EFF Calls Sony's Lawsuit Against PS3 Hackers "Dangerous"

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
SomethingAmazing said:
dathwampeer said:
Piracies bad Mmmkay. Even things that aren't piracy but could theoretically be used for piracy... well they're bad too mmmkay.

What Hotz does is perfectly legal. He bought the machine. He can do what he likes with it.

This will just turn out like the jailbreaking iphones case. Hackers win. Because they aren't doing anything wrong.

If not I want off this planet.
Actually that isn't correct.

When you buy a PS3, you are NOT buying the console. You do not own it, sony does. You buy the permission to use it. And even if that isn't the case, it really should be to give Sony more control over the product and it will help quash piracy.
I pretty sure hardware is not a part of copyright law.

Note: hardware not hardware design. Hardware design protected by copyright.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
dathwampeer said:
+10000000000000000 awesome points to you sir.

Seriously. You just made my day.

I'm so sick of the pedantry I see on these types of threads. People know perfectly well what sony is saying is incorrect. But everyone's so god damned anti-pirate these days that they'll ignore logic and reason if they think they're sticking it to the big bad long johns. Never mind the fact that a lot of people who open their consoles back up don't do it to pirate games.
It's fucking annoying.
Totally agree...it's almost like we made the same argument already.
EDIT: Deshin too.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
dathwampeer said:
I did. The way he used it worked. Comparing the ownership of a car to the ownership of a ps3. That's comparable.

And yes, the network terms is the only leg sony has to stand on. But the most they can do is deny them PSN service. No legal prosecution because they haven't done anything illegal. And there's still a far cry from PSN terms and public safety. So the analogy still doesn't work.
Yes, it does. It's just that you're saying "The car analogy works when it serves my purposes and doesn't when it doesn't serve my purposes." Both analogies are as comparable/non-comparable as the other.

dathwampeer said:
+10000000000000000 awesome points to you sir.

Seriously. You just made my day.

I'm so sick of the pedantry I see on these types of threads. People know perfectly well what sony is saying is incorrect. But everyone's so god damned anti-pirate these days that they'll ignore logic and reason if they think they're sticking it to the big bad long johns. Never mind the fact that a lot of people who open their consoles back up don't do it to pirate games.
It's fucking annoying.
As is the defense of pirates who are sticking it to the big bad corporations. People also know damn well that they're defending thieves who have the long list of rationalizations and similarly ignore logic and reason.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Urgh, so much stupidity...
Ok, here's the short version: when you buy a PS3, you are buying the complete hardware package. You may do with it as you wish, you may install whatever OS on there should you be able to do so (and the OS in question gives you legal permission to do so). Sony may not limit this in any way.
The online service is a bit trickier, as is the ability to play games. You did sign an agreement when you signed up for PSN. 'course, downloading updates and PSN are not necessarily connected, as newer games require PS updates, which you download even without a PSN account. Sony may limit updates to any OS they wish. However, the ability to install other OSs was advertised earlier, and one could reasonably claim to have bought the system for that reason. I suppose the hackers have a valid claim for compensation in this regard.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Haelium said:
icame said:
Haelium said:
icame said:
Again, huge number of hackers online somehow = most hackers? Most people in prison are weirdos, but that doesn't mean that most weirdos are in prison. Do you get me?
Prison is a horrible comparison. It is an extremely isolated part of society. Multiplayer games are a huge part of gaming now. With games like wow and cod, multiplayer is arguably bigger then single player nowadays for most gamers.
The comparison doesn't matter, I can apply it to other areas.
Most soldiers are male, but that does not mean that most males are soldiers.
Most politicians wear suits, but that does not mean that most people who wear suits are politicians.

I can go on, but it doesn't matter. I'm saying that your logic is flawed.
Again, isolated parts of society.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
gibboss28 said:
icame said:
You know what the word OVERRUN means right? An Activision employee said (Out of context mind you) that they might shut down the PS3 servers because its getting so bad. That means there's a hell of a lot of them. That means it probobly a huge chunk of the hackers that are doing it.
Source please.

SomethingAmazing said:
dathwampeer said:
Piracies bad Mmmkay. Even things that aren't piracy but could theoretically be used for piracy... well they're bad too mmmkay.

What Hotz does is perfectly legal. He bought the machine. He can do what he likes with it.

This will just turn out like the jailbreaking iphones case. Hackers win. Because they aren't doing anything wrong.

When you buy a PS3, you are NOT buying the console. You do not own it, sony does.
...When you buy a PS3 you ARE buying the console, you do own it. Just like other bits of computer/console hardware.
http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/call-of-duty-black-ops/news/activision-could-close-call-of-duty-black-ops-servers-on-psn-due-to-security-breaches/a-20110119155226722099/g-20100430155441848063

There's your source

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Garak73 said:
icame said:
gibboss28 said:
icame said:
You know what the word OVERRUN means right? An Activision employee said (Out of context mind you) that they might shut down the PS3 servers because its getting so bad. That means there's a hell of a lot of them. That means it probobly a huge chunk of the hackers that are doing it.
Source please.

