Eidos Montreal Confirms Next-Gen Deus Ex is in The Works

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Eidos Montreal Confirms Next-Gen Deus Ex is in The Works

The next Deus Ex is just the first part of a new Universe.

Eidos Montreal is working on the next entry in the Deus Ex series for PC and next-gen consoles, the studio confirmed today via their community blog [http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Future-Vision-for-Deus-Ex]. According to the post, written by studio chief David Anfossi, production is already underway with most of the team behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution returning to work on the sequel.

The next Deus Ex will kick off an "ongoing, expanding and connected game" called Deus Ex: Universe. The developer says the multi-game experience will span "a generation of core games" on PC, consoles, smartphones, tablets, along with other media including books and graphic novels.

Eidos also released a single piece of concept art to set the stage for the next game. Seen above, the image depicts a "ghetto-city" that separates trans-humans (cyborgs) from others. It appears that, in the time since Human Revolution, there's been a strong backlash against getting cybernetic enhancements. Eidos claims that "trans-human segregation" is "the backdrop" for the upcoming game.

Eidos says that the new Deus Ex is a long ways off, so don't expect a big announcement any time soon.

Source: Eidos Montreal [http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Future-Vision-for-Deus-Ex]

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
"The next Deus Ex will kick off an "ongoing, expanding and connected game" called Deus Ex: Universe. The developer says the multi-game experience will span "a generation of core games" on PC, consoles, smartphones, tablets, along with other media including books and graphic novels."

...I really don't like where that's going O_O
I should probably start lower my expectations about now.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I wonder- will they reboot Deus Ex, or story of the new game will be connected to Deus Ex.
Because it should be connected, because Deus Ex is one awesome game.

What I would like to see is sequel done right.
Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those rare people who liked Invisible War, but I must admit that it is weakest game of trilogy.
And despite its flaws, IW have a potential of great sequel (if you take Renegade ending as basis of sequel story)

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
I don't care what spinoff bullshit they try and shoehorn into mobile devices, I just want a full Deus Ex game. I am going to get a full Deus Ex game, so I am happy.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Sounds like Adam took the Darrow option if the backlash against augments is that great. Also, you can have whatever smart phone BS you want, if I can get a Dues Ex game that I can play seamlessly, you can do whatever crap you want.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Edios is part of SquareEnix isn't it?

That would explain the attempts to turn Deus Ex into a cashcow.

Chester Rabbit said:
"The next Deus Ex will kick off an "ongoing, expanding and connected game" called Deus Ex: Universe. The developer says the multi-game experience will span "a generation of core games" on PC, consoles, smartphones, tablets, along with other media including books and graphic novels."

...I really don't like where that's going O_O
I should probably start lower my expectations about now.
How low?

I'm close to 'observing the train wreck' which is normally occupied by EA and the Xbone.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
blackrave said:
I wonder- will they reboot Deus Ex, or story of the new game will be connected to Deus Ex.

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those rare people who liked Invisible War, but I must admit that it is weakest game of trilogy.
And despite its flaws, IW have a potential of great sequel (if you take Renegade ending as basis of sequel story)
I also include myself as one of the minority who likes Invisible War. If there's one thing that game did well, it was provided choices during gameplay that actually affected the story, which even the original Deus Ex didn't do till right near the end. Also , the self shadowing from the modified UE2 engine the game ran on really provided some much needed atmosphere, especially when the poor gameplay tended to break immersion.

Splitting the new game into bits and releasing it on different mediums/platforms sounds like a really bad idea, didn't they learn anything from the recent Deus Ex phone/tablet game?

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Sigh at people.
They say they want the IP to span all kinds of media including books and films, I don't see them saying the "New game" will be split over different media and platform which it isn't and won't so seriously stop crying over milk that hasn't even been spilt.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013

ffs, ENOUGH with the terrible tie in tablet/smartphone games. Can they please continue this emerging trend of stuffing game content into other platforms. If they intentionally try to cut out content from the game, and expect people to go buy every little app for a better gaming 'experience' then they need adjust their policies.

Otherwise, yay more Deus Ex is on it's way~

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It kind of sounds like they are making a cross platform MMO type monster. I'm not suprised there will be cash-in apps, books and comics (that's par for the course with AAA releases these days) but I'd rather they focus on making a compelling game rather than a multimedia 'experience'.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Looking forward to a next gen Deus Ex but at the same time saddened that people don't want me to enjoy anything Deus Ex on my Nexus 7.

God forbid I'll buy anything with the incentive and hope that something game related comes to what I buy with other users permission ¬_¬.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Hopefully they use the next gen hardware ambitiously. Smarter AI and some physics would be great.
uggh, just say no to tablet games people.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Deus Ex: Human Revolution gave the player 3 choices (it was 3, right?) in the end. Making a sequel kinda impossible, from a story standpoint. If a sequel is happening it will render your choices meaningless. Then again, the choices were already poorly implemented, but you still had a choice. Now Eidos will be choosing your future.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Talaris said:
blackrave said:

I also include myself as one of the minority who likes Invisible War. If there's one thing that game did well, it was provided choices during gameplay that actually affected the story, which even the original Deus Ex didn't do till right near the end. Also , the self shadowing from the modified UE2 engine the game ran on really provided some much needed atmosphere, especially when the poor gameplay tended to break immersion.

Splitting the new game into bits and releasing it on different mediums/platforms sounds like a really bad idea, didn't they learn anything from the recent Deus Ex phone/tablet game?
Im not the only one who enjoyed Invisible War? *Yay*

But as to this game, i cant help but feel Eidos has just dragged out the Corpse of a horse and raised its baseball bat...

I want it to be good, but i just dont feel its particularly likely.

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
If there is a Full Deus Ex game coming out of this, then consider myself curious.

The question is, what's the timeline this is taking place in, i mean i can see this as an interquel between either HR and the main game or between it and IW but what about before HR and IW, this does seem like it could be another prequel... I'm not sure what to make of this.

And you know, alot of people say they asked for this, but I wonder what would happen if this next game wasn't very good or didn't really feel like Deus Ex CoughThi4fcough........ or more likely didn't meet their expectations about it. would they accept the possibility of this happening or go riot crazy over it?

I mean it is a possibility...... that goes nice with cheesy popcorn.

guess I'll have to wait for more news, and fan reactions.