Egypt's First Woman Ship Captain Marwa Elselehdar Blamed For Suez Canal Blockage Despite Not Being On Boat

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The saga of the Ever Given was a beautiful one while it lasted—is there anything funnier than a large boat getting stuck in the narrow Suez Canal?—but it’s had lasting supply chain effects that are pretty miserable. And that’s not even as bad as the flack that one woman—Marwa Elselehdar—is getting for a role she didn’t even play in the event.

Elselehdar, 29, is Egypt’s first-ever female ship captain, and when the Ever Given blocked the Suez Canal, she realized that people were placing her at the center of the fiasco. People were using social media to share a doctored screenshot of an Arab Times headline that claimed she was at the helm of the ship at the time it was stuck. It appeared that the headline had been altered from a March 22 profile of Elselehdar praising her successes. You can see the doctored headline here.

The news came as a shock to Elselehdar, who was working as a first mate on the Aida IV vessel near Alexandria, which is hundreds of miles away.

And that wasn’t all. People began making Twitter accounts with her name claiming responsibility and furthers spreading the false rumors.

“I felt that I might be targeted maybe because I’m a successful female in this field or because I’m Egyptian, but I’m not sure,” she told the BBC this weekend.

As you can imagine, piloting a ship isn’t exactly a realm rife with equality. The International Maritime Organization notes that only two percent of the world’s seafarers are women—and 94 percent of those women work in the cruise industry.

So, it makes sense, unfortunately, that Elselehdar has received backlash for her very presence. She was the first woman to enroll in Egypt’s naval academy and captained the Aida IV when it was the very first vessel to traverse the newly-expanded Suez Canal in 2015.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How the fuck do you blame someone who was never on the boat to begin with? Sexist assholes that can't take responsibility. Fuck them.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Who was Captaining the ship when it crashed? No one? I've looked and I read about "managers" and stuff but cannot find who was captaining the ship when it crashed.

EDIT: I just re-read the linked article. No mention of who was captaining the ship when it crashed. Very odd.

2nd EDIT: Just found this, " two Egyptian canal pilots" were in charge apparently. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/03/29/suez-canal-pilots/ Is it normal to have 2 "pilots" in such a delicate situation rather than a captain? Maybe it is. Dunno.

Last edited:

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Unbelievable how some people feel the need to attack someone innocent when stuff like this happens, especially someone who should be praised for her achievements instead.

Who was Captaining the ship when it crashed? No one? I've looked and I read about "managers" and stuff but cannot find who was captaining the ship when it crashed.

EDIT: I just re-read the linked article. No mention of who was captaining the ship when it crashed. Very odd.

2nd EDIT: Just found this, " two Egyptian canal pilots" were in charge apparently. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/03/29/suez-canal-pilots/ Is it normal to have 2 "pilots" in such a delicate situation rather than a captain? Maybe it is. Dunno.
There pilots will come aboard and steer the ship in some passages. I believe it is obligatory in the Panama Canal, and I think you must have pilot when entering the port in Hamburg. I don't know whether or not it is obligatory in the Suez, but the captain certainly doesn't disembark before travelling through the canal.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
There pilots will come aboard and steer the ship in some passages. I believe it is obligatory in the Panama Canal, and I think you must have pilot when entering the port in Hamburg. I don't know whether or not it is obligatory in the Suez, but the captain certainly doesn't disembark before travelling through the canal.
I believe I read somewhere early on that it's obligatory to have canal pilots in the Suez as well.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Unbelievable how some people feel the need to attack someone innocent when stuff like this happens, especially someone who should be praised for her achievements instead.

The linked article reads that they are not ruling out human error in this. If someone is at fault... I state, IF, then yes. There should be some sort of response. This crash caused a lot of people a lot of harm. You write that the Captain doesn't disembark before traveling through the canal. Still wondering if they had a captain at that time and who that captain is.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009

Yep. Ships have to pay local Egyptian pilots to steer them through the Suez canal.

I've heard of at least one story where the main pilot sat in the ship's rec room and treated themselves to all the galley had to offer whilst the junior co-pilot did all the hard work.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'd been hearing there were something like four captains on the ship when shit rocketed fanward, and based on this story that was probably a gross simplification of the two Canal Pilots, the actual ship's Captain and Executive Officer being aboard. I mean, I can't imagine anyone in any position of command of this unmitigated fiasco is ever going to work in commercial shipping again or be allowed to command any boat that isn't equipped with oars. But, until the Maritime Investigators (or whatever they're called) come back with something I have no idea what may have happened.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Is this like those old pirate superstitions that you can't have a woman on board because it'll bring bad weather? Did she curse the ship with her vagina?

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Is this like those old pirate superstitions that you can't have a woman on board because it'll bring bad weather? Did she curse the ship with her vagina?
She happens to be the only female captain in Egypt, one might suspect that has drawn the ire of some of the people most of us would rather not share a planet with.

Yep. Ships have to pay local Egyptian pilots to steer them through the Suez canal.

I've heard of at least one story where the main pilot sat in the ship's rec room and treated themselves to all the galley had to offer whilst the junior co-pilot did all the hard work.
If so that is makes the egyptian demand for a billion dollars worth of compensation hilariously misplaced.

Reactions: BrawlMan

bobdark

Legacy
Apr 7, 2008
Just to answer the question of having a pilot come on board. Yes whenever you are traveling though certain places you will have a local come on board to steer the ship for you. While in the Navy we always had to use a pilot whenever pulling into Hawaii because of how hard in it is to do.

On a related note the Captain does not steer the ship, a master helmsman will always handle the job. Even when the ship is steaming on auto pilot a helmsman is required to be on the bridge.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
If so that is makes the egyptian demand for a billion dollars worth of compensation hilariously misplaced.
I should clarify, the story I read about the pilot leaving everything to his deputy whilst he treated himself to a meal did not relate to the Ever Given: my apologies as that was not clear from my initial comment. I meant it to say that the pilots aren't always that assiduous in a general sense, not this specfic cock-up.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I should clarify, the story I read about the pilot leaving everything to his deputy whilst he treated himself to a meal did not relate to the Ever Given: my apologies as that was not clear from my initial comment. I meant it to say that the pilots aren't always that assiduous in a general sense, not this specfic cock-up.
I was rather considering the fact that it is always a pilot in charge, not a helmsman or captain.