Imagine being forced to hide under the dying bodies of your friends and family as you wait for nightfall for the slim chance that you could make it the rest of the way. That's more horrifying and has more impact in my opinion. The player-control of the guards just robs the story of its inherent drama by taking focus from the tragedy of being a civilian in that time and place.