Eidos Pondering Makeover for Lara Croft

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
The problem was there was TOO MANY GAMES TO PLAY. I plan on getting this soon but at it's release there was too much for me to play.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
They really don't understand that the reason why it sold badly was that the series is dead. Stop beating the dead horse for Christ's sake.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I'll make her over.

I don't even know what that means.

Anywho I don't think you can get blood from a sont, no matter how manny times you hit a dead horse with it.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
All that really needs to happen to this game as I see it is to get slightly better combat mechanics and develop some kind of camera that actually works.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Fightgarr said:
All that really needs to happen to this game as I see it is to get slightly better combat mechanics and develop some kind of camera that actually works.
This. You have been this'd

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
I thought underworld was the best in actual gameplay terms with the abbandoning of boss fights
but in franchise terms TR isn't the big name that it was despite CD doing a much better job than core design ever did.
Tomb raider brushs up to perfection but has never been truely outstanding

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
I've play a good chunk of the new Tomb Raider on a friends xbox and its honestly, though i'd never thought I'd say this, the current Tomb Raider is better than the current Prince of Persia.
I dunno, that's what I thought to start with (playing PC port), but after I worked out how to run it at 1920x1200 with max settings I'm actually starting to enjoy it. The cel-shaded thing looks better than I expected and I love the "you can't die" thing. Combat is relatively simple and you don't really need to worry about chaining combos if you don't want to. There is a lot of plot dialogue, but you only hear it if you want to (you have to specifically press the "talk to Elika" button.)

It's no Sands of Time, but it's enjoyable (to me at least).

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Honestly? I thought Legend was pretty damn good, I've yet to play underworld. What they need is more cool stuff, less ostentacious wankfactor (some wankfactor, but don't beat us in the face with it), a cool story- Laura finds something only the Knights Templar are looking for it an-oh wait thats the plot of Assasins Creed, nevermind.

Look, Tomb Raider is about... Indiana Jones with Tits. Give us some action, give us some adventure, give us the supernatural, give us combat. Maybe add hand to hand combat. Make Laura badass, let her pistol whip people. The Combat has ALWAYS been Tomb Raiders weakpoint. Give us PoP style platforming and some gunkata combat. Perhaps rewrite Laura's backstory so she spends her youth after her family dies training in the wilderness like Batman.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
How about actually make it run on PCs? Whenever I try to run it tells me to update my graphics drivers and won't run... when they are up to date.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Samah said:
SomeBritishDude said:
I've play a good chunk of the new Tomb Raider on a friends xbox and its honestly, though i'd never thought I'd say this, the current Tomb Raider is better than the current Prince of Persia.
I dunno, that's what I thought to start with (playing PC port), but after I worked out how to run it at 1920x1200 with max settings I'm actually starting to enjoy it. The cel-shaded thing looks better than I expected and I love the "you can't die" thing. Combat is relatively simple and you don't really need to worry about chaining combos if you don't want to. There is a lot of plot dialogue, but you only hear it if you want to (you have to specifically press the "talk to Elika" button.)

I wouldn't say Prince of Persia is bad its just...muh. Sands of Time is my faviourite game of all time, Warrior Within was bad at first but won me over in the end, and Two Thrones is a great blending of the two and a satisfactory ending to the series. But the new one just leaves me feeling...a bit down to be honest. It beautiful, but thats all it is. God, I've got to do a review of that game...

But back on topic

Theres some fundimental things with Tomb Raider that [b/] need [/b] to be redone, and a reboot could be what this fanchise needs.

-Get the camera right! I need to see where I'm jumping, stop pointing straight at her fucking arse!

-Get combat right, or better yet, replace it with a cover system.

-Get rid of thoughs twats who keep talking to her in the new ones. Geeky posh boy and the Generic Black guy can go fuck themselves.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
johnx61 said:
new_age_reject said:
NO they should not!
Dear god they need to let this one die.
I absolutely LOVE the original, the second and at a push, the third.
It's like Hitman, Splinter Cell, Star Wars (apart from the next KOTOR) and many other franchises that do not need any more mediocre games to try and milk some more cash.
Also the problem with the old Batmen is how camp they were and how real the latest was.
Wait, did you just call Tim Burton's Batman "camp"?

Do you even know what camp means? I think you should go look it up.

Adam West Batman = camp

Tim Burton Batman = Anything but camp.
Actually I would say that Tim Burtons batman is a bit campy to, espesially compared to this new crap.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Samah said:
SomeBritishDude said:

I wouldn't say Prince of Persia is bad its just...muh. Sands of Time is my faviourite game of all time, Warrior Within was bad at first but won me over in the end, and Two Thrones is a great blending of the two and a satisfactory ending to the series. But the new one just leaves me feeling...a bit down to be honest. It beautiful, but thats all it is. God, I've got to do a review of that game...

But back on topic

Theres some fundimental things with Tomb Raider that [b/] need [/b] to be redone, and a reboot could be what this fanchise needs.

-Get the camera right! I need to see where I'm jumping, stop pointing straight at her fucking arse!

-Get combat right, or better yet, replace it with a cover system.

-Get rid of thoughs twats who keep talking to her in the new ones. Geeky posh boy and the Generic Black guy can go fuck themselves.
I actually liked her team, and I thought it was funny Laura keeps a bevvy of beautiful young men in her house as her support. Kinda makes her the female James Bond.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Nah her crew was a bit lame Lara should just be on her own they were more plot devices than actual characters anyway

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
johnx61 said:
Edit: I should also say that I find it stupid to imply that no one liked the Tim Burton Batman movies. Ok, no one liked Batman Forever or Batman and Robin. But that's because they were an amazingly bad departure from the dark and tragic atmosphere of the first two movies.

And saying that Nolan's Batman is somehow an upbeat character is equally stupid and you might as well say it's an Adam West Batman if you're going to follow that logic.

Batman is, and always will be, a tragic figure.

The only reason for the insane popularity of "The Dark Knight" was the buzz surrounding the death of Heath Ledger combined with the fact that Film Noir is "in" right now.
I know this is a bit off topic, but I gotta say something about this.

No offense, but you're wrong about Batman.

Batman Begins and the The Dark Knight were successful b/c they were F*cking Awesome!

They didn't look like a bad comic book with horrible dialogue, bad set design, and comic cliches! They look like that might kinda actually happen in the real world. The sets and costumes were well done, and the support actors were terrific.

Tim Burton's movies, while not as horrible as BF and B&R, were still pretty bad.

Take Star Wars as an example. The original trilogy, while being made over 30 years ago, still stands the test of time, while Batman and Batman Returns, made about 20 years ago, look like a poorly made B movie. I've seen "SciFi Original" Movies that look better.

Burton's movies weren't "Dark and Tragic", they were just DARK, and by DARK, I mean lighting. Even the DAYTIME scenes were so dark it was ridiculous. I was 10 and I fell asleep in the theater when I saw it with my dad. And don't get me started with the horrible Gotham set designs, including, but not limited too statues of naked men every 15 feet. And don't forget the penguins with missiles and rubber duck boats.....

Nolan's Batman isn't an "upbeat character" in the least! But he's BELIEVABLE. Every Batman before was either too old, or was horribly acted. The supporting actors, including beloved actors like Danny Devito, Arnold, and Christopher Walken, acted too cliche and had a horrible script to work with.

I just get sick of all this "Dark Knight" hate. The movie would have been just as successful without his tragic death. It was one of the best written, directed, and acted superhero movies ever made, and I think it deserves more respect.

EDIT: At least with Batman and Robin, Jim Carrey did a serviceable job as the Riddler. Not really realistic, but at least he was witty and kept me entertained, unlike Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Jack's Joker, Bane (which was a travesty! Bane was very intelligent as well as strong)

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
TsunamiWombat said:
I actually liked her team, and I thought it was funny Laura keeps a bevvy of beautiful young men in her house as her support. Kinda makes her the female James Bond.
The idea itself is solid. I like the idea that theres someone for Lara to talk to, just like in Half-Life 2 where Gorden has Alyx. But I just don't like the characters themselves. I find them forgetable at best, irrataiting at worst

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I think Eidos should shut the fuck up about every single game they are making or thinking about making until Battlestations: Pacific is released and is the best game ever unleashed upon mankind.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Brockyman said:
I just get sick of all this "Dark Knight" hate. The movie would have been just as successful without his tragic death. It was one of the best written, directed, and acted superhero movies ever made, and I think it deserves more respect.
Agreeded. Heath Ledgers performance as the Joker was captivating, and not because he died. Though it has to be said, his death did probley help the film along.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
Brockyman said:
Agreeded. Heath Ledgers performance as the Joker was captivating, and not because he died. Though it has to be said, his death did probley help the film along.
I would agree to a small extent, but I don't think it pushed it to the #2 film of all time...probably a mil or two. I really wanted it to beat out Titanic...

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Now to answer the topic: Honestly I've never really liked Tomb Raider Games. Yahtzee put it best when he said the "handles like an cow in a supermarket trolley". I just never found it fun. But I hope the developers can find away to make it good for the fans that enjoy it