Eidos Courts Deus Ex Virgins With New Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Eidos Courts Deus Ex Virgins With New Trailer

If all the talk of upgrades and augmentations has you confused, this Deus Ex: Human Revolution trailer is for you.

The original Deus Ex is so well regarded that it's easy to forget that it's been over ten years since it came out, and not everyone will know what it's about. Fortunately, Eidos Montreal, the studio behind the upcoming Deus Ex: Human Revolution [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JA7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312384678&sr=8-1], hasn't forgotten, and has put together a trailer for people who wouldn't know an augmentation if it upgraded them right in the face.

The trailer covers the basics of Human Revolution's story - when it's set, what's going on, and who you're playing as - and then dives into the how you play the game. It covers the four pillars of Deus Ex gameplay - combat, stealth, hacking, and social interaction - as well as augmentations and weapon mods, and shows how you can take different approaches to the same situation, like talking your way out of a hostage situation, rather than going on the offensive.

If you've played Deus Ex before, or are an RPG fan in general, then there's not going to be a lot of information that surprises you, but for the real novice, it's not a bad introduction. That's not to say that it's not worth your time if you do happen to be a Deus Ex expert; seeing more of a game that is shaping up to be very good indeed is never a bad thing.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on August 23rd.

Source: Machinima [http://www.machinima.com]

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Really looking forward to this, no doubt Skyrim will take more of my time but I think Deus Ex is the game of the year.

Jaser

Mar 30, 2010
Damn, I want this game.
Unfortunately, from the look of the trailers so far, I don't think you're gonna be able to play through the whole game without killing a single person (besides that one guy in the Cathedral), but as long as it isn't like the-game-which-shall-not-be-named, I think it'll do just fine.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I can't wait to play it. Though Adam sounds like Batman from Nolan's movies. Does he gurgle gravel in the morning?

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Looks better and better each time I see it. I am really intrigued about this one, but I want to wait until its release before buying to see how it turns out; I have been very conservative with my wallet this year because I've already pledged money to Rage, BF3 and ME3.

If they deliver on all the promises, I will be sold!

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
The narrator in this trailer is great. It very much reminds me of old school sci-fi narrators and eariler era trailer narrators.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I'm getting this despite hating the art direction.

I wonder if I can go through the game without killing anyone. I'll certainly try.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
DustyDrB said:

I wonder if I can go through the game without killing anyone. I'll certainly try.
Good on you, watching that trailer made me put that as a personal objective as well. (we'll try a mix of persuasion and stealth on for size)

Oct 30, 2010
I first read this as Eidos courts ex-virgins, which seemed an unreasonably large demographic to target.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I wish they'd quit putting out videos and release the game already. I've already pre-purchased it on Steam, and these videos aren't helping my patience.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
I want to watch the trailer but I refuse to watch anything about Deus Ex. I've been waiting too long to have anything spoiled for me. This is going to be complete surprise.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I was back and forth on this for awhile- that early gameplay trailer was absolute crap- but now I'm finally settling into a bemused interest.

Still, only one complaint remains: What's up with Adam's "The Dark Knight" voice? It was annoying enough coming out of Batman, and you sir are no Batman.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Ghengis John said:
DustyDrB said:

Good on you, watching that trailer made me put that as a personal objective as well. (we'll try a mix of persuasion and stealth on for size)
Yep, that's the approach I was thinking of. Sneak past the goons and charm everyone else into a group hug.

How do you actually pick your responses? On the "Social" trailer, I didn't see anything on the HUD. Maybe certain keys/buttons are dedicated to certain response types?

gonzo20

Dec 18, 2008
ooh yes super stealthyness here we go! hopefully you can get out of any situation with stealth, hacking and social so you can get more of a feel for the first game and i hope they give you a bonus for not killing people

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
I will most definitely be pre-ordering this game. I'm an avid fan of the original, loved it to bits and still play it to this day. Was hugely disappointed in iWar (haha), but Eidos looks to have covered brilliantly for Ion Storm's blunder with this game. Everything I've seen and heard about this game has been good imo (unlike a certain other game I could mention).

I forsee a glowing 9/10 review in my immediate working future...

super_mumbles

Sep 24, 2008
Looks pretty good, but I hope they let us play it all stealthy.

The trailer seemed to focus more on running in and gunning everyone down.
Probably trying to draw in a bigger market, which is fine but here's hoping they don't forget too much about the other parts.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Just preordered the collectors edition of this. I am so stoked it's horrible. I played the original now (because I was too younge when it came out) and I fell in love. I can not wait :D

Adam Jenson <3 X3