SomethingAmazing said:
dathwampeer said:

When you buy a PS3, you are NOT buying the console. You do not own it, sony does.
...When you buy a PS3 you ARE buying the console, you do own it. Just like other bits of computer/console hardware.
http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/call-of-duty-black-ops/news/activision-could-close-call-of-duty-black-ops-servers-on-psn-due-to-security-breaches/a-20110119155226722099/g-20100430155441848063

There's your source
That has nothing to do with whether or not you own the PS3 you bought. Wrong link?
You quoted me saying source please when I stated Activision said they might shut down ps3 servers due to the level of hacking.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
icame said:
gibboss28 said:
icame said:
Source please.

SomethingAmazing said:
dathwampeer said:

There's your source
I've read the article and I read his blog, where's this bit about them closing down the servers because of hackers?

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
icame said:
Garak73 said:
icame said:
gibboss28 said:
icame said:
Source please.

SomethingAmazing said:
dathwampeer said:

There's your source
That has nothing to do with whether or not you own the PS3 you bought. Wrong link?
You quoted me saying source please when I stated Activision said they might shut down ps3 servers due to the level of hacking.
No, I quoted you. Not Garak

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
Ya know, I'd be a lot more supportive of hackers if they actually acted accountable for what they do.

"I'm just gonna provide y'all with the means to pirate games and cheat on PSN, but uh yeah, don't you go doing that! LOL"

Then, when the majority of people use the crack for doing JUST that, they feign innocence.

Too many blackhats masquerading as whitehats nowadays.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
gibboss28 said:
icame said:
gibboss28 said:
icame said:
Source please.

SomethingAmazing said:
dathwampeer said:

There's your source
I've read the article and I read his blog, where's this bit about them closing down the servers because of hackers?
"Publisher Activision may consider shutting down Call of Duty: Black Ops servers on the PlayStation Network due to the rampant hacking and cheating that has made online multiplayer a miserable experience for many PS3 owners."

First F'ing line D:

icame

Aug 4, 2010
gibboss28 said:
icame said:
Garak73 said:
icame said:
gibboss28 said:
icame said:
Source please.

SomethingAmazing said:
dathwampeer said:

There's your source
No, I quoted you. Not Garak
I dun goofed

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
icame said:
gibboss28 said:
icame said:
gibboss28 said:
icame said:
Source please.

SomethingAmazing said:
dathwampeer said:

There's your source
"Publisher Activision may consider shutting down Call of Duty: Black Ops servers on the PlayStation Network due to the rampant hacking and cheating that has made online multiplayer a miserable experience for many PS3 owners."

First F'ing line D:
Stupid smiley face and inabilty to say fucking aside, I did. How about you go and read the blog where they're getting their information. Other than in their title there is no other information about it.

Haelium

Jan 18, 2011
icame said:
It doesn't matter if they're isolated parts of society, I'm showing the flaw of your logic.

You're saying that because lots of people hacked MW2 that means that most hackers hack multiplayer. This simply doesn't make sense, you're missing a step in between to get to this conclusion. A huge number of people died in WW2, but that does not mean that most people died in WW2. Lots =/= Most.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Haelium said:
icame said:
It doesn't matter if they're isolated parts of society, I'm showing the flaw of your logic.

You're saying that because lots of people hacked MW2 that means that most hackers hack multiplayer. This simply doesn't make sense, you're missing a step in between to get to this conclusion. A huge number of people died in WW2, but that does not mean that most people died in WW2. Lots =/= Most.
1st off, does that really matter? If they could just stop hacking altogether everything would be awesome again. 2nd, I'm inclined to believe that when a game that has sold millions upon millions on the ps3 has been overrun by hackers, I'm inclined to believe that a metric asston of the hackers are hacking multiplayer. Do you have anything to suggest that most people hacking aren't using it for piracy or multiplayer hacking?

icame

Aug 4, 2010
gibboss28 said:
icame said:
gibboss28 said:
icame said:
Source please.

SomethingAmazing said:
dathwampeer said:

There's your source
"The publishers have the right to shut down the servers for their game at any time as well which based on the number of reported posts from users may be a viable solution over the free PSN."

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Treblaine said:
I very much agree with the EFF but I love their choice of phrase as - maybe it's the inner geek in me - but this scenario first comes to mind:

LAWYER: "Suing Hotz is dangerous. If word of this gets out, it
could generate sympathy for Piracy in the senate."

SONY: "I have traced the Rebel hackers to him. Now he is my only link
to find their secret base!"

LAWYER: "He'll lie before he admits anything."

SONY: "Leave that to me. Lawyer, tear their defence apart until you've found that master key
and bring me GeoHotz - I WANT HIM ALIVE!"

:D jk, I love you Sony but sorry you can't help but look like the bad guy here. Come on, I know there is good in you.
The star wars fanboy in me is squeeling like a teenage girl.

The adult in me is squeeling like a teenage girl.

You just made my day. =^-^=

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
As long as it doesn't affect online interaction then it will become legal. Once people start hacking the PSN though...all hell is going to break loose.