Edward Norton Dropped From Avengers Movie

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I have a feeling this will translate into a third reboot for the Hulk franchise.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Short Version:

Cheers, Ed--go hang out with Terrence Howard in the "How did I miss this bajillion-dollar boat?" section. Maybe these movies don't win awards, usually, but they pull in some SERIOUS cash and exposure.

----

This comes on the heels of the old articles talking about how they "weren't sure" if Norton would be coming back due to some creative differences.

Sounds to me like he wanted to commandeer the film, get himself some more screen time or higher billing of whatever, and Marvel said, "Dude. It's a TEAM movie. You'd be PART of the TEAM. We can't feature you that much without cutting into that." I mean, really, think about the Hulk movie--how much time was Ed Norton ACTUALLY on the screen? He was the STAR of that movie, and half the time he was replaced by a giant, green CGI Hulk. What did he really expect in a movie where he ISN'T the star?

And folks... c'mon... who's going to miss him? We've done the origin story for Hulk, so how long do you really think you'll be eyeballing Banner in this new movie anyway? They can make the Hulk himself look exactly the same, and you'll barely notice it.

I hate when actors get such big heads about things like this. There are THOUSANDS of people who could act just as well or better than anyone up there. The difference? The grew up in the wrong place or family, or have a birthmark in the wrong spot, or just didn't get that "lucky break" doing a soap commercial audition or whatever. Actors - You're not special, you're lucky. The best ones have always admitted it, rather than trying to act like they got where they are by some superhuman feat of blazing talent.

Yes, Ed Norton, you're good at what you do. But that doesn't mean you're irreplaceable, man.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I can't help reading this as "NORTON SMASH!"

No, Edward. Throwing the producer's car at the director's girlfriend is not cool.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Zing said:
Don Cheadle is the new Rhodes, Terrance Howard was the old one, they replaced him because the studio wouldn't pay Terrance how much he wanted.
That's the one. Regardless of reason, it's "proof" that you can change the actor and have it work. I felt Don Cheadle was very good in IM2!

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
tkioz said:
err is anyone else reading that as "Edward Norton is a fucking pirma donna and no-one wants to work with him"? That's what I'm getting out of the quotes.
Yep, although that doesn't make it better. Look, if somebody you work with is an ass but does a superb job, you don't fire them, you just put up with their behavior while at work and forget about it when you leave. I don't care if Norton is a prick to other people, I like his acting, and there is the continuity bit. Get him back, tell the other actors to grow up, and kick the Marvel head honcho off the set.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
I.. Didn't like Edward Norton as the Hulk. I didn't even see the need to remake a remake of a remake after Eric Bana already did a pretty damn good job of it.

There's absolutely no way Lou Ferrigno's coming back, seeing as he's not exactly acting anymore, nor is he available very often.

But eh, everyone else I've asked about Norton's Hulk was that he just didn't suit it, he was way too creepy for the role.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Its known that Norton nags till he gets a lot of screen time. This is the one time I actually believe the studio exec's reason.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
tkioz said:
err is anyone else reading that as "Edward Norton is a fucking pirma donna and no-one wants to work with him"? That's what I'm getting out of the quotes.
Yep, although that doesn't make it better. Look, if somebody you work with is an ass but does a superb job, you don't fire them, you just put up with their behavior while at work and forget about it when you leave. I don't care if Norton is a prick to other people, I like his acting, and there is the continuity bit. Get him back, tell the other actors to grow up, and kick the Marvel head honcho off the set.
What I don't like is the veiled way he said it, you don't say that shit about people publicly, it reflects worse on you then them, at least to people with half a brain. I've worked with people I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire, but in public I never say anything bad about them, it's just not done, it's rude.

They could have gone with the classic "scheduling issues" or something like that. Anyone who's in the know will know it's BS, and it lets both sides save face, there are times a little white lie is the right thing to do.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Arrrgggh.

I'll miss him. He was the best thing in the Incredible Hulk.

Doesn't mean he's irreplacable. Just the best actor for Bruce Banner, IMO. Marvel should have worked it out and kept him aboard.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
tkioz said:
there are times a little white lie is the right thing to do.
Unfortunately when you're referring to someone who took part in American History X, a little white lie has all the wrong connotations.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
coldalarm said:
Zing said:
Don Cheadle is the new Rhodes, Terrance Howard was the old one, they replaced him because the studio wouldn't pay Terrance how much he wanted.
That's the one. Regardless of reason, it's "proof" that you can change the actor and have it work. I felt Don Cheadle was very good in IM2!
I agree, but mostly because Terrance Howards face and voice annoy me. I don't even know why, I just want to punch him in the face..

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
tkioz said:
thethingthatlurks said:
tkioz said:
What I don't like is the veiled way he said it, you don't say that shit about people publicly, it reflects worse on you then them, at least to people with half a brain. I've worked with people I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire, but in public I never say anything bad about them, it's just not done, it's rude.

They could have gone with the classic "scheduling issues" or something like that. Anyone who's in the know will know it's BS, and it lets both sides save face, there are times a little white lie is the right thing to do.
I agree with you whole-heartedly: I find it very hard to believe that Norton can work with known egomanics like Fincher and Lee, but was unable to work with whomever the conflict was on this project. Yes, he has a bit of an ego about being involved creatively, but everything else about the guy seems to indicate that he's a pretty damn good person (multiple charities, rides the subway, refuses to play the 'celeb' card), so I'm kind of shocked that things couldn't have been worked out.

That, along with the rather childish and petty way they phrased that press release almost makes me wonder if it's even legitimate. They're going to alienate SOME people by saying those things, and not just fans. Hollywood people are going to be hesitant to work with somebody who trashes them in the media if they don't get along.

All and all, what I get out of this is: After IM & IM2, Marvel production team now thinks their bigger than God, and 'don't have to put up with any shit from no two-bit Hulk actor. Downey Jr.? Weeelllll yeah, but not Norton...'

Remember folks, when there is a dick-waving contest, there are, by definition, at least two penises being waved around.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
Soooo...Edward Norton won't be playing the Hulk in the Avengers movie because he's a dick and no one wants to work with him?

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Shame, I like him as Bruce Banner.
Marvel has spent a lot of time setting up this whole film universe, this is gonna mess up the continuity a bit.

flirl21187

Jun 28, 2010
Maybe Joss can convince them to use one of his "people" (and by that, I mean the actors who have worked for him in his shows) as the new Hulk character. That would be awesome. :)

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Look's like Marvel and Edward Norton simply can't agree, we'll see Bruce Banner being played by David Duchovny!

(Cookie for anyone who gets the reference